Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

I have a Yorkshire terrier and he has a very bad licking problem. The medicine the vet gave me did nothing. Please help, he's driving me crazy, but I love him to death.

By Ann from Port St. Lucie, FL

Read Archives at bottom of site.

Try putting Omega 3 fatty acid in food when she eats. I just puncture the capsule and squeeze it on. Also, if she is obsessive compulsive, she may need Prozac. Good luck to you.

September 27, 2010 Flag

How can you stop your dog from licking too much?

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

Well, that depends on if the dog is licking YOU too much or himself. If he is licking himself too much, you can always buy or make a "cone" to put around his neck that will keep him from being able to reach the spot that he has been irritating long enough for it to heal. If the dog is licking you or other people excessively, I have always tapped my dog on the nose and sternly said "no lick!" and after a little while they learn not to be so free with their tongue. (12/15/2008)

By THampton

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

I think that I would take him to see his veterinarian before trying anything.

My Siam-Manx tom began licking and scratching himself until he had licked and scratched a lot of his fur off. The vet looked at him, took a blood and other samples, then told me that he was allergic to flea bites and droppings! I didn't even know he had fleas! We had just moved into our present home, and the previous owners had had a couple of outside dogs. It turned out that when we were walking our Pomeranian, he was getting infected with fleas, too!

We had them treated, and began using a prescription product for fleas on both of them, then had the yard organically treated to get rid of the fleas, as well as inside our home. Sorry, but that's my 2 ce...uh, 30 or 40 cents worth! Good luck, sweetie. (12/16/2008)

By Whitebrook

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

I would look to see if you have added any new food to your dog's diet. I would see the vet for fleas or any other environmental changes. It sounds like allergies or fleas to me. Our dog is 28 lbs. He takes Benadryl, one pink tablet 2xs a day. It's 25mg. He also uses a hypoallergenic moisturizing shampoo from the vet. Make sure when you walk and he or she goes outside that he stays away from things that could irritate him. Good Luck! You will both sleep better when this gets resolved. (12/18/2008)

By Melinda

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

Our English mastiff was licking one of his feet raw. Our vet checked him and said he had a curious sort of fungal infection, and prescribed an antibiotic. It's helping, but when we hear him at the foot again, we speak sternly to him and he'll stop. He knows he's being a naughty boy!

My hubby has had quite a few dogs over the years. I know the cones help some people and their dogs, they just didn't work for our "beasties." (12/18/2008)

By JustPlainJo

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

I agree; take him to the vet. (12/18/2008)

By Maryeileen

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

Scoot across the floor to work up static, and then when she comes to lick you, you won't taste so good. You'll know how much static to use. Ever put your tongue on both poles of a 9 volt battery? (No other kind of battery of course!) (12/18/2008)

By kimhis

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

Find out the cause of the licking and treat that instead of treating the symptom. Good luck. (12/19/2008)

By Carol in PA

Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much

Ok, here is what you do: I have a dog with the same licking issue, but all you have to do is train your dog to give kisses on command. Visit your local Pet Smart and talk to one of the trainers about kissing on command.

Best of luck, Lauren (12/29/2008)

By lmn95

Dog Licking Paw
Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 27, 2010
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
A cat wearing a cone on its head.
Keeping a Cat From Licking a Wound
dog licking a toy cat
Remedies for Dogs Obsessively Licking