Use Newspaper To Absorb Spills

This is an old tip - but remember that newspaper is very absorbent - so use it as a frugal alternative to sop up spills. (But remember that on a light surface, the ink may run. In a bathroom, say, use a bottom layer of paper towels between the bulk of the newspaper and the linoleum or you will get ink stains on the floor!) It's also great for cleaning glass surfaces, leaves no lint!

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles, CA

You are so right! My 2 Chihuahua's use them for potty pads! (Dogs are too tiny to go out in the winter in SD...they would flash freeze!)

Good points! I would like to add, one of the best ways I've found for cleaning glass is to use crumpled newspaper and distilled vinegar. For things like car windshields with stubborn spots (such as road tar or tree sap) first scrub with a non-scratching, gently abraisive powder such as "Babo" or Bon Ami", water and newspaper. Then rinse well and use the vinegar / newspaper trick to remove any streaks and such.

Recently, I have been on a mission trying to get my family & myself to cut back on paper towel usage. While I have been using cloth napkins for years, the paper towel was still on the counter. First I started by putting the roll in a less convenient place, like under the kitchen sink, forcing people to use a kitchen towel rather than PT. But, I was still having a problem with yucky spills, like cat barf for instance :-) Then it hit me, why not clean up the cat mess with newspaper & then wet wipe the floor with a reusable rag, like my mom used to do. Now that I think of it my mom used to use newspapers for a lot of messy jobs. I guess we have just gotten spoiled with the convenience of PT's right there on the counter.

Thanks for the tips,

Trish in CT

Uses for Newspaper, Stack of Newspapers
Uses for Newspaper
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsSeptember 24, 2007
Plastic Newspaper Bag
Uses for Plastic Newspaper Bags
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Newspaper Nail Art
Newspaper Nail Art
Spilled Milk in kitchen
Preventing Spills in the Kitchen