Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide

My best cleaning tip is hydrogen peroxide. I put it in a spray bottle and clean everything in my bathroom from sinks to toilets, chrome, and mirrors. It also sanitizes and kills germs. It is a real time saver for me, I just spray and wipe. Try It! I hope you like my tip.

Source: This is a tip a janitorial worker shared with me years ago.

By c4m2 from Portsmouth, VA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By bobbie adams01/06/2014

I ruined a nice dress once trying to get an ink stain out, I was amazed when I poured peroxide on it came right out.

By jenny [2]02/12/2011

Will it work on fiberglass tubs? Signed, desperate.

By LaurieS [8]02/12/2011

I have mystery stains on some of my cotton t-shirts. Probably grease stains or maybe coffee. Does the HP work on these type of stains if they are already set in? Also the shirts are dark colors will it fade in the spots?

By susan [5]06/11/2010

Does it discolor fabric the way that bleach does? I'm afraid to use diluted bleach because it may spray onto my clothes and ruin them. If peroxide won't do that, I think that I'll make it my cleaner of choice.

By Teri Van Hecke [7]06/09/2010

I keep a spray bottle under the kitchen sink, to sanitize the counters. The other day I was putting away the drainer, for drying dishes - decided to give it a spray - OMG! If foamed up all over - YUK! So, I let it sit there a while, then w/ the hottest water, scrubbed it clean and gave it another spritz! There are so many things that carry germs, huh?

By Kelly Lawrence [1]06/08/2010

If you put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle, make sure the bottle is opaque. It is light sensitive and loses much of its power to disinfect upon prolonged exposure to light.

By Karen Kennedy [1]06/08/2010

Great info. ALso removes blood from fabric without harming the fabric!!

By Pat [11]06/08/2010

I keep a spray bottle of it to remove stains before laundry, as well as cleaning. I wish I had known how versatile it is when my children were little.
Pat

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide works well for cleaning cuts, so it should be no surprise that it is effective for blood stains. It can have a bleaching effect so you will want to pretest it before applying it to a fabric stain. Keep a spray bottle of peroxide handy to tackle tough blood stains, even dried ones.

For blood stains on carpet, pour peroxide directly on the stain and blot with clean cloth. Pretest this solution on a remnant. Hydrogen peroxide can be purchased in the first aid section of your local drug store or grocery store. Always keep a bottle on hand.

RE: Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide

When you cut your finger, put peroxide on it and a bandage. But don't put peroxide on it after taking the bandage off as it slows in the healing process that has already started (got this info from a Dr.) (07/17/2005)

By badwater

Peroxide for Cleaning

You can use peroxide and a clean cloth to clean and disinfect sticky items like toys or high chair trays. Peroxide is cheap and it won't harm pets or humans. (07/22/2005)

ByBy Crystal

RE: Cleaning With Hydrogen Peroxide

My (ex) MIL had a fantastic blood removing recipe using hydrogen peroxide. Dampen the affected area with cold water. Pour some hydrogen peroxide on the spot then a bit of dishwashing liquid (Dawn works very well). Scrub it very well, rinse and repeat if necessary. This takes out even old dried in blood stains! (08/05/2005)

By ButteryHOLsomeness