Home Remedy For Sinus Headaches

Whenever I get a bad sinus headache, I take a piece or two of clear medical tape and stick them onto my forehead. The tape needs to be held on both ends so that it is a little taut. I don't know why this works, but it has helped me innumerable times, since I'm prone to sinus headaches. Even a band-aid will help, but not as well. This may help with other types of headaches too.

Source: I found this out by accident. One morning when I had a bad headache, my daughter (who was 4 at the time) wanted to put a band-aid on my forehead to help my "owie". I let her put one on, and was amazed at how much it helped.

By Kitkatk100 from Wichita, KS

I used to have sinus headaches often. My Dr. said if I would keep my sinuses rinsed out with mild salt and soda water it would help. I got a McNeil sinus rinse kit (found at drug stores) and it keeps my sinus cleared out and I don't have headaches any more. I mix about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp soda in about 1 1/2 C warm water and put it in the rinse container.

Did you know that if you are going on a boat cruise and you suffer with sea sickness, all you do is put some elastoplast behind each ear. Somehow this works - I know because it worked for me.

Before the headache gets bad, try to unblock your nose by massaging the eyebrow bone about a fingers width away from your nose. You'll feel when it's the right place- it hurts! Rub in circles. Start gently and work up to firm. Not sure if this would help once the ache gets going but it helps to ward it off. I have been told this is a pressure point. Good luck.

Marg from England.

Imagine your nose, with warm salt water flowing through, this is the 'river' you create each time you wash your nose.

Your sinuses are stagnant ponds with small outlets allowing them to drain into the nose. When the saline solution flows past these outlets it creates a low-pressure stream that draws out the contents of the sinus cavities; just like a swiftly moving river would drain a small pond.

It is just common sense to practice this nasal cleansing as a part of daily nasal hygiene. You get rid of allergens, pollution, dust & stagnant mucus.

My allergist calls me a "success story" and congratulates me on achieving "normal" sinus health by practicing daily nose washing. She told me most patients of hers who have had sinus surgery like I did end up worse off. I never thought I would be normal. After my 3rd sinus operation - back in 1995. I got so depressed because all I could see ahead was more sickness, more surgery and no normal sinus health. But daily nosewashing helped me improve and normalize my sinus health. I can not say enough good things about it. I have also avoided colds by doing this. I swear! I used to work as a teacher and those germ bag kids were always sick.

I have not had a cold since 1999. I had one cold in 1998 & one in 1999. I did not retire from teaching until 2003. I began daily nose washing in 1995 so since 1995 I have had 2 colds and none since 1999.

Nose washing is one of the safest, easiest, cheapest & most beneficial things you can do for yourself. I don't want others to suffer as I did, that is why I encourage everyone I know to protect their sinus & respiratory health by washing the nose!

May 29, 2013 Flag

I'm not a big fan of reading directions and am nervous when trying something new. What is the easiest way to rinse your sinuses? This is for the purpose of removing pollen and when my nose is clogged.

By Karen

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Let it cool and put it into a nasal sprayer. I use it every time I mow grass and every night before bed.

I got the sprayer by buying a bottle saline solution from the health food store. I remake this solution every week as it has no preservatives.

I use Hydrasense saline rinse in the large nossle bottle. Rotate nossle until its aimed up your nostril and into your sinus. Tilt head over sink and and spray rinse in until it runs out of your nostril. Repeat with other nostril. Wait a minute or so than blow your nose. If necessary, repeat. I find that it is best to do this frequently, at least a couple of times a day if congested. The brand I use has a formula with eucalyptus which I find very beneficial for clearing clogged sinus.

I use a neti pot - sort of a small pitcher with a nozzle and a top to put my saline solution in. You can get one in a health food store. Mine was free from an online offer and is made of plastic - maybe the offer is still good.

Girl with sinus pain.
Home Remedies for Sinus Problems
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 1, 2010
Finding an Honest Mechanic, Mechanic Holding up Car Part in Front of Car
Finding an Honest Mechanic
Woman with a Headache
Remedies for Headaches
Smelly Hands
Remedy for Smelly Hands
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve