Dye Old Jeans To Look New

We have 5 daughters. As a result, a lot of clothes get passed down as hand me downs. The younger ones complain about the jeans already being faded out. If they are still decent jeans, I don't want to buy more. So, what I do is Rit dye them back. One box of dye will do several pairs of jeans or jean cut offs.

By April from NW Missouri

Good tip -- but I always thought faded jeans were desirable. Why else do people buy stonewashed ??

I used to do the same thing years ago. The darker the color, the thinner I look!

GOOD FOR YOU and your thrifty-ness. I too use rit dye to change the color of our bath towels, kitchen towels and even our bed sheets AS they are all so expensive. This way it seems like they are new (but they are not). I have the same linens and towels that we have had since 1995 I have only changed the colors on them all as my tastes in decorating has changed. NOW that isn't bad on our families budget at all. Try it you too will be amazed as I was.

Great idea, especially this season since dark and colcoed jeans will be in.

What a great tip, thanks

I Have a question, do you put that dye in your washer? And does it come out of your washer? I would love to dye all my faded BLACK jeans to keep them dark black- but I'm afraid of ruining my washing machine. How do you dye them?

Cleaning the washer instructions are on the package. Just fill it again with hot soapy water, using bleach and swish the wash cycle. Nothing hard about cleaning it.

Make sure you put in the suggestion salt in the rinse cycle. Helps set the dye.

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingApril 21, 2008
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink