Can I Freeze Kale?

I bought a bag of kale yesterday and used part of the bag in soup today. Can I freeze the other part of the bag? I am actually disappointed with the soup. It needs something else and I can't figure out what it is but not more kale.

Sandy from Baltimore

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,754 02/22/2008

Blanch it for a few minutes. It can be frozen like spinach or any other vegetable.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 02/23/2008

Refrigerate the kale and blanch it tomorrow night.

Add some sliced almonds and a little chili pepper or chili powder to give it a little "punch." Mix with a small amount of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and you've got a wonderful side dish.

You might want to try sprinkling some cayenne pepper and chili pepper in your soup -- maybe it just needs a little spice? Keep practicing, kale is so good for you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Coreen Hart 78 376 02/23/2008

Did you put sausage in your soup? For me, kale just doesn't work without a ring-type sausage such as Polish. The flavors blend beautifully.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By sandy 77 431 02/23/2008

SANDY HERE. well i added a can of beef gravy to the soup. that helped alot. tastes very good now. i had to do with what i had. yes i really like kale with sausage but didnt have any. THANK YOU ALL yes i have now frozen the kale

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By M. Rose Dawson (Guest Post) 02/27/2008

I freeze it all the time, but cooked first. I bought all last Summer from our local Farmers' Market and froze tons of veggies, either blanched or fully cooked. As I prefer not to freeze in plastic, I used freezer canning jars.

If you are vegetarian, I can't help with a good Kale soup, but otherwise I can - Let me know. mrosedawson AT gmail.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Can I Freeze Kale?.

Question: Freezing Kale

Can you freeze kale and how?

By a kats

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By karin [5] 08/18/2011

Yes. First, clean the leaves and trim away the thick middle vein. Chop the leaf into pieces. Blanch for two minutes in a pot of boiling water, then chill in cold water and drain in a colander. Use a plastic ziploc bag for storage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Freezing Cooked Kale

How do I freeze cooked kale? in bags or what? with water or broth or dry?

By Grama Judy

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No