Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?

What's are the chances of a human catching worms from a dog?

Amanda from Louisa, Kentucky

Best Answer

It depends on the worm. Hookworms and roundworms are the biggest risk, with roundworms being the scariest. If a roundworm egg is digested by a human (fecal to oral contact), it doesn't necessarily stay within the digestive tract like it would do in a dog. They can actually travel through the body and cause damage, most notably to an eye. Kids have been blinded due to roundworm ingestion.

It seems unlikely that fecal to oral contact will occur between kids and dogs, but does your dog lick his butt? Does he lick your kids faces? The good news is that roundworms are most common in puppies and less likely to occur in adults. Also, unlike some intestinal worms (whipworms and hookworms, for example), roundworms are clearly visible in your dogs poop. They look like spaghetti noodles. They are also very easy to treat.

Roundworms and hookworms are the reason why it is very important to have your pets checked for internal parasites every year. Just bring in a fresh poopy when you take your pet in for vaccines. Your vet will know what to do with it!

Chances are low, they must be ingested alive. I personally worry about my baby, but my vetrinarian told me there is no need.

If a dog has hookworms, the eggs will be expelled in the feces. A human is able to "pick them up" this way but they will not be in the traditional sense of living in the intestinal tract. If a human gets them this way, it is characterized by itchy, red blilster-type marks (usually on the soles of the feet). This is because the larvae is trying to migrate its way through the body to the intestinal tract---more annoying than anything else as the larvae wind up dying in their quest

I think its kinda scary if you really think about it!(

Food grade diatomaceous earth is organic and can be consumed by people and pets daily to eliminate all intestinal worms and parasites. I take it daily, as do my employees, my children, grandchildren, and I feed it to my 100 animal guardians 365 days/year.

Worm eggs blow in the wind, so you don't have to have pets to have worms. They say vegetarians have more worms than non vegetarians, simply because of all the worms that grow in the gardens where the veggies are grown.

You can find food grade diatomaceous earth here:

and retailers here:

It's also great for thick shiny hair and strong nails! =)

For this previous statement, with the woman stating her vet said there is no need to worry about her baby getting it. The dog can lick it's own butt then the baby's face. The worms don't stay in the digestive track like they do with dogs. It can cause blindness and liver damage.

I have found these laying on our bed when the puppy gets up and they were even on our pillow. They look like sesame seeds. Are my daughter and I going to get sick?

On "Facts" 75% of humans have worms. No symptoms but with that % what the hey! Diatomacious earth and I passed what looked like a 5 or 6 inch rope with many long worms superglued side by side. Don't know what they were but I didn't need them so thought I would send them to worm heaven.

A dog and its owner.
Can Humans Catch Worms From Dogs?
Pets HealthMay 7, 2007
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
Kitten With Worms
Treating a Kitten With Worms