Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I'm looking for an easy homemade salsa recipe. I used to make one years ago and lost the recipe. Thought I could make it again, but the salsa was too bland. I prefer to use canned tomatoes. If you have a great, easy recipe, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

By Maggie from VA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By crystal chamberlain [1]02/21/2010

My daughter gave me this recipe. It is good!

two lg cans chopped tomatoes, 1-1/2 onions,chopped fine,1 cup green pepper, chopped fine, 3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine,1/8 cup sugar, 1 6oz. can tomato paste, salt to taste and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Mix all together and chill for several hours before serving.

By Maya Lee [9]02/16/2010

A friend who is Mexican gave me this recipe and it is delicious. 1 1/2 cans (approx. oz) whole tomatoes; 1 7oz can of Jalapeno peppers; 2 oz green chilies; dash (2 shakes) of cumin; 1 clove garlic; garlic salt; oregano; pepper; 1 onion chopped; cilantro, optional. Blend all together in a blender. I like to use fresh cilantro in this recipe.

By kathleen williams [23]02/15/2010

Simple Salsa Recipe
Ingredients
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (Muir Glen makes an excellent product.)
1 7-oz can green chiles, chopped (or one large 6 inch or two smaller anaheim chiles, roasted under a broiler or directly on a gas stove burner so that the outer skin has completely blackened. Put into a brown paper bag for a few minutes after roasting to loosen the blackened skin. Remove and discard the blackened skin. Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Chop.)
1 clove of garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 green onions (scallions), chopped, including the green parts (about 1/3 cup)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (can supplement with fresh)
1/4 cup of very loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Method

1 Remove just the tomatoes from the can of whole tomatoes, place in a medium sized non-reactive mixing bowl. Using your fingers, or a fork and a sharp small knife, shred or break up the tomatoes.

2 Mix in chopped green chiles, green onions, garlic (or garlic salt), olive oil and vinegar. Add back in about 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce from the can of whole tomatoes. Sprinkle on about 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano. Mix in and taste. Adjust if needed. Add cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate when not using. Will keep several days. Makes 2-3 cups. Good luck.

By Julie02/15/2010

I use dices tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and Serrano peppers, and salt. I toss the peppers, cilantro, and onions into the food processor or blender, then I add the tomatoes and salt. Pulse a few times and there you have it. You can play with the seasonings, but I find that the key is lots of good cilantro and salt to taste. If it's too hot with the peppers, add vinegar, it cools it down, too salty add a little sugar. Sorry there are no exact measurements. I usually cook to taste, and I got this from my Puerto Rican mother in law who taught me lots of great cooking with no recipes. Good Luck. Hope you like it. It's always a hit in our house!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato salsa, using canned chopped tomatoes if possible? Fresh tomatoes would be okay too.

Thanks,
Barbara from Bellingham, WA

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

• 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 3 T finely chopped onions
  • 1-2 T minced garlic (from the jar)
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 2 T lime juice
  • 1/2-1 tsp Frank's Hot Sauce
  • 1 T rice vinegar

The following seasonings add to taste: lemon pepper, adobo seasoning, and cilantro; I use about 1 T or a little more of this. Put all into the food processor. Very healthy. (04/11/2007)

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Fresh Tomato Salsa

• 4 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 2 to 4 green onions with tops, diced
  • 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 cup snipped cilantro leaves
  • juice of one lemon or lime
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Dice tomatoes and onions in large mixing bowl to save juices. Wash jalapenos, remove stems and seeds and dry with paper towels. Dice jalapenos and add tomatoes. Combine all other ingredients and chill about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and taste. If tomatoes are too tart, add a little sugar to cut the tartness. Chill about 30 minutes more to blend flavors and serve. (04/11/2007)

By penpal

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

• 2 cans chopped tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 medium white onion, chopped
  • 1 or more jalapenos to taste, chopped
  • heaping T. chopped garlic
  • 1 cup (prior to chopping), chopped cilantro, use food processor
  • coarse ground black pepper to taste, the same with sea salt
  • lime juice to taste

Great recipe, my friends love it. Enjoy. (04/13/2007)

By Eileen

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

This is my mom's recipe. I make it all the time.

Mom's Homemade Salsa

• 2 cans Delmonte diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
  • 8 green onions (only the whites), chopped
  • 4 whole jalapenos, cooked and chopped
  • garlic salt, to taste
  • onion salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste

Chop cilantro and green onions, set aside. Boil jalapenos for 7 minutes then immediately put into ice water. Dry off jalapenos and chop in chopper. Add tomatoes to blender and puree. Pour tomatoes into a big bowl and add cilantro, green onions, jalapeno, and spices. Mix well.

For mild salsa, add only 2 jalapenos. (04/13/2007)

By Tina

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I got this recipe from a local PBS station.

Camp Howdy Salsa (Compliments of Cheryl and Bert Haralson)

• 1/2 rounded tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 28-oz. can Hunt's whole tomatoes
  • 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 3 rounded Tbsp. chili seasoning
  • juice of lime
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Place garlic and water in blender. Pulse until garlic is finely chopped. Add next 5 ingredients and pulse (very important to pulse and not have blender on continuously.) Continue to pulse until well chopped. Add chopped cilantro. Mix well. Pour in container, refrigerate until cool. Serve with favorite chips. (04/13/2007)

By Linda

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Hi Barbara, I love that part of the northwest. I lived in WA for about 20 years, in and around Mt Vernon, Burlington, Sedro-Wooley and Concrete. Wish I had stayed there. This recipe came from a friend in Mt Vernon.

Tomato Salsa

• 8-10 ripe tomatoes, peeled (I used 2 quarts canned)
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 3 red or green bell peppers
  • 3 medium hot chilies
  • 2 cans diced green Ortega chili peppers
  • 1-4 oz can (or 5 fresh) jalapenos, (I don't like hot, so I omitted the hot chilies and the jalapenos and used another can of Ortegas.)
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1-6oz can tomato paste
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp sugar ( I used 4 packets of artificial sweetener)
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 2 tbsps chopped cilantro

Chop tomatoes, onion, and pepper. Chop hot pepper with cloves of garlic. Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Process as you would when canning tomatoes. Makes 5 pints. Hope you like it.

Ellen (04/13/2007)

By msettamae2

RE: Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I cheat; I purchase from Tastefully Simple you can find them on line. You just add 1/4 cup to one can of tomatoes. You can make it as strong or as weak as you want it. (04/17/2007)