Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I'm looking for an easy homemade salsa recipe. I used to make one years ago and lost the recipe. Thought I could make it again, but the salsa was too bland. I prefer to use canned tomatoes. If you have a great, easy recipe, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

By Maggie from VA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

I use diced tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and Serrano peppers, and salt. I toss the peppers, cilantro, and onions into the food processor or blender, then I add the tomatoes and salt. Pulse a few times and there you have it. You can play with the seasonings, but I find that the key is lots of good cilantro and salt to taste. If it's too hot with the peppers, add vinegar, it cools it down, too salty add a little sugar. Sorry there are no exact measurements. I usually cook to taste, and I got this from my Puerto Rican mother in law who taught me lots of great cooking with no recipes. Good Luck. Hope you like it. It's always a hit in our house!

Best Answer

Simple Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (Muir Glen makes an excellent product.)

1 7-oz can green chiles, chopped (or one large 6 inch or two smaller anaheim chiles, roasted under a broiler or directly on a gas stove burner so that the outer skin has completely blackened. Put into a brown paper bag for a few minutes after roasting to loosen the blackened skin. Remove and discard the blackened skin. Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Chop.)

1 clove of garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

2 green onions (scallions), chopped, including the green parts (about 1/3 cup)

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (can supplement with fresh)

1/4 cup of very loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Method

1 Remove just the tomatoes from the can of whole tomatoes, place in a medium sized non-reactive mixing bowl. Using your fingers, or a fork and a sharp small knife, shred or break up the tomatoes.

2 Mix in chopped green chiles, green onions, garlic (or garlic salt), olive oil and vinegar. Add back in about 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce from the can of whole tomatoes. Sprinkle on about 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano. Mix in and taste. Adjust if needed. Add cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate when not using. Will keep several days. Makes 2-3 cups. Good luck.

A friend who is Mexican gave me this recipe and it is delicious. 1 1/2 cans (approx. oz) whole tomatoes; 1 7oz can of Jalapeno peppers; 2 oz green chilies; dash (2 shakes) of cumin; 1 clove garlic; garlic salt; oregano; pepper; 1 onion chopped; cilantro, optional. Blend all together in a blender. I like to use fresh cilantro in this recipe.

My daughter gave me this recipe. It is good!

two lg cans chopped tomatoes, 1-1/2 onions,chopped fine,1 cup green pepper, chopped fine, 3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine,1/8 cup sugar, 1 6oz. can tomato paste, salt to taste and 1/2 cup of vinegar. Mix all together and chill for several hours before serving.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Blended tomato salsa in a glass bowl with chips against a white background
Making Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes
Food and Recipes Recipes International Mexican SaucesFebruary 14, 2010
Bowl of salsa surrounded by tomatoes.
Mild Salsa Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A jar of homemade salsa.
Freezing Salsa
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 9:52:28 AM on 10.0.1.163 in 720 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.