Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Drink Rings from Wood Furniture

When cups are set on wood furniture without a coaster and a ring can be left behind creating an unsightly blemish on the surface of the wood. This is a guide about removing drink rings from wood furniture.

October 20, 2011 Flag

If you have darker brown furniture and a white ring, a dab of mayonnaise on a soft cloth might fix it for you. Just rub it in and buff with a soft dry cloth. It may take a couple of times to get it done. It worked on my very old sewing machine cabinet.

P.S. Mayo works to clean green house plant leaves also. I use a soft paper towel (NOT for African Violets though).

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2010 Flag

Removing white ring water marks on polished wood. The stain is caused by trapped water underneath the surface which needs to be dried out. Cover with a plain dish-towel and then point a hairdryer over the towel 15 cm from the stain for ten to fifteen minutes, rubbing every so often with a soft cloth.

Another tip is to soak a cloth or slice of bread with a 50:50 mixture of turpentine and linseed oil, put it over the stain and leave overnight.

Source: From the Guardian newspaper.

By Lucy L. from England, UK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used the above hairdryer tip and then added a little teak oil on a soft cloth. Lo and behold, two very nasty, heavy marks came out like magic!

The obvious thing to say, of course, is that I could easily have prevented the marks with just a little forethought. A hot milk jug and a coffee percolator aren't likely to improve a veneered surface any time soon! Fontes

September 28, 2011 Flag

Someone visiting sat a BK paper coffee cup on my brand new, unpaid for, wooden entertainment center. It left a round circle. I sprayed Pledge and cleaned, but it is still there. Can someone please help me remove this stain?

By Sandy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I've heard that white toothpaste is good to get rings out, the white paste, not gel. I'm sure there are other remedies - www.ehow.com probably has some ideas. Good luck!

Best Answer

I read somewhere that cigarette ashes mixed with mayonnaise and rubbed on the stain removes this type of mark.

Best Answer

This has happened to me more that a few times! I glob on mayonnaise (a lot because it will dry out when left too long), cover with a plastic grocery bag (keeps the cats out) and let sit overnight. Sometimes I have had to do this procedure twice! Wipe off & buff out. Let it sit for a week.

If you still see some lightened grain, use mayo mixed with ashes (I don't smoke so I used clean ashes from the burn pile). This darkens it. I had to do this to a whole poker table top once (long story) and you can't even tell there was water damage! This procedure was used on fresh stains only; I haven't used it on old stains.

You know there is nothing wrong with asking people not to place drinks on your furniture. If they were not taught this as a child it is time they learned. I certainly would mention it to the person if you know who they are.You probably can't ever get the stain out unless you have the piece refinished.

If you can find someone in your area or on the internet that does wood then ask what they use. I use liquid ivory soap one tsp to qt water. Dip the cloth in it squeeze out most of the liquid and wipe then wipe with damp soft rag. the be sure to dry it. Before you do this know that it might be the finish only that is stained and not the wood unless the wood has no finish on it.

I make wood furniture but I apply Tung oil to the finish and never have water problems. You might also go back to where you bought it and ask them. site unseen it is real hard to give advice on.

i just want to reiterate: I just tried the mayo and baking soda cure.... MAGIC!!!!!! I am excited too because it was literally the only nice piece of furniture we have!

so thanks, sweezykay!!!!

In These Guides
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Water Mark on Wood
Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture
kitchen range and cabinets
Removing White Steam Marks on Wood Cabinets
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureOctober 17, 2011
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 10:03:19 AM on 10.0.2.234 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.