Removing Heat Marks from Furniture

Category Furniture
You have just enjoyed a steaming cup of hot coffee. When you move the cup, to your dismay there is a heat mark on the table. This is a guide about removing heat marks from furniture.

This is a guide about removing drink rings from wood furniture. When cups are set on wood furniture without a coaster and a ring can be left behind creating an unsightly blemish on the surface of the wood.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I have a wooden kitchen table that has a lacquer finish on it. How do I get white heat spots off? Also I have a solid wood bedroom suite. How do I fix the worn off parts of the stain?

By Smcallum

Answers

Best Answer

Try white toothpaste on the white stains. I thought
I had ruined our dark wood dining table & someone
suggested that. Cleaned it up beautifully.

Best Answer

Go to Restoration Hardware, they have this little cloth that takes those out. It comes in a little white jar and I think it is called magic something.

Best Answer

You can rub vaseline over the white spot. Allow it to sit for 24 to 48 hours and it will remove the stain plus polish your wood!!

I used steam on a wood table to take out water marks. It worked wonderful but now I have stains from the steam. I've tried mayonnaise, toothpaste, baking soda, Old English, and wax. Any answers?

By Kathryn from WI

Answers

Best Answer

Steam iron marks on teak dining table were removed by laying a white t-shirt doubled over on the marks and then using the steam iron over the area using the steam function! I know it doesn't make sense but it worked. I don't know how or why!

How do I remove white heat stains from polished wood?

Answers

Best Answer

I had the same problem and someone told me to use a warm iron over a linen tea towel and iron in a circular motion checking often to see if the stains were still there. I was leery but it worked!! Good Luck!

I tried the iron and steam treatment to remove white marks on my table and I don't know what happen it failed, and only left more bigger white marks. Help! Has anyone any ideas?

By Lynne

Answers

Best Answer

Don't know if you found an answer but I have had perfect results with this: I spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on spot and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I make a paste of baking soda and water and rub it on the spot with a warm damp washcloth. You can even use your fingers but I think the cloth works best. After you do this clean the table top with a warm damp cloth and then dry with a dry soft towel. Once you have done this, put a small amount of olive oil on a dry cloth and rub it in and buff it dry. This process never has failed to work and I haven't had the stress associated with the iron method. This process takes only about 30 minutes including the wait time for the mayonnaise. I have used this on 2 very expensive wood tables after a recent family holiday get-together.

I have a white stain on my wood table from steam. How do I remove it?

By Retta from Knoxville, TN

Answers

Best Answer

This just happened to me! I took a towel (a dish towel) set my iron to steam (make sure you have plenty of water in it), and hover over the mark for several minutes. I would lift the towel and check it while you are doing it. The wax paper idea didn't work for me. Then you need to get some lemon oil because your wood will be dried out. Good luck! Start to finish--10 min.

Best Answer

Combine vinegar and olive oil in equal parts to remove white spots left from moisture on wood. Apply with a clean soft cloth and work the vinegar/olive oil mixture into the wood in the direction of the grain to erase the white water spots. Good luck!

How do you remove white ring marks from furniture left by placing a hot cup on the surface?

By Lindsay from Caldicot, Monmouthshire

Answers

Best Answer

I have had good luck masking dings on wood by rubbing a walnut on the surface and then buffing a bit. I tried this once on a water mark (with the white ring) and it worked pretty well. Of course, if you are talking about an antique or something else of potentially high value, I really cannot say that this would be a good answer... There may be a more suitable solution? Best of luck! :)

How do you treat heat marks on stained wooden table?

By Max

Answers

Best Answer

This is what I did once; think I read it somewhere. I sanded very lightly with fine grade sandpaper then used Old English Scratch Cover. Worked. I think I tried mayonnaise first and it didn't work.

A hot towel left this white discoloration on the top of my dining room table. I tried tooth paste with no results. Someone also set a hot dish on the table and now there is the same kind of mark. Any suggestions on how to bring back the normal color?

Answers

Anonymous

A hairdryer should remove the marks...Don't hold it too close to the table...because it could damage the finish, even more!

Anonymous

Try a hairdryer...

Try a hairdryer...directed on the spots, but don't get it too close to the table surface...or it could burn the wood...I have had success, using this method...

I sat a hot pan down for a few seconds. I tried the iron idea and baking soda and tooth paste. What else can I do other than sanding it?

Answers

Someone suggested mayonnaise, Sheryl, ages ago, this site. Basically, apply a liberal amount to the area, leave it alone for a few hours then wipe clean. I tried it and it worked fairly well. The mark wasn't completely gone, but it was certainly much less noticeable.

I have just tried these methods did not work but tried t-cut and it worked and the high polish after was amazing.

I have a very beautifully painted black chest of drawers. It has white marks on it from a steam iron. The paint is matte. How can I remove the white mark?

By Marie from South Africa

How do I get white heat rings out of furniture?

By Wendyann from Albion Park, NSW Australia

Answers:

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I have found the best way to get rid of the white rings from heat or moisture on furniture. I have tried, with no luck, using mayonnaise, cigarette ashes, toothpaste, hot iron and towels. What I have found that works is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Dampen the eraser rub gently with the grain of the wood and then polishing as usual.

I happen to like Armor All as a furniture polish, if it's not a bad white mark the Magic Eraser will removed it completely, if it solid white you may have to do it several times. It may leave a bit of a ghost, but that's still better than having a big white mark.

This was not a bad one, you can see on the right it's gone. Now that I know how to fix them nobody's making them. (06/09/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do I repair a white ring left from a hot cup being set on wood furniture?

By Sondra from NC

How do I safely remove white heat marks from a coffee table?

By Helen from Scotland

Answers:

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

We have a dark stained wood table with a beautiful painted edging. I used a white bath towel and iron between medium and high. Didn't work until I switched to steam. Then it worked amazingly well. We had come to the conclusion we'd have to get a tablecloth to hide the hideous stain. Now it looks great! (06/21/2010)

By Jenns4x4pu

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

Try a small amount of mayonnaise with a soft cloth, rub with grain. It worked on my sewing
machine cabinet. Hope it works for you.
(06/21/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

How can I get a heat spot out of furniture?

By Minnow from MN

How do you remove white heat marks from furniture?

Nick from Jersey

Answers:

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I mixed mayonnaise and cigarette ash, and left it on about an hour. When I wiped it away the white heat ring was gone too. (03/12/2008)

By I need help

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

Rub with cigarette ash. (03/13/2008)

By Kings Kid

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

It sounds crazy, but if you use a medium hot iron on a clean white linen tea towel in circular motions this will take out the white heat marks. I was hesitant to try it on my oak table, but figured it looked bad with the marks, so what do I have to lose. It took the marks out beautifully and now my table looks like new. (03/14/2008)

By grammakim

Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I've used the mayo trick and the ash trick above both with great results. Leave mayo on overnight. (03/24/2008)

By artisticattorney