Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet

Pet owners may find themselves needing to remove dog urine odors from their carpet. This is a guide about cleaning dog urine odors from carpet.

August 15, 2011 Flag

Dog laying on beige carpet next to a vacuum

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

With the proper method you can get your carpets looking and smelling just like new. This is a guide about cleaning urine odors from carpet. Urine odors in carpets can be difficult to remove.

January 18, 2017 Flag

Can anyone recommend the most effective way to deal with dog urine in carpeting? Certainly to begin the cleaning process asap is best, but not always possible - particularly if you are a landlord. I have tried numerous methods involving blotting, soaking, scrubbing, drying, brushing, etc. and all kinds of special carpet shampoos, enzyme neutralizers, absorbent sprinkles, room deodorizers, buckets of cold water, spray bottles of warm water, rug scrubbers both large and small with various attachments. Despite my best efforts, I cannot conquer the stains and the smell. They never go away - the dogs smell their "favorite spot" and the cycle begins again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and consideration.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found Nature's Miracle to be great at removing stains and odor. You must apply it very thoroughly on the affected area. Urine crystals can take up to two weeks to break down. If there is still an odor after two weeks, it means you missed some areas and must reapply.

For a Homemade Solution:

Dog Urine Odor Remover

2 cups white distilled vinegar

2 cups lukewarm water

4 generous Tablespoons baking soda

Spray bottle (optional)

Directions #1

Thoroughly blot up as much of whatever it is youre cleaning up. Fold up a rag over it, place a heavy book on it and stand on the book to make sure you really get it all out (sounds extreme, but it does a good job!) Mix 2 cups of white distilled vinegar with 2 cups of lukewarm water in a large bowl. Add in 4 heaping Tablespoons of baking soda, adding it in smaller amounts if it threatens to fizz over (and it really does fizz!) Pour into a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the area. Let sit for 5 minutes, then gently rub and blot up with a soft cloth. You can also simply pour some straight from the bowl over the stain if you dont have a spray bottle.

Directions #2

As with the Direction #1, blot or clean up as much as possible. Mix 2 cups of lukewarm water with 2 cups of white distilled vinegar. Instead of adding the baking soda to the liquid, sprinkle it dry liberally over the area where the accident occurred. Let it break down and deodorize for about 5 minutes, then vacuum. Apply the water/vinegar solution as in the first set of directions.

Note: This will also remove blood stains.

December 17, 2008 Flag

Is there a product I can use in my carpet cleaner to remove urine odor?

Lisa from Long Island, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use a few different treatments which work well. Sprinkling stain with dry washing powder with enzymes works well to remove the scent to help prevent attracting animals to re-offend. Also some spray fabric deodorizers such as Fabreeze can help too. Bi-carb of soda is a cheap & effective treatment to absorb urine odours. Sometimes it takes a few treatments to completely remove odour & do test on a hidden patch of carpet first to check carpet colour fastness.

Best Answer

I have tried alot of the neutralizers from pet stores without getting good results. What I have found that works very well & cheaply is to use Tide or Gain liquid detergent mixed with water, at least a 50/50 or stronger mix, pour over stain area, scrub in , cover with towels and let dry. You may want to test a spot to make sure it doesn't discolor your carpet. I have burgundy frieze carpet & it didn't change colors. I'd much rather smell Tide or Gain than urine!

February 2, 2011 Flag

How do I get dog urine smell out of my carpet?

By Cheryl

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My favorite thing to use is a thick paste of baking soda and water. Apply on the stinky areas and using a slightly damp sponge really rub it into the carpet and then let dry completely. Then simply vacuum up. I also sprinkle baking soda directly on my carpets as part of general cleaning regimen and vacuum to keep carpets smelling fresh and clean (especially due to the pet dander smell that can seep in, pet accidents or not).

Best Answer

I found out the hard way. Never ever use a mixture of vinegar to clean carpeting of dog urine. The vinegar reacts with the urine and produces more ammonia than there was originally. I thought I'd pass out from the stink. I had to go to a pet store to get their advice and they informed me it's a very BIG mistake to put vinegar (white mixed with water) on dog urine for the very same reason I mentioned above. I bought an enzyme at $30 a gallon. Used it as instructed on the container and got rid of the stink. Unfortunately it took the entire gallon, and alot of work, for a small area but it was worth it in the end.

May 1, 2016 Flag

My carpet seems to be saturated in dog urine from 2 small Dachshunds. We didn't know it was done until it dried and was too late. I have a steam cleaner and have tried everything. Help me!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same problem and hiring a carpet cleaning service didn't help. A friend told me what to do and I thought she was nuts but it worked. Get a bottle of Windex and saturate the stain or spot then take a rag and scrub back and forth in all directions then place rag down and step on it to remove most of the moisture. STAIN/SPOT GONE!! Hope this helps!

October 1, 2014 Flag

I recently moved into a new place. The previous tenants didn't clean up after their dogs. I have a 9 month old and am pregnant. So I don't have very much I can spend and I'm limited on what I can use to clean with due to this being a high risk pregnancy. This smells really bad of ammonia and pee. I've tried pet carpet shampoos and other things. I've cleaned the carpet so many times I lost count. How do I get of this smell?

By Ashley V.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and leave it for at least a day before vacuuming. Before you clean the carpet, spray regular hydrogen peroxide (after checking color fastness)on the carpet and then use your carpet machine as usual. This almost always works for me. Also you can try Fizzion tablets made for carpet cleaners.

Our regular baking soda and the vinegar is the best solution to remove the stain and odor from the carpet.

December 4, 2015 Flag

How do you get dog urine out of carpet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I add white vinegar to the wash/rinse water in my shampooer. This removes the odor very well and doesn't harm the carpet. You will notice a vinegar odor, but it dissipates once carpet dries. Just make sure you lift the urine from carpet as much as possible before using the wash/rinse settings on carpet shampooer. My shampooer uses the separate containers for a mixture of cleaner and it merges below the water reservoir container; not in it. Then the vinegar is used twice in the wash and again in the rinse. I don't know how large your shampooer's water reservoir is, but on mine, I add two cups vinegar to full container.

November 17, 2013 Flag

I had an older dog with a weak bladder and a Shepherd puppy that after 4 months I had to return to the shelter because she would not pee outside. I've tried the vinegar and water mixture. I even let it set for an hour before suctioning it up with carpet cleaner machine. I have tried baking soda, carpet fresheners, Febreze, Lysol, plain hot water, plain cold water, and carpet shampooing products for pet urine. My house still smells like dog urine. Please help! I won't even allow company over I'm on a very tight budget and completely desperate to get rid of the smell.

By ST from Luther, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In desperation I tried pouring rubbing alcohol directly onto a spot where my old dog had just gone pee. First I used paper towels to get as much of the liquid up as possible and then poured the alcohol directly on the spot and left it dry out. It worked for me. Next time I shampoo the entire carpet I am going to finish with a final rinse of rubbing alcohol mixed in the water as I now know it won't hurt my carpet and it may help kill bacteria that causes odors where I am not aware other bio-messes have been made (spilled milk/food etc).

After rescuing a very sick dog and her litter of puppies, we had some odor problems. This is what I used:

1. Hoover carpet cleaning machine (buy it. you need it for long enough it isn't worth renting one.)

2. Hot water.

3. Time.

4. Enzyme cleaner (optional)

Fill the machine with hot water. Wet a three by three foot or so area. Let sit for 15 minutes. Run the machine over it over and over again flushing large amounts of water through until it appears the area is clean (water that is sucked up isn't foaming or yellow, no fresh odors float out.) Repeat in the next 3 x 3 area. Return to the original area to clean up what has "wicked" up in the interim. Repeat again and again and again. It will take forever and use a lot of water. I think the first time I did it it took about 30-35 hours and well over 75 gallons of hot water for about 250 sq ft.

After you feel fairly confident it is clean, you can go over it again with a very dilute enzyme cleaner.

You probably will need to repeat, not requiring quite as much time, after it has dried and some of the deep smells have worked there way up in the drying process. I thought I was going to have to replace my carpet until I did this...so it is all about how much you can afford, because time wise, it takes a lot of effort and a new carpet might be a better value for you. I did it during a week that dh was out of town and work was slow, so I could spend the time.

January 3, 2011 Flag

I have a 4 year old dog that is constantly wetting on the floor in my bedroom. I can't stand the smell. I have used the Bissell cleaner solution for pets, but still have the same odor. Could someone please tell me the best, least expensive solution to my problem?

By TammySue from Bladenboro, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also agree with white vinegar if you don't want to spend $$. Pikka's suggestion will work well also. Though, after you clean the floor up with soap and water let it dry before applying the vinegar. It is very important for the floor not to soak in liquids as it will not fully get rid of the smell!

I don't have a remedy for the smell but a 4 yr. old dog should not be wetting like that. Our terrier had "leaky bladder syndrome" and the vet put her on Proin which is a hormone and it took care of it for about 7 yrs. and when it began again we added DES which has taken care of it completely - she is now 14 and no problem. Both are prescribed by the vet but had no side effects. I wish you good luck with the problem and the solution.

March 1, 2014 Flag

Anybody have a good home remedy for spraying areas that have been cleaned of pet urine so dogs will not start to pee in the same areas again? I've heard of vinegar solutions. Does anything else work?

By Tammy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use cider vinegar and with Dawn dish soap.I let it dry then put baking soda sweep it in the area. Wait 45 minutes then use sweeper. Please let me know if it works for you.

shena _angel@yahoo.com

September 22, 2011 Flag

How do I clean dog urine on carpet? There is no stain but an awful urine odor.

By rb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm in the process of doing that now. My older dog has begun not holding it as long as he could when he was younger.

First off, let me tell you what I do to prevent it. If I'm going to be gone more than 2-3 hours at most I put him in his cage (my dogs normally have the run of the house). He won't go in there, but if he absolutely has to at least it's not on my carpet. Also the cage is large enough so that if he does, he can go to the other end to get away from it.

Now for the cleaning. Here's the solution I'm using and it's working great so far. My shampooer has a separate place to pour the soap or whatever into. In there I pour straight dog urine solution leaving about 1/3 of the container for white vinegar. The main container on the shampooer is of course for water. I pour the hottest water that I can in, leaving enough space to pour 1 full cup of Pine Sol (not the generic either, but the Pine Sol brand, original scent).

Then I have at it. I shampoo it thoroughly twice, letting it dry completely between each. After this I take a black light and go around the room (at night, lights off) looking for any "leftovers". If I find any (haven't so far) I spray straight Pine Sol on, wait an hour, and go over it again with the same solution.

So far this has worked great for me, and I've tried many combinations before when I had puppies running around!

I have 4 dogs and 4 cats, all inside pets. So yes we do get mishaps. I have used with great success Mr. Clean either the lavender scent or the aqua blue kind. Both work great. After soaking up an liquid, then I mix some up in a bottle and spray on generously. Let sit for 5 minutes and then use a heavy towel and a heavy weight to soak up any liquid. Usually I step in it until it's all pulled up into the towel. I have a carpet shampooer, in which I mix up Mr. Clean and shampoo the spot up. It works for me.

Sometimes I even add Mr. Clean to my laundry when a cat has messed on a throw rug or something that can be laundered in my machine. No bad scent or odor remains. It is the only thing that I have found that works and is cheaper than buying other products that are made for such problems. Good Luck.

February 2, 2011 Flag

I steam cleaned my carpets yesterday to get puppy urine out of them, and when I went to check them this morning they smelled even worse! What do I do?

By Trish from Maurertown, VA

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I read on this site you can use Odoban pet smell remover. Walmart sells it. Follow the directions and you will be OK. (11/23/2010)

By Mgoldsmith54914

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I have two large German Shepherds that live in the house, let's just say sometimes they mess due to my schedule, my fault. I have an area they tend to go to and I wash it out. The area began to smell so I used Pet Odorknockout from Amazon it worked great. (01/13/2011)

By getbarber

RE: Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I have two large dogs that go to the same place. The best fix is vodka and distilled water. Shampoo the carpet, lift the carpet to allow both carpet and pad to dry. Once they are completely dry mix 2 parts vodka, and 1 part distilled water in a spray bottle and liberally spray the area. I don't know why it works, but it does. Good luck! (01/17/2011)

By cgracec

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2011 Flag

I need a good cleaner that will get rid of the dog urine smell from a sofa and my carpet.

By Jen from York, PA

Answers:

Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

This is going to sound so simple crazy and cheap that it will leave you thinking it can't possibly be true, but it works! Just be sure to test it on a discrete area of the fabric, first.

Our oldest, huge breed dog was so excited to "go for a ride" that we couldn't get him to take care of business before getting into the vehicle. It was a short trip across town for a regular vet visit, but he uncharacteristically lost control and unloaded his bladder all over the carpet in the cargo area of our SUV. I actually felt sorry for my big four legged fur boy as he so knew he'd made a mistake.

Got to goggling and binging on the internet and found an idea that was very inexpensive and couldn't possibly hurt to try: wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol! (Why they make it in a wintergreen scent, I know not, but the disinfectant qualities of rubbing alcohol made me look twice.)

A day after sopping up as much of the urine as we could with rags and paper towels, we doused the entire area with an undiluted, 16 ounce bottle of the scented rubbing alcohol, opened all the windows to let it air out for an hour or so, and by the next morning the urine odor was gone. The Jeep did smell like wintergreen breath freshener mints for a few days, but that was perfectly acceptable, considering the alternative. ;-)

Again, be sure to test this on the fabric before covering the area. You can find wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol next to the regular rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy areas of big box discount stores. Smaller pharmacy's might stock it also. I just happened to find it at Walmart. Good Luck! (11/18/2010)

By KansasCindy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 22, 2010 Flag

How do I get puppy urine smell out of carpet and the house?

By Penny from Puyallup, WA

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Skip all the homemade stuff and buy "Nature's Miracle." I have had dogs for years (I foster them) and have had to deal with odors. The homemade stuff works a little but the odor comes back. Don't waste your time. Get the Nature's Miracle. (Note: I do not work for them, I just tried it and it actually took out the odor.) (10/06/2010)

By Tigertame4

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

The very best thing I have found for any type of odor at all is "XO." It is a product that does not contain chemicals or harmful things to either humans or pets. It is used in hospitals and nursing homes, as well as by many pet owners. I could not find any locally however, so I ordered mine from www.qvc.com; it is in Don Aslett's products; he is the head of the largest janitorial service in the USA. You can sign up to get emails when his products appear, usually in problem solutions.

It's very concentrated, so a little lasts a very long time. You can get it from either there or his own site. Worth its weight in gold! (10/06/2010)

By MzScarlett

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I don't know where I heard this, but try regular rubbing alcohol; maybe it will help.

Lots of luck to you! (10/06/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

White vinegar is amazing! I've never had a pet urine odor linger after pouring some white vinegar over the spot. I do this after steam cleaning the spot. (10/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Resolve or the generic is good for the spots, but white/clear vinegar about 1/2 cup in a 1/2 gallon of hot water, pour over site and suck up immediately with your carpet shampooer completely. Then in a rinse, I use 1 teaspoon Febreeze in 1/2 gallon hot water, in the shampooer. Go over spot until all rinse is done, then suck it up. You can't tell you have had a pet in the place. Make sure any time you shampoo carpets that you use floor fans until area is dry to avoid that stale smell that could mean mold. (10/10/2010)

By TandT Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 5, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have a suggestion for removing urine odor from my home? I had a male dog that could not stop urinating inside (gone now) and an elderly father who lives with us, that has an incontinence problem. I clean and clean, but the odor comes right back. I know the carpet has to go, but until I can afford to replace the carpet, is there any relief from the odor?

By Aunt B from Louisville

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

What are you using to clean? When one of my cats has an accident on my carpet, I use an enzymatic cleaner. I got mine at Petsmart, but I've heard that enzymatic cleaners can easily be found at other stores like Walmart and Target. It helps break down the odors/residue, so the animals don't keep coming back to the same spot.

I also had to use it on my couch once -- when one of our cats was a weak little kitten, he had a pee accident. I saturated the area with the enzymatic cleaner and used my carpet cleaner to pull up as much moisture as possible, and repeated a few times. I gave one more spritz of cleaner to the surface, and let it air dry. My cats checked out the area while it was still wet, but once it was completely dry, they acted like nothing was there!

If your stains are very old or extensive, you might might need several applications, but I believe it will help at least reduce the smell. Best of luck! (09/05/2010)

By mrs.story

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Get a product that is called XO; it's available from QVC.com; works fantastic and they use it in nursing homes! Will take care of both human and animal odors and all others as well! (09/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 30, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of old urine dog smell from broadloom carpet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 18, 2009 Flag

How do I get the smell of dog urine out of my carpet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 7, 2009 Flag

What is the best thing to remove dog urine and urine smell from my carpet?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 17, 2008 Flag

Hello to all you wonderful people out there I need your help. My dog decided to go pee pee where I couldn't see her and of course she left a yellow stain on my new beige rug and of course it also smells of urine.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 28, 2006 Flag

How do I remove dog urine smell from carpet. My 13 year old lab has had a few accidents.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
cleaning products on a floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors
Cleaning Urine Odors from Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetApril 27, 2016
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Hardwood Floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors
cat on a tile floor
Cleaning Pet Urine Stains and Odors From a Tile Floor
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 15, 2017 at 1:17:54 PM on 10.0.0.60 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.