Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet

Category Carpet
A chihuahua on a white carpet.
Pet owners may find themselves needing to remove dog urine odors from their carpet. This is a guide about cleaning dog urine odors from carpet.

With the proper method you can get your carpets looking and smelling just like new. This is a guide about cleaning urine odors from carpet. Urine odors in carpets can be difficult to remove.

Dog laying on beige carpet next to a vacuum

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Is there a product I can use in my carpet cleaner to remove urine odor?

Lisa from Long Island, NY

Best Answer

I have tried alot of the neutralizers from pet stores without getting good results. What I have found that works very well & cheaply is to use Tide or Gain liquid detergent mixed with water, at least a 50/50 or stronger mix, pour over stain area, scrub in , cover with towels and let dry. You may want to test a spot to make sure it doesn't discolor your carpet. I have burgundy frieze carpet & it didn't change colors. I'd much rather smell Tide or Gain than urine!

Best Answer

Before I put down wood floors, I used a little Woolite with a bit of Clorox 2 and some white vinegar. That usually cleaned the rug very well, didn't remove the color, and got rid of any bad smells.

After my dog got sick and had diarrhea and vomiting both at once all over the carpet, I took them all up and replaced the floors with oak. Much better! Better to replace the floor than my precious dog. Since I live in FL, I probably should have put down ceramic tile instead of wood, but wood works fine for now.

How do I get dog urine smell out of my carpet?

By Cheryl

Answer Was this helpful? 7
Best Answer

My favorite thing to use is a thick paste of baking soda and water. Apply on the stinky areas and using a slightly damp sponge really rub it into the carpet and then let dry completely. Then simply vacuum up. I also sprinkle baking soda directly on my carpets as part of general cleaning regimen and vacuum to keep carpets smelling fresh and clean (especially due to the pet dander smell that can seep in, pet accidents or not).

Best Answer

I found out the hard way. Never ever use a mixture of vinegar to clean carpeting of dog urine. The vinegar reacts with the urine and produces more ammonia than there was originally. I thought I'd pass out from the stink. I had to go to a pet store to get their advice and they informed me it's a very BIG mistake to put vinegar (white mixed with water) on dog urine for the very same reason I mentioned above. I bought an enzyme at $30 a gallon. Used it as instructed on the container and got rid of the stink. Unfortunately it took the entire gallon, and alot of work, for a small area but it was worth it in the end.

I have a 4 year old dog that is constantly wetting on the floor in my bedroom. I can't stand the smell. I have used the Bissell cleaner solution for pets, but still have the same odor. Could someone please tell me the best, least expensive solution to my problem?

By TammySue from Bladenboro, NC

I found out Kid n Pet sold at walmart for right under $5 works great for dog urine ofor and stain. Just squirt it on the spot and rub with damp cloth. I then use my little green carpet cleaner with the solution in the cleaner. Nice, clean and refreshing. Little dog can't find that spot to redo.

Can anyone recommend the most effective way to deal with dog urine in carpeting? Certainly to begin the cleaning process asap is best, but not always possible - particularly if you are a landlord. I have tried numerous methods involving blotting, soaking, scrubbing, drying, brushing, etc. and all kinds of special carpet shampoos, enzyme neutralizers, absorbent sprinkles, room deodorizers, buckets of cold water, spray bottles of warm water, rug scrubbers both large and small with various attachments. Despite my best efforts, I cannot conquer the stains and the smell. They never go away - the dogs smell their "favorite spot" and the cycle begins again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and consideration.

For a Homemade Solution:

Dog Urine Odor Remover

2 cups white distilled vinegar

2 cups lukewarm water

4 generous Tablespoons baking soda

Spray bottle (optional)

Directions #1

Thoroughly blot up as much of whatever it is youre cleaning up. Fold up a rag over it, place a heavy book on it and stand on the book to make sure you really get it all out (sounds extreme, but it does a good job!) Mix 2 cups of white distilled vinegar with 2 cups of lukewarm water in a large bowl. Add in 4 heaping Tablespoons of baking soda, adding it in smaller amounts if it threatens to fizz over (and it really does fizz!) Pour into a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the area. Let sit for 5 minutes, then gently rub and blot up with a soft cloth. You can also simply pour some straight from the bowl over the stain if you dont have a spray bottle.

Directions #2

As with the Direction #1, blot or clean up as much as possible. Mix 2 cups of lukewarm water with 2 cups of white distilled vinegar. Instead of adding the baking soda to the liquid, sprinkle it dry liberally over the area where the accident occurred. Let it break down and deodorize for about 5 minutes, then vacuum. Apply the water/vinegar solution as in the first set of directions.

Note: This will also remove blood stains.

I had an older dog with a weak bladder and a Shepherd puppy that after 4 months I had to return to the shelter because she would not pee outside. I've tried the vinegar and water mixture. I even let it set for an hour before suctioning it up with carpet cleaner machine. I have tried baking soda, carpet fresheners, Febreze, Lysol, plain hot water, plain cold water, and carpet shampooing products for pet urine. My house still smells like dog urine. Please help! I won't even allow company over I'm on a very tight budget and completely desperate to get rid of the smell.

By ST from Luther, OK

Anonymous

What always works for me is oxyclean, the poder, mix it with the hot tap water, pour it over let sit a few minutes a blot up..really works,

I recently moved into a new place. The previous tenants didn't clean up after their dogs. I have a 9 month old and am pregnant. So I don't have very much I can spend and I'm limited on what I can use to clean with due to this being a high risk pregnancy. This smells really bad of ammonia and pee. I've tried pet carpet shampoos and other things. I've cleaned the carpet so many times I lost count. How do I get of this smell?

By Ashley V.

Anonymous

White vinegar or an oxy type cleaner

How do I clean dog urine on carpet? There is no stain but an awful urine odor.

By rb

I have 4 dogs and 4 cats, all inside pets. So yes we do get mishaps. I have used with great success Mr. Clean either the lavender scent or the aqua blue kind. Both work great. After soaking up an liquid, then I mix some up in a bottle and spray on generously. Let sit for 5 minutes and then use a heavy towel and a heavy weight to soak up any liquid. Usually I step in it until it's all pulled up into the towel. I have a carpet shampooer, in which I mix up Mr. Clean and shampoo the spot up. It works for me.

Sometimes I even add Mr. Clean to my laundry when a cat has messed on a throw rug or something that can be laundered in my machine. No bad scent or odor remains. It is the only thing that I have found that works and is cheaper than buying other products that are made for such problems. Good Luck.

My carpet seems to be saturated in dog urine from 2 small Dachshunds. We didn't know it was done until it dried and was too late. I have a steam cleaner and have tried everything. Help me!

I had the same problem and hiring a carpet cleaning service didn't help. A friend told me what to do and I thought she was nuts but it worked. Get a bottle of Windex and saturate the stain or spot then take a rag and scrub back and forth in all directions then place rag down and step on it to remove most of the moisture. STAIN/SPOT GONE!! Hope this helps!

How do you get dog urine out of carpet?

I add white vinegar to the wash/rinse water in my shampooer. This removes the odor very well and doesn't harm the carpet. You will notice a vinegar odor, but it dissipates once carpet dries. Just make sure you lift the urine from carpet as much as possible before using the wash/rinse settings on carpet shampooer. My shampooer uses the separate containers for a mixture of cleaner and it merges below the water reservoir container; not in it. Then the vinegar is used twice in the wash and again in the rinse. I don't know how large your shampooer's water reservoir is, but on mine, I add two cups vinegar to full container.

Anybody have a good home remedy for spraying areas that have been cleaned of pet urine so dogs will not start to pee in the same areas again? I've heard of vinegar solutions. Does anything else work?

By Tammy

I use cider vinegar and with Dawn dish soap.I let it dry then put baking soda sweep it in the area. Wait 45 minutes then use sweeper. Please let me know if it works for you.

shena _angel@yahoo.com

I steam cleaned my carpets yesterday to get puppy urine out of them, and when I went to check them this morning they smelled even worse! What do I do?

By Trish from Maurertown, VA

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I read on this site you can use Odoban pet smell remover. Walmart sells it. Follow the directions and you will be OK. (11/23/2010)

By Mgoldsmith54914

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I have two large German Shepherds that live in the house, let's just say sometimes they mess due to my schedule, my fault. I have an area they tend to go to and I wash it out. The area began to smell so I used Pet Odorknockout from Amazon it worked great. (01/13/2011)

By getbarber

RE: Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I have two large dogs that go to the same place. The best fix is vodka and distilled water. Shampoo the carpet, lift the carpet to allow both carpet and pad to dry. Once they are completely dry mix 2 parts vodka, and 1 part distilled water in a spray bottle and liberally spray the area. I don't know why it works, but it does. Good luck! (01/17/2011)

By cgracec

I need a good cleaner that will get rid of the dog urine smell from a sofa and my carpet.

By Jen from York, PA

Answers:

Best Cleaner for Dog Urine Odor

This is going to sound so simple crazy and cheap that it will leave you thinking it can't possibly be true, but it works! Just be sure to test it on a discrete area of the fabric, first.

Our oldest, huge breed dog was so excited to "go for a ride" that we couldn't get him to take care of business before getting into the vehicle. It was a short trip across town for a regular vet visit, but he uncharacteristically lost control and unloaded his bladder all over the carpet in the cargo area of our SUV. I actually felt sorry for my big four legged fur boy as he so knew he'd made a mistake.

Got to goggling and binging on the internet and found an idea that was very inexpensive and couldn't possibly hurt to try: wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol! (Why they make it in a wintergreen scent, I know not, but the disinfectant qualities of rubbing alcohol made me look twice.)

A day after sopping up as much of the urine as we could with rags and paper towels, we doused the entire area with an undiluted, 16 ounce bottle of the scented rubbing alcohol, opened all the windows to let it air out for an hour or so, and by the next morning the urine odor was gone. The Jeep did smell like wintergreen breath freshener mints for a few days, but that was perfectly acceptable, considering the alternative. ;-)

Again, be sure to test this on the fabric before covering the area. You can find wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol next to the regular rubbing alcohol in the pharmacy areas of big box discount stores. Smaller pharmacy's might stock it also. I just happened to find it at Walmart. Good Luck! (11/18/2010)

By KansasCindy

How do I get puppy urine smell out of carpet and the house?

By Penny from Puyallup, WA

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Skip all the homemade stuff and buy "Nature's Miracle." I have had dogs for years (I foster them) and have had to deal with odors. The homemade stuff works a little but the odor comes back. Don't waste your time. Get the Nature's Miracle. (Note: I do not work for them, I just tried it and it actually took out the odor.) (10/06/2010)

By Tigertame4

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

The very best thing I have found for any type of odor at all is "XO." It is a product that does not contain chemicals or harmful things to either humans or pets. It is used in hospitals and nursing homes, as well as by many pet owners. I could not find any locally however, so I ordered mine from www.qvc.com; it is in Don Aslett's products; he is the head of the largest janitorial service in the USA. You can sign up to get emails when his products appear, usually in problem solutions.

It's very concentrated, so a little lasts a very long time. You can get it from either there or his own site. Worth its weight in gold! (10/06/2010)

By MzScarlett

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I don't know where I heard this, but try regular rubbing alcohol; maybe it will help.

Lots of luck to you! (10/06/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

White vinegar is amazing! I've never had a pet urine odor linger after pouring some white vinegar over the spot. I do this after steam cleaning the spot. (10/07/2010)

By duckie-do

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Resolve or the generic is good for the spots, but white/clear vinegar about 1/2 cup in a 1/2 gallon of hot water, pour over site and suck up immediately with your carpet shampooer completely. Then in a rinse, I use 1 teaspoon Febreeze in 1/2 gallon hot water, in the shampooer. Go over spot until all rinse is done, then suck it up. You can't tell you have had a pet in the place. Make sure any time you shampoo carpets that you use floor fans until area is dry to avoid that stale smell that could mean mold. (10/10/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Does anyone have a suggestion for removing urine odor from my home? I had a male dog that could not stop urinating inside (gone now) and an elderly father who lives with us, that has an incontinence problem. I clean and clean, but the odor comes right back. I know the carpet has to go, but until I can afford to replace the carpet, is there any relief from the odor?

By Aunt B from Louisville

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

What are you using to clean? When one of my cats has an accident on my carpet, I use an enzymatic cleaner. I got mine at Petsmart, but I've heard that enzymatic cleaners can easily be found at other stores like Walmart and Target. It helps break down the odors/residue, so the animals don't keep coming back to the same spot.

I also had to use it on my couch once -- when one of our cats was a weak little kitten, he had a pee accident. I saturated the area with the enzymatic cleaner and used my carpet cleaner to pull up as much moisture as possible, and repeated a few times. I gave one more spritz of cleaner to the surface, and let it air dry. My cats checked out the area while it was still wet, but once it was completely dry, they acted like nothing was there!

If your stains are very old or extensive, you might might need several applications, but I believe it will help at least reduce the smell. Best of luck! (09/05/2010)

By mrs.story

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Get a product that is called XO; it's available from QVC.com; works fantastic and they use it in nursing homes! Will take care of both human and animal odors and all others as well! (09/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

How do I get rid of old urine dog smell from broadloom carpet?

How do I get the smell of dog urine out of my carpet?

What is the best thing to remove dog urine and urine smell from my carpet?

Hello to all you wonderful people out there I need your help. My dog decided to go pee pee where I couldn't see her and of course she left a yellow stain on my new beige rug and of course it also smells of urine.

How do I remove dog urine smell from carpet. My 13 year old lab has had a few accidents.