Cranberry-Sesame Pork Loin

• 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce
  • 1 packet pork gravy mix (McCormick is good)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Ad
  • 3 Tbsp. smoky-flavored barbecue sauce (or use regular barbecue sauce and add 1 tsp. liquid smoke)
  • 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
  • piece of boneless pork loin, NOT tenderloin, unsliced (about 3 pounds or so)

In saucepan, whisk together cranberry sauce, powdered gravy mix, water, garlic, and barbecue sauce (with liquid smoke, if using). Heat to boiling, and boil for one minute. Lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes.

Place piece of loin fat-side-up in a roasting pan (no rack) or large casserole dish that fits the meat with some additional room. Spread meat with half of prepared sauce, reserving the other half in refrigerator. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover tightly with foil (without allowing foil to touch meat) and bake at 350 degrees F for one hour. Remove foil and return to oven for 30-45 minutes or until very tender. Let cool just enough to slice. Re-heat the reserved sauce and serve over sliced pork.

Alternatively, you can cook the pork with the entirety of the sauce preparation for a slightly "saucier" flavor.

Whichever preparation, the finished product keeps well in a crock-pot or insulated pan for taking to potlucks or church dinners, and it is excellent when gently reheated.

I believe this is a thrifty recipe because boneless pork loins often go on sale in my area for as cheap as $1.79 per pound if one buys a whole or at least a half of a loin. I often buy them when on sale, cut into 3 pound portions, and freeze to later use for this recipe. Or, it is easy to triple or quadruple the sauce amounts and cook an entire 10 or 12 pound loin for large gatherings. Occasionally, you can find cans of whole berry cranberry sauce reduced very very cheaply after Thanksgiving and Christmas are over. I stock up with as many as I can find at a reduced rate.

Source: Adapted from an old newspaper clipping my mother had.

By Shawna from Paris, TN

Pork Loin
Pork Loin Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats PorkAugust 15, 2008
Stuffed Pork Loin
Stuffed Pork Loin Recipes
Sliced Cranberry Bread
Cranberry Bread Recipes
Barbecue Pork
Barbecue Pork Recipes
Cooked Pork Loin
Cooking a Frozen Boneless Pork Loin