Microwave Turns on But Doesn't Heat Food

My Delonghi microwave lights up, and the turntable works, but it doesn't heat. Any ideas? Cheers.
Marg from England

By Marg from England

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

This happened to us. You're element has gone out & you'll need to buy a new microwave (or one at the thrift store). In the USA you can get one for only $25. I paid $50 & got a really nice one. I was surprised at how cheep they are!

* This doesn't apply to burned-out elements, but for other microwave problems. I have a friend that used to repair microwaves back in the 70's when they were costly & he told me that what kills most microwaves is people slamming the microwave's door. Tell your family to always shut the microwave's door quietly & gently & your microwave will last many years longer!

Guess that's it then. Off to the shop. Thanks Cyinda, also for the tip about shutting the door gently. All the best Marg.

Before you replace it. or buy a new element, try unplugging it for about 5 minutes. Then plug it back in. Sometimes it just needs a reset.

Answer

I have a GE microwave oven model No.JES1139DS1BB that won't heat up the food.

By Demetrius

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is probably a fuse. You can go in the search bar and look under troubleshooting a microwave that doesn't heat and it will help you with step by step instructions. Good Luck.

Read More Answers...

The over-the-range microwave oven will power on, but will not cook/heat. Is it the microwave or the outlet?

littelvick from AR

Answers:

Microwave Turns On But Doesn't Heat Food

Ours stopped working just like yours at 11PM the night before Thanksgiving. The next morning at 8 am my husband was in KMart getting a new one as trying to serve Thanksgiving dinner. Without one with our menu plan would have been difficult.

We think the problem is with the magnetron. Without it functioning, it is like turning on a gas oven without access to gas. The mechanism to provide the heat is not working. Look up your model on the internet and see what you can come up with. Our particular brand had a ton of people who posted the exact same difficulty with it. It was the magnetron.

It was a shame, because I only had this microwave for 1.5 years and it broke. It was not worth fixing. It was just as costly to replace it as to repair it. The microwave I had before this one lasted 23 years. The only reason I bought this new one was, because the old one's handle broke and I could not open or close the door. The thing still worked, though. (12/24/2008)

By ginabeana

The motor and the fan is working, but the heating element is broken. The easiest fix is a new microwave. Sorry. This also happened to us. These days you can buy a top-of-the-line one for under 50 bucks, or a cheapie one for only $30. We paid $60 not on sale) it was the very best you could buy. There's always the Goodwill or thrift stores. A used one can be had for less than $20. Make sure you bring in a bottle or a cup of water so you can plug it in and test it first. A used one could last you for one day or 20 years. Ya just never know. (12/27/2008)

By Cyinda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Photo of a microwave oven.
Repairing a Microwave That Won't Heat
Home and Garden Repair Appliances MicrowaveDecember 7, 2009
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
person operating microwave
Repairing a Microwave
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 11:12:16 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 560 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.