My Delonghi microwave lights up, and the turntable works, but it doesn't heat. Any ideas? Cheers.
Marg from England
By Marg from England
This happened to us. You're element has gone out & you'll need to buy a new microwave (or one at the thrift store). In the USA you can get one for only $25. I paid $50 & got a really nice one. I was surprised at how cheep they are!
* This doesn't apply to burned-out elements, but for other microwave problems. I have a friend that used to repair microwaves back in the 70's when they were costly & he told me that what kills most microwaves is people slamming the microwave's door. Tell your family to always shut the microwave's door quietly & gently & your microwave will last many years longer!
Guess that's it then. Off to the shop. Thanks Cyinda, also for the tip about shutting the door gently. All the best Marg.
Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.
I have a GE microwave oven model No.JES1139DS1BB that won't heat up the food.
First, unplug the microwave for about 5 minutes. Then try waving something. A lot of times it just needs to reset. If it still won't work check the cord; then the inside. Make sure all the elements inside are food free.
The over-the-range microwave oven will power on, but will not cook/heat. Is it the microwave or the outlet?
littelvick from AR
Ours stopped working just like yours at 11PM the night before Thanksgiving. The next morning at 8 am my husband was in KMart getting a new one as trying to serve Thanksgiving dinner. Without one with our menu plan would have been difficult.
We think the problem is with the magnetron. Without it functioning, it is like turning on a gas oven without access to gas. The mechanism to provide the heat is not working. Look up your model on the internet and see what you can come up with. Our particular brand had a ton of people who posted the exact same difficulty with it. It was the magnetron.
It was a shame, because I only had this microwave for 1.5 years and it broke. It was not worth fixing. It was just as costly to replace it as to repair it. The microwave I had before this one lasted 23 years. The only reason I bought this new one was, because the old one's handle broke and I could not open or close the door. The thing still worked, though. (12/24/2008)
The motor and the fan is working, but the heating element is broken. The easiest fix is a new microwave. Sorry. This also happened to us. These days you can buy a top-of-the-line one for under 50 bucks, or a cheapie one for only $30. We paid $60 not on sale) it was the very best you could buy. There's always the Goodwill or thrift stores. A used one can be had for less than $20. Make sure you bring in a bottle or a cup of water so you can plug it in and test it first. A used one could last you for one day or 20 years. Ya just never know. (12/27/2008)