Looking for Old Fairy Tales Book

I had a book of fairy tales when I was a child and it finally fell apart. My mother threw it away one day and I would like to replace it. I do not know the title of it (sadly) and it has been 10 years since I have seen it. I purchased it at a yard sale. Now that I have children, I would like to read them stories from this book. There are many books out there that are good, but I want this particular book.

Some of the stories were, Boots and his Brothers, The Sea Maiden, The White Snake, Rapunzel, The Widow's Son, The Ass..Table..and Stick, The Princess Who Lived on a Glass Hill, Puss in Boots, and many others. If anyone could help me find the title and maybe more importantly, the Book I would sincerely appreciate it. I would like to have this particular one. Thanks everyone for your time!

Jamey from Chapel Hill, NC

I found a book that may be what you're looking for. The title is simply "Fairy Tales" as retold by Katharine Gibson, illustrated by Isobel Read, Whitman Publishing, 1950. Amazon showed other publications with different illustrators, but I would imagine that the stories are the same. The source was www.loganberrybooks.com, under "most requested" and then "anthologies".

Hope this is what you are looking for!!

These pictures actually came from a listing on ebay, but hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Check out your local library and see if you can find it there. If you find it, then you'd know what to buy. Gerry

While you're at the library, ask a librarian, especially a children's librarian. Librarians are your friends, and sleuthing out books is their passion.

Thanks to one of the earlier posters about librarians. I am a librarian and I do so enjoy the hunt.

Try one of these. Each has some of the stories you asked about, but I was not able to find a single book with all of them in it. Maybe try to find them at your public library. If the library does not have them, try to find out if they can get them on interlibrary loan. There is actually a copy of the first one available in Bookmooch (http://www.bookmooch.com) if you use it.

Title: My princess treasury.

Published in Bath, England by Parragon, in 2004.

ISBN 1405436522

Title: Popular tales from the Norse.

Author: Peter Christen Asbjørnsen

Publisher: G. Routledge in London in 1900

Because this book is so old, there is no ISBN.

Don't know if this will help you or not, but since we are in the same general area, the book that I had could be the same one. I loved mine too, but unfortunately it is long gone.

Was the cover mostly blue with medieval looking decorations on it? If it is the same book that I had, it was titiled simply, "Grimms Fairy Tales."

If this is what you are looking form it was purchased at a Winn-Dixie store. I remember very plainly, my aunt worked there and she bought it for me for my birthday over 30 years ago.

Hope that this information will help you. Good luck.

I have had good luck finding old books at abebooks.com.

Good Luck

Check out this site http://grimmsfairytales.us/_wsn/page13.html It is a list of all stories in Grimms Fairy Tales. At bottom of page there are a few other Fairy Tale books that you can check the list of contents to. I checked my old Grimms Fairy Tales book (over 74 yrs old) and The Ass, Table and Stick is in that book. I can still remember my mother reading to us kids from this book. I hope you find one.

I just wanted to second the suggestion to visit your library, and add some specific tips.

First, call the main branch of the library in your area, and find out when a children's librarian with lots of experience will both be at work and will be free to help you figure out which book you remember. (Often, about 11:00 in the morning is a good time, but this can vary.)

Then, write down a simple list of everything you can remember about the book, including the earliest year you're sure you had it.

Take the list with you, and your local children's librarian will probably have a lot of fun helping to figure out exactly which book you had. There's even a slim chance they'll have it right there on the shelf!

Happy seeking!

I have actually found the book on ebay thanks to you guys! You have been so much help and I really appreciate your efforts. Now I can share these with my children. Thanks again!

Try Dover Books. www.doverpublications.com If you put "Blue Fairy Book" in their search box you will get a page with all the colors of this series. I remember reading them all in the early 50's. You will be amazed how many tales there are!

That picture of the book with Puss In Boots on it. I have that book! XD

Consumer Advice Product FinderJanuary 27, 2009
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Girl Going to Fairy Tea
Hosting a Fairy Tea
Little Girl Dressed in Fairy Costume
Making a Fairy Costume
🎄