Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt

Finding mysterious bleach spots on your laundry, even when no bleach was used is frustrating. This is a guide about preventing bleach stains on clothing.

Here are questions related to Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing.

Question: Mysterious White Streak and Dots on T-shirt

I have a new light blue sleeveless t-shirt. I pulled it out of the wash and now has white dots and white streak on it. It seems nothing is taking it out. What is this? How did it happen? Can I do anything to fix it? Thank you.

By flower51

Most Recent Answer

By MelBunny [1]08/16/2012

It's possible that a garment or rag with bleach on it got mixed in with your t-shirt. There is no way to return the blue color, that I know of. However, there is one creative solution: Buy a bleach pen that's used for fighting stains. Use it to make white lines and dots on the shirt, then wash it by itself. You'll end up with a t-shirt you designed yourself and you wont have to throw it away.

Question: Mysterious Bleach Stains on Clothing!

I keep getting bleach stains on all of my clothes, I no longer use bleach and have washed the washing machine. Please Help?

Emma from Tas, Australia

Most Recent Answer

By Carol04/25/2011

The same thing has been happening to me, I've tried everything that all of the postings suggest. Spoke directly to Whrlpool and they had no idea what could be causing it either. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is going crazy over this. I also have many friends who have this problem. We don't use acne products. My husband uses topical medication but the stains are usually on MY towels that he doesn't use! The only other thing we have thought is bad dye lots in some clothes but even that doesn't make sense. Somebody help!

Question: Why Am I Getting Bleach Spots On Unbleached Loads?

Can someone help a dumb bachelor? I only use bleach when doing whites in a separate load. I notice periodically a small white bleach stain on an item in later loads of shirts and pants. This obviously ruins the item, and is driving me crazy. This has been happening for years, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. And I don't think it's just me, because I'm starting to notice it on others clothes as well. Can someone help. Thanks.

Larry from Clearwater, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Emm (Guest Post)01/02/2009

I get this bleaching too, mostly around the necks of shirts, and I use a sunscreen-lotion on my face. But I also get it elsewhere (like the legs of underwear), and I rarely use _anything_ but the mildest, most natural, non-allergenic lotions or plain oils, like Jojoba and almond. My BF uses the same face lotion sometimes, but his occasional bleaching spreads evenly down his shoulders. I use maybe a liter of bleach in a couple years.

Cyinda - I used to live in Olympia! I used a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in every load to fight the allergens like dust mites and mold, and the dryer is hot enough to kill anything else! (And hydrogen peroxide works very well on stains on whites - haven't tried it with colors.) I _hate_ to endorse brands, but that Tide pen works wonders on almost all stains (even took the yellow off small a blood stain after that H2O2).

Question: Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

I live in a dorm at school, none of the kids are supposed to use bleach, but of course they do. I've been the lucky person to put clothes in after they are done and have had 3 very nice shirts with bleach stains. How can i prevent this? I don't have the time/money to run just a load before I put my clothes in. Any suggestions?

Kevin from Philly, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Dragon (Guest Post)05/07/2008

ok, I have had 3 of my favorite black shirts get bleach spots on them. What should I do?

p.s. I'm 15, so gimmie a solution that will make sense to a teen :)

Question: Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it. It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months. Very strange.

Thanks for your help,
Sally from South Berwick, ME

Most Recent Answer

By Beth03/06/2011

I was having the same probelm. I would get bleached marks around the collars and sometimes sleeves of my shirts, and around the edge of my towels. I finally narrowed it down to the Clearasil that I was using.

Question: Bleach Stains from my Washer are Driving Me Nuts!

i need help. Every once in a while (more lately) when I do a colored load of wash clothes will come out with what looks to be a bleach stain on them. I have already lost a few shirts and some nice pants and I cant figure out whats doing it. I very rarely use bleach and I know I didnt spill it. I seperate the clothes and follow the lables. I am sick of losing nice clothes. It will only happen to one or two things a load and not every time I do wash. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?? Thanks for the help,

Missy in PA

Most Recent Answer

By Fay Poulish03/11/2010

Thanks everyone for the good hints. I found that I was getting white stains or residue on clothes from the detergent even when I use liquid detergent and diluted it in a jug of water and poured it on the clothes before starting the washer. Using only cold water might be the culprit, although I diluted detergent in hot or warm water first. So annoying to find when hanging clothes on the line and I had to rewash them.

Sometimes I didn't notice the marks until they were dry as I mostly hang them inside out (to avoid fading) and discovered this when putting them away. A little rubbing removed some, but not all. NOW, thank goodness, I have discovered that if I put the undiluted detergent in a large spare plastic cap from a bottle of detergent or softener and place it on top of the clothes close to where the water fills from and turn on the washer, it dissolves the liquid and I rarely get residue stains on clothes. Original we had a plastic ball with an opening until it broke up, and now we just use any large cap that has no sharp edges to harm clothes when agitating.

Solutions: Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing

I recently washed a relatively brand new pair of 100% cotton navy blue dress pants, but the left butt section of the pants got lightly bleached in various spots--probably the residues from previous load of washing whites with bleach. Is there any way to dye it uniformly or make it look brand new again?

If it can be dyed, where would one purchase a quality, inexpensive kit so it can be done correctly and the spotty parts will not look a shade lighter than the rest of the pants? Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening again in the future--this is not the first time it happened to my clothes. Thanks.

BluesClue from D.C.

Answers:
RE: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 02/28/2006
1. Try to find a Sharpy marker pen in the same color, and fill in the spots. If you get the ones meant for marking laundry, you will only have to do this occasionally. Try on an inconspicuous place first. I bought mine at K-Mart.

2. To prevent a reoccurrence, after running a bleach load, run a rinse cycle of only water to remove the residue before your next load. Run it on the lowest cold water setting.

By Jean (Guest Post)
I think you should start using a non-chlorine bleach, then you won't have the problem.
By WIsgal
RE: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/01/2006
Sorry, nothing will ever be the same once it is bleach stained! I love the cleansing power of bleach, but have ruined so many things, sometimes I swear to never use it again. Even small drops left on the counter or washer and your clothes are spotted. I have a whole drawer of "clothes to do yard work in".
I stopped using the bleach dispenser in my washer as I frequently ended up with bleach stains on dark clothing. I can only think that some bleach remains in the dispenser and is deposited on the next load of clothes. Now I add the bleach as the washer is filling and have had no more problems.
By Joankay
RE: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/02/2006
I don't know if there is a way to get rid of the bleach "stain", but i did find out that liquid fabric softener will also "bleach" clothes. I have since switched to fabric softener sheets.
By jmz2005 (Guest Post)
I have had success with dark blue pants/jeans - by using some of these - 1) use ball point pen in the same color as the pants, then smear with alcohol/hair spray - 2) try permanent marker 3) try eye shadow the same color as the pants (the last is a temporary measure
By pamphyila (Guest Post)
RE: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/17/2006
I have been a relentless victim of bleached clothing because of my husband's carelessness. He has ruined yet another outfit by being the lazy person he is! My outfit was washing in the dryer before I went to work so that it would be ready for this evening. Instead of him leaving my outfit be he removed it from the washer (damp from being cleaned) and set it aside so he could wash WHITES! He was too lazy to place it in the dryer, but get this, had enough energy to place my fresh clean outfit back in the washer after he was done with WHITES and BLEACH. Not only was my outfit BLEACHED but it was buried underneath DIRTY Clothes. He hadn't even started a wash cycle. Use a Fabric Marker Pen another posting said that Marvy Fabric Pens are the best permanent solution! Good luck!
By Mad Wife (Guest Post)
RE: Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 04/22/2006
How about navy blue permanent marker?
By Katmommy

Archive: Random Bleach Stains on Laundry

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it. It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months.