Browsing: Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing

Finding mysterious bleach spots on your laundry, even when no bleach was used is frustrating. This is a guide about preventing bleach stains on clothing.

Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 14, 2016 Flag

It's been quite a while since I've posted here, so I'm back for more of your good advice. This isn't the first time I've had this problem and I gotta tell you I'm getting tired of ruining my clothes. This time I have a brand new GE stackable washer/dryer combo, but it happened on my past Kenmore also. I do a load of whites with a little pre-diluted (1:3) Chlorox liquid bleach, but any brand will do it. The next load after that is colored and I specifically wipe off all areas where previous bleach was poured in.

bleach spots

Results of this load: Tiny bleach spots, but not on every item in the tub, just 1 or 2. It's making me wish I drank again! Anyway, this 70 year old bachelor is fuming. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong. I hope I'm not told to do an empty load after the whites to remove any bleach remnants. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since your washer is "brand new", you should take your problem back to the seller for an explanation.

April 30, 2008 Flag

I keep getting bleach stains on all of my clothes, I no longer use bleach and have washed the washing machine. Please Help?

Emma from Tas, Australia

Spoke to an endocrinologist about this problem. Feedback was scary. Will know by end of this week.

Please note one of the following needs to be a constant and majority of people suffering from this voodo

1) anti depressant medication or sleeping pills

2) gym a lot

3) metabolic disturbance you could not even be a diabetic but something with your ph balance is wrong. examples are dry mouth smelly breath, halitosis due to high protein diet.

4) only happens to 3 colours brown, green, beige leaving patches of light pinkish over clothes not concentrated to one area but located around the neck area, under arms, but on linen the pillow will be the most noticeable area bleached, small splashes on areas (duvet), not consistent but patchy like.

Does anyone have any new information on this issue? I have been having this problem for at least 6 years now. I have not used any Tide product for 10 years, I do not use bleach/oxiclean, etc., at all. I have lived in two different areas, so it isn't the water.

It has happened with two different machines, even when this one was brand new! When I washed my 4-year-old son's new light green sheets and put them on his bed, they were fine. After a couple of nights, I noticed yellowish stains all over (obviously, he doesn't use acne meds or whitening toothpaste).

My mother-in-law bought me a very nice set of dark gold sheets, 500 thread count. Again, no spots occurred after washing, but after one night of sleeping on them, there are spots all over the pillow cases (mostly where my young kids had crawled into bed with us in the middle of the night). I'm so upset. I never buy expensive things because everything gets ruined! Now I have a beautiful sheet set ruined in less than a week, and what do I do about it?

The same thing has been happening to me, I've tried everything that all of the postings suggest. Spoke directly to Whrlpool and they had no idea what could be causing it either. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is going crazy over this. I also have many friends who have this problem. We don't use acne products. My husband uses topical medication but the stains are usually on MY towels that he doesn't use! The only other thing we have thought is bad dye lots in some clothes but even that doesn't make sense. Somebody help!

Read More Answers...

April 14, 2008 Flag

Can someone help a dumb bachelor? I only use bleach when doing whites in a separate load. I notice periodically a small white bleach stain on an item in later loads of shirts and pants. This obviously ruins the item, and is driving me crazy. This has been happening for years, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. And I don't think it's just me, because I'm starting to notice it on others clothes as well. Can someone help. Thanks.

Larry from Clearwater, FL

Have you tried washing all your dark clothes first and the load you bleach last? Bleach could be getting on your clothes if you have washed them after a bleach load.

Wash bleached stuff last, then run a rinse cycle on the washer. Hope it helps.

Help I have been a stay at home mom for 19 years and want to get back into the work force. Any ideas about resume styles I can use or websites to help. Working at home is an option but haven't found a crdible one, any help would be wonderful Thanks

I get this bleaching too, mostly around the necks of shirts, and I use a sunscreen-lotion on my face. But I also get it elsewhere (like the legs of underwear), and I rarely use _anything_ but the mildest, most natural, non-allergenic lotions or plain oils, like Jojoba and almond. My BF uses the same face lotion sometimes, but his occasional bleaching spreads evenly down his shoulders. I use maybe a liter of bleach in a couple years.

Cyinda - I used to live in Olympia! I used a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in every load to fight the allergens like dust mites and mold, and the dryer is hot enough to kill anything else! (And hydrogen peroxide works very well on stains on whites - haven't tried it with colors.) I _hate_ to endorse brands, but that Tide pen works wonders on almost all stains (even took the yellow off small a blood stain after that H2O2).

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2006 Flag

I live in a dorm at school, none of the kids are supposed to use bleach, but of course they do. I've been the lucky person to put clothes in after they are done and have had 3 very nice shirts with bleach stains. How can i prevent this? I don't have the time/money to run just a load before I put my clothes in. Any suggestions?

Kevin from Philly, PA

to prevent bleach stains is simple... dont use bleach. there are many effective non-bleach alternatives out there without the risk of permanently ruining clothes

Bleach spots on dark clothes. I have not used bleach in my washer for at least 6 loads and I am still getting bleach spots on my dark clothes. Can this problem be fixed?

ok, I have had 3 of my favorite black shirts get bleach spots on them. What should I do?

p.s. I'm 15, so gimmie a solution that will make sense to a teen :)

Read More Answers...

July 26, 2012 Flag

I have a new light blue sleeveless t-shirt. I pulled it out of the wash and now has white dots and white streak on it. It seems nothing is taking it out. What is this? How did it happen? Can I do anything to fix it? Thank you.

By flower51

It's possible that a garment or rag with bleach on it got mixed in with your t-shirt. There is no way to return the blue color, that I know of. However, there is one creative solution: Buy a bleach pen that's used for fighting stains. Use it to make white lines and dots on the shirt, then wash it by itself. You'll end up with a t-shirt you designed yourself and you wont have to throw it away.

Just Googled and two answers on other threads are the chlorine from the water is doing it so use hot water not cold on darks and dilute detergent before washing Don't pour right onto clothes. I'm going to try those...grrr

March 20, 2006 Flag

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it. It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months. Very strange.

Thanks for your help,
    Sally from South Berwick, ME

I was having the same probelm. I would get bleached marks around the collars and sometimes sleeves of my shirts, and around the edge of my towels. I finally narrowed it down to the Clearasil that I was using.

May 25, 2004 Flag

i need help. Every once in a while (more lately) when I do a colored load of wash clothes will come out with what looks to be a bleach stain on them. I have already lost a few shirts and some nice pants and I cant figure out whats doing it. I very rarely use bleach and I know I didnt spill it. I seperate the clothes and follow the lables. I am sick of losing nice clothes. It will only happen to one or two things a load and not every time I do wash. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?? Thanks for the help,

Missy in PA

i had a lovely pair of khaki combat trousers which have been ruined by bleach. there are a few purple drops all down the front of them as a result of the bleach in the mop bucket. i am devestated as i loved them. any tips as to how i could go about repairing these combats. they are my favourite. karen xoxo

I was noticing I was getting bleach stains on the right sleeve of all my long sleeve shirts and t-shirts until I realized every time I reached in the washer to retrive something I was rubbing my arm against the bleach dispenser. Now I place a piece of clothing over the area to retrive or place something in the washer. This protectes my arm.

Thanks everyone for the good hints. I found that I was getting white stains or residue on clothes from the detergent even when I use liquid detergent and diluted it in a jug of water and poured it on the clothes before starting the washer. Using only cold water might be the culprit, although I diluted detergent in hot or warm water first. So annoying to find when hanging clothes on the line and I had to rewash them.

Sometimes I didn't notice the marks until they were dry as I mostly hang them inside out (to avoid fading) and discovered this when putting them away. A little rubbing removed some, but not all. NOW, thank goodness, I have discovered that if I put the undiluted detergent in a large spare plastic cap from a bottle of detergent or softener and place it on top of the clothes close to where the water fills from and turn on the washer, it dissolves the liquid and I rarely get residue stains on clothes. Original we had a plastic ball with an opening until it broke up, and now we just use any large cap that has no sharp edges to harm clothes when agitating.

Read More Answers...

September 26, 2010 Flag

My daughter has a problem with her laundry. She randomly gets bleach stains on her wash. She has stopped using any bleach and fabric softener and it still happens. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause it. It doesn't seem that the machine would hold bleach for months.

April 30, 2008 Flag
    Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

December 7, 2006 Flag

I ruined two new pairs of pants in two days, both with bleach. The first one I got splatters from the bleach pen on my pink pants and then the next day I was cleaning my kitchen floor and squirted my Clorox floor cleaner and apparently got it all over the one pant leg. I would love to fix these pants, but I don't want to make it worse. I didn't know if dying the pants with the color would help or what I could do. If anyone knows I would love the answer and or suggestion.

Thanks,
    Carolyn from LI, New York

Answers:

Restoring Bleached Clothing

I also used to ruin clothing by washing a load of dark clothes after I had done a washer-load of whites that I had bleached. I pour the bleach into the bleach dispenser on the washer and finally figured out that I had to pour water through the bleach dispenser immediately after pouring the bleach through, because if I didn't, I would invariably ruin something with the leftover bleach that was still in the dispenser. So I keep a pint jar handy and fill it with water and pour it into the dispenser after I pour in the bleach. No more ruined clothes! (06/02/2006)

By Mary Beth

Restoring Bleached Clothing

You can buy a fabric color stripper and then choose a dye to use after they have dried, I would use a color remover first if I wanted the best result possible. (06/02/2006)

By Barbie

Restoring Bleached Clothing

Are the spots in a place where you could have someone applique something over it? And then make a shirt or a piece of jewelry to match?

February 27, 2006 Flag

I recently washed a relatively brand new pair of 100% cotton navy blue dress pants, but the left butt section of the pants got lightly bleached in various spots--probably the residues from previous load of washing whites with bleach. Is there any way to dye it uniformly or make it look brand new again?

If it can be dyed, where would one purchase a quality, inexpensive kit so it can be done correctly and the spotty parts will not look a shade lighter than the rest of the pants? Also, is there a way to prevent this from happening again in the future--this is not the first time it happened to my clothes. Thanks.

BluesClue from D.C.

Answers:
    Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 02/28/2006
    1. Try to find a Sharpy marker pen in the same color, and fill in the spots. If you get the ones meant for marking laundry, you will only have to do this occasionally. Try on an inconspicuous place first. I bought mine at K-Mart.

2. To prevent a reoccurrence, after running a bleach load, run a rinse cycle of only water to remove the residue before your next load. Run it on the lowest cold water setting.

By Jean (Guest Post)
    I think you should start using a non-chlorine bleach, then you won't have the problem.
    By WIsgal
    Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/01/2006
    Sorry, nothing will ever be the same once it is bleach stained! I love the cleansing power of bleach, but have ruined so many things, sometimes I swear to never use it again. Even small drops left on the counter or washer and your clothes are spotted. I have a whole drawer of "clothes to do yard work in".
    I stopped using the bleach dispenser in my washer as I frequently ended up with bleach stains on dark clothing. I can only think that some bleach remains in the dispenser and is deposited on the next load of clothes. Now I add the bleach as the washer is filling and have had no more problems.
    By Joankay
    Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/02/2006
    I don't know if there is a way to get rid of the bleach "stain", but i did find out that liquid fabric softener will also "bleach" clothes. I have since switched to fabric softener sheets.
    By jmz2005 (Guest Post)
    I have had success with dark blue pants/jeans - by using some of these - 1) use ball point pen in the same color as the pants, then smear with alcohol/hair spray - 2) try permanent marker 3) try eye shadow the same color as the pants (the last is a temporary measure
    By pamphyila (Guest Post)
    Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 03/17/2006
    I have been a relentless victim of bleached clothing because of my husband's carelessness. He has ruined yet another outfit by being the lazy person he is! My outfit was washing in the dryer before I went to work so that it would be ready for this evening. Instead of him leaving my outfit be he removed it from the washer (damp from being cleaned) and set it aside so he could wash WHITES! He was too lazy to place it in the dryer, but get this, had enough energy to place my fresh clean outfit back in the washer after he was done with WHITES and BLEACH. Not only was my outfit BLEACHED but it was buried underneath DIRTY Clothes. He hadn't even started a wash cycle. Use a Fabric Marker Pen another posting said that Marvy Fabric Pens are the best permanent solution! Good luck!
    By Mad Wife (Guest Post)
    Preventing and Repairing Bleach Stains on Clothing 04/22/2006
    How about navy blue permanent marker?
    By Katmommy

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 8, 2013
    Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
    Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
    Bleach Bottle on White Background
    Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
    Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
    Preventing Bleach Stains On Clothing
    Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
    Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:29:52 AM on 10.0.1.230 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.