Browsing: Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme

Finding the right amount of this cream to use in place of marshmallows, or vice versa, may be easier than you think. This is a guide about substituting marshmallows and marshmallow creme.

Marshmallows
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 23, 2005 Flag

Substituting Marshmallows for Marshmallow CreamCan you substitute marshmallows for marshmallow cream in fudge? if so, how many large marshmallows equal a 7 ounce jar?

Stacia from Cyprus

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I do this all the time. I weigh the marshmallows and 7 ounces equals 7 ounces. You don't have to be precise, a little more never hurts.

Best Answer

Ditto what everyone else says! I've gone through all the trouble of counting and measuring and weighing, and finally figured out that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be precise. The only problem I've ever run into, is that marshmallows are coated in powder, so if you use too many, it may harden a little too fast. You can alleviate this by setting the pan your cooking it in on a very low heat till you're through mixing (for some reason, the heat keeps it soft), then immediately pour into the pan to set. Comes out great everytime.

Best Answer

Marshmallow cream is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows used in making fudge, frostings and other confections.

Equivalents:

7 oz. jar, 2 1/8 cups

Substitutions:

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler.

I ran into this same issue of not having marshmallow cream, and substituted the approximate number of marshmallows instead. You can determine how many marshmallows equal an ounce by reading on the packaging of your marshmallows. It always tells you how many marshmallows per serving, and how many total servings are in the package if you read on the "Nutrition Facts" area.

The bag I had for instance said that 4 marshmallows was in one serving, and that there were 9 servings in the bag. That tells me that there are about 36 marshmallows total in the bag, and then you can see how many ounces the bag is. My bag of marshmallows was a 10 ounce bag. Dividing by 10 is easy, so 36 marshmallows/10 ounces means there are about 3.6 marshmallows in an ounce. Now we multiply that one ounce by however many ounces you need. The recipe I used also called for 7 ounces, so 3.6 times 7 means you would need about 25-26 marshmallows. (so the 28 marshmallows that you asked about probably worked out just fine) I used 25, and the fudge I was making turned out wonderfully. I hope this helps. I always use this kind of method when I'm told weight, since I don't have a scale.

Read More Answers...

December 15, 2013 Flag

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making fudge?

By KCR from Bellevue, WA

Best Answer

Yes

Marshmallow Fluff Fudge

4 Cups Sugar

1 Can evaporated milk

1 stick butter

1/4 cup of clear Karo syrup

2-12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

7 oz. jar marshmallow crème

2 tsp. vanilla and butter extract

1 square baking Chocolate

Cook sugar & milk until softball 240 degrees F

Add remaining ingredients & beat beater until firm

pour in to buttered 9x13 inch pan.

and

I got this from Thrifty Fun

The best way I've found to prevent fudge from turning gritty (a direct result of the recrystallization of sugar) is to add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for every 2.5 pounds of sugar used. Cream of tartar actually inhibits the sugar recrystallization process.

Follow all other instructions for the recipe. Add a cap of vanilla extract if you notice an odd aftertaste (not everybody is able to taste the cream of tartar).

Source: The French have been using this solution for ages to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing in fondant recipes. I tried it on fudge and it worked wonderfully.

December 16, 2015 Flag

How many cups of marshmallows would it take to substitute for 2 heaping tablespoons of marshmallow creme?

Two regular size marshmallows, unless you are planning on melting them somehow first. What is the recipe?

December 20, 2012 Flag

I have a recipe calling for 12 large marshmallows and all I have is marshmallow cream. Can anyone tell me how much cream I need to make up 12 large marshmallows? Please! Need answer asap. Thanks.

By Sunny

Hope this helps:

http://community.tasteofhome.com/magazine_forums/f/202931/t/777345.aspx

I believe about 4 oz of marshmallow creme or a little more than half of a 7 oz jar should be the equivalent of 12 regular marshmallows. Hope this helps. I did a google search for this information.

Grandma Margie

In my book of substitutions, 6 miniature marshmallows = 1 large and 11 large = 1 cup. I don't know for sure that 1 cup of marshmallows would equal 1 cup of marshmallow cream, but I'm guessing that it would be close.

December 22, 2008 Flag

I have a Fanny Farmer fudge recipe calling for 1 pint of marshmallow creme. It is sold in my area in 7 ounce jars. I know 16 ounces is a pint. But a 7-ounce jar contains about 2 1/2 cups of marshmallow creme. How much should I use in a recipe calling for a 1-pint jar?

Rose from St. Ansgar, IA

Edited with better measurement detail explanation ...

Deeli

Two cups to a pint (8 ounces to a cup). So if the jars you purchase are 7 ounces then you'll need to purchase three jars to be able to have 16 ounces for the recipe and will simply have extra marshmallow creme left over (It refrigerates well) and you can use that leftover marshmallow creme for something else. Perhaps spoon it in to hot chocolate or place on top of ice cream ;-)

It is indeed important to follow the recipe direction amounts for fudge to set properly !!!

I've used a Fanny Farmer Cookbook for about three decades and love it because it's been around for so long before even then :-) Go to this link to find out the history about Fanny and her cookbook ;-)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Farmer

Uh oh. A pint a pound (16 ounces) refers to water. Marshmallows and marshmallow creme have a lot of air in then, so you can't use the pint-a-pound rule.

I think the pint in your recipe means 2 cups of marshmallow creme. Three jars sounds like an awful lot.

The 7 ounce jar likely refers to the weight of the contents of the jar, whereas cups and pints are measures of volume. If you are measuring a pint, then you want to to use the cup measurement. It also depends on whether you are using American measurements or Imperial. American pints are 2 cups, 16 oz of liquid, measured with a measuring cup, not on a scale. Imperial pints are 2 1/2 cups, 20 oz, measured with a measuring cup, not a scale.

I am not familiar with Fanny Farmer, so I am thinking it is a USA thing, and so you want to use 2 cups of your marshmallow cream in this recipe. One jar should be lots, and you will have half a cup left over.

Louel53 has a good point about 'weight' so I just went in to the kitchen and opened a 10 3/4 ounce can of 'condensed' tomato soup to experiment (don't worry, it's in tupperware in the fridge now waiting for lunch tomorrow ;-) ... It was exactly one cup ... At this point I am going to suggest to stick to buying extra jars of the marshmallow cream and return for refund whatever you don't open ;-)

Fanny Farmers recipes were written over a century ago in Massachusetts and I am sure she never dreamed things would be so different these days ;-) I've had trouble with measurements with some of my grama's recipes that she wrote down in the 1930's even :-)

Hope you give this recipe a try and please let us know what you find out and how it turns out !!!

Read More Answers...

December 9, 2006 Flag

Marshmallow Conversion. How much marshmallow cream does it take to equal 2 cups of miniature marshmallows? I am making fudge.

September 14, 2010 Flag

How many ounces are in a pint of marshmallow creme?

December 20, 2010 Flag

Can I substitute marshmallow creme for marshmallows in a fudge recipe?

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJuly 9, 2014
Tinker Toy looking sculpture
Making Marshmallow Sculptures
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 1:07:24 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.