Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme

Finding the right amount of this cream to use in place of marshmallows, or vice versa, may be easier than you think. This is a guide about substituting marshmallows and marshmallow creme.

December 23, 2005 Flag

Can you substitute marshmallows for marshmallow cream in fudge? if so, how many large marshmallows equal a 7 ounce jar?

Stacia from Cyprus

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I do this all the time. I weigh the marshmallows and 7 ounces equals 7 ounces. You don't have to be precise, a little more never hurts.

Best Answer

Ditto what everyone else says! I've gone through all the trouble of counting and measuring and weighing, and finally figured out that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be precise. The only problem I've ever run into, is that marshmallows are coated in powder, so if you use too many, it may harden a little too fast. You can alleviate this by setting the pan your cooking it in on a very low heat till you're through mixing (for some reason, the heat keeps it soft), then immediately pour into the pan to set. Comes out great everytime.

Best Answer

Marshmallow cream is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows used in making fudge, frostings and other confections.

Equivalents:

7 oz. jar, 2 1/8 cups

Substitutions:

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler.

December 15, 2013 Flag

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making fudge?

By KCR from Bellevue, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes

Marshmallow Fluff Fudge

4 Cups Sugar

1 Can evaporated milk

1 stick butter

1/4 cup of clear Karo syrup

2-12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

7 oz. jar marshmallow crème

2 tsp. vanilla and butter extract

1 square baking Chocolate

Cook sugar & milk until softball 240 degrees F

Add remaining ingredients & beat beater until firm

pour in to buttered 9x13 inch pan.

and

I got this from Thrifty Fun

The best way I've found to prevent fudge from turning gritty (a direct result of the recrystallization of sugar) is to add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for every 2.5 pounds of sugar used. Cream of tartar actually inhibits the sugar recrystallization process.

Follow all other instructions for the recipe. Add a cap of vanilla extract if you notice an odd aftertaste (not everybody is able to taste the cream of tartar).

Source: The French have been using this solution for ages to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing in fondant recipes. I tried it on fudge and it worked wonderfully.

December 16, 2015 Flag

How many cups of marshmallows would it take to substitute for 2 heaping tablespoons of marshmallow creme?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Two regular size marshmallows, unless you are planning on melting them somehow first. What is the recipe?

how many marshmallows is needed for 1/2 cup of marshmallow creme

December 20, 2012 Flag

I have a recipe calling for 12 large marshmallows and all I have is marshmallow cream. Can anyone tell me how much cream I need to make up 12 large marshmallows? Please! Need answer asap. Thanks.

By Sunny

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hope this helps:

http://communit  31/t/777345.aspx

I believe about 4 oz of marshmallow creme or a little more than half of a 7 oz jar should be the equivalent of 12 regular marshmallows. Hope this helps. I did a google search for this information.

Grandma Margie

In my book of substitutions, 6 miniature marshmallows = 1 large and 11 large = 1 cup. I don't know for sure that 1 cup of marshmallows would equal 1 cup of marshmallow cream, but I'm guessing that it would be close.

December 9, 2006 Flag

How much marshmallow cream does it take to equal 2 cups of miniature marshmallows? I am making fudge.

Boomba from Wrightstown, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making Rice Krispies treats? Yes.

According to Kraft-General Foods Inc., a 7-ounce jar of marshmallow creme may be used in place of 4 cups of miniature marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows when making Rice Krispies treats. It may take longer for the treats to harden enough to cut into squares, but once they are set, they are just like the traditional treats!

Caution: Marshmallow creme cannot be substituted for marshmallows in all recipes due to possible changes in texture or consistency.

Substitutions

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler. PER THE GOURMET SLUETH Happy Holidays

How do I measure 3 cups miniature marshmallows?

December 22, 2008 Flag

I have a Fanny Farmer fudge recipe calling for 1 pint of marshmallow creme. It is sold in my area in 7 ounce jars. I know 16 ounces is a pint. But a 7-ounce jar contains about 2 1/2 cups of marshmallow creme. How much should I use in a recipe calling for a 1-pint jar?

Rose from St. Ansgar, IA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Edited with better measurement detail explanation ...

Deeli

Two cups to a pint (8 ounces to a cup). So if the jars you purchase are 7 ounces then you'll need to purchase three jars to be able to have 16 ounces for the recipe and will simply have extra marshmallow creme left over (It refrigerates well) and you can use that leftover marshmallow creme for something else. Perhaps spoon it in to hot chocolate or place on top of ice cream ;-)

It is indeed important to follow the recipe direction amounts for fudge to set properly !!!

I've used a Fanny Farmer Cookbook for about three decades and love it because it's been around for so long before even then :-) Go to this link to find out the history about Fanny and her cookbook ;-)http://en.wikip  ki/Fannie_Farmer

Uh oh. A pint a pound (16 ounces) refers to water. Marshmallows and marshmallow creme have a lot of air in then, so you can't use the pint-a-pound rule.

I think the pint in your recipe means 2 cups of marshmallow creme. Three jars sounds like an awful lot.

The 7 ounce jar likely refers to the weight of the contents of the jar, whereas cups and pints are measures of volume. If you are measuring a pint, then you want to to use the cup measurement. It also depends on whether you are using American measurements or Imperial. American pints are 2 cups, 16 oz of liquid, measured with a measuring cup, not on a scale. Imperial pints are 2 1/2 cups, 20 oz, measured with a measuring cup, not a scale.

I am not familiar with Fanny Farmer, so I am thinking it is a USA thing, and so you want to use 2 cups of your marshmallow cream in this recipe. One jar should be lots, and you will have half a cup left over.

September 14, 2010 Flag

How many ounces are in a pint of marshmallow creme?

By Louise from Saylorsburg, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello There is 16 ozs. in a pint no matter how it is measured.

Donna

A pint-sized jar of marshmallow cream is about 7 ounces.

A pint's a pound the world around.

December 20, 2010 Flag

Can I substitute marshmallow creme for marshmallows in a fudge recipe?

By Kathy from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For the person substituting marhmallows instead of the cream in a jar. For every 11/2 cups of sugar use 2 cups of mini marshmallows for fudge.

I think the previous poster has it backwards: the requester wanted to use the creme. On the jar of creme, you will usually find the recipe. I have used nothing but creme for years, but right now I can't recall the exact amount. Google the request indicating your question re creme. Cay from FL

February 27, 2009 Flag

I want to substitute marshmallow creme for marshmallows. I only have a recipe for Rice Krispie treats with marshmallows. How do I substitute the marshmallow creme for the marshmallows?

Jonna from Manheim, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here is a recipe for Krispie Treats from the original site. It uses marshmallows...but at the bottom of the recipe it says:

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.

* 3 tablespoons butter or margarine

* 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows

* - OR -

* 4 cups miniature marshmallows

* 6 cups Rice Krispies

Rest of the recipe here:

http://www.rice  p;recipe_id=1605

There are a lot of other Krispie treat recipes of various types on that site too. I love mine made with some peanut butter!

I personally prefer using marshmallows...cheaper, easier to work with and always in the pantry for other things. I do mine in the micro. Reading this site makes me hungry. :-)

When I had a snack bar at a local flea market years ago, I made these every week for the snack bar. I used 1 jar of marshmallow creme(7oz) and I would add 3 or 4 marshmallows to it as I heated the butter and the marshmallow creme. When the marshmallows had melted, I knew it was heated enough to add the Rice Krispies. I liked them better this way because they were softer than with all marshmallows.

Harlean from Arkansas

March 13, 2015 Flag

I'm always making half a recipe, so how many cups do I need for half a 10 oz bag of miniature marshmallows?

By BB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 1, 2015 Flag

1 pint of marshmallow creme equals how many cups?

By Bonnie P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 4, 2014 Flag

How many marshmallows or how many grams of marshmallows would make 7 ounces of marshmallow crème?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 19, 2012 Flag

In making the Rice Krispies egg surprise with creme how much of a 12oz. jar would you use? Do I need to heat it as well? Thank you.

By Shirley from Tulsa, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJuly 9, 2014
Tinker Toy looking sculpture
Making Marshmallow Sculptures
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 7:51:25 PM on 10.0.0.119 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.