Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Substituting Marshmallows for Marshmallow Cream

Can you substitute marshmallows for marshmallow cream in fudge? if so, how many large marshmallows equal a 7 ounce jar?

Stacia from Cyprus

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By (Guest Post)04/13/2008

Marshmallow cream is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows used in making fudge, frostings and other confections.

Equivalents:
7 oz. jar, 2 1/8 cups

Substitutions:
For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler.

By susan [5]12/26/2005

Ditto what everyone else says! I've gone through all the trouble of counting and measuring and weighing, and finally figured out that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be precise. The only problem I've ever run into, is that marshmallows are coated in powder, so if you use too many, it may harden a little too fast. You can alleviate this by setting the pan your cooking it in on a very low heat till you're through mixing (for some reason, the heat keeps it soft), then immediately pour into the pan to set. Comes out great everytime.

By Aunty C (Guest Post)12/24/2005

I do this all the time. I weigh the marshmallows and 7 ounces equals 7 ounces. You don't have to be precise, a little more never hurts.

By dmr_smilebehappy11/12/2013

I ran into this same issue of not having marshmallow cream, and substituted the approximate number of marshmallows instead. You can determine how many marshmallows equal an ounce by reading on the packaging of your marshmallows. It always tells you how many marshmallows per serving, and how many total servings are in the package if you read on the "Nutrition Facts" area.

The bag I had for instance said that 4 marshmallows was in one serving, and that there were 9 servings in the bag. That tells me that there are about 36 marshmallows total in the bag, and then you can see how many ounces the bag is. My bag of marshmallows was a 10 ounce bag. Dividing by 10 is easy, so 36 marshmallows/10 ounces means there are about 3.6 marshmallows in an ounce. Now we multiply that one ounce by however many ounces you need. The recipe I used also called for 7 ounces, so 3.6 times 7 means you would need about 25-26 marshmallows. (so the 28 marshmallows that you asked about probably worked out just fine) I used 25, and the fudge I was making turned out wonderfully. I hope this helps. I always use this kind of method when I'm told weight, since I don't have a scale.

By thanku4today06/22/2013

This question is for Vette.

Regarding your calculation:
If 4lg marshmallow =1oz. How does 44lg marshmallow =7oz.?
Shouldn't 28lg marshmallow = 7oz or 44lg marshmallow =10oz?

Am I reading that wrong? I'm trying to get the correct conversion for my fudge recipes also.

Thanks!

11/27/2012

Maybe 7 oz. volume and 7 oz. weight is being confused here?

By lpearson10/15/2012

An oz. is an oz. but when doing this it helps keep the fudge creamy and not dry out as fast. If you over cook the other ingredients it will make the fudge grainy. When using the cream it is a little more forgiving but it has nothing to do with the use of marshmallows over the cream.

By Ivette5212/08/2011

4 lg marshmallows = 1 oz so 44lg marshmallows = 7 oz equivalent to a 7 oz jar of marshmallow cream

By Melissa12/25/2010

I used 4 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows and 2 tsp corn syrup in place of 7 oz marshmallow creme in my fudge recipe. The fudge tastes great, is soft and easy to cut into pieces.

By gayle01/22/2010

Don't do it. It was the worst fudge I ever made; fell apart when I cut it. Go back to the store and buy some marshmallow cream!

By Barbara (Guest Post)02/10/2008

I want to substitute miniature marshmallows for one jar of marshmallow creme. How do I measure the marshmallows?

By Jody (Guest Post)09/18/2007

This is the exact question I am looking for. I say just as the others say. Weigh them out then heat them up til you are about to put the marshmallows into the pan. A little more of the m'mallows never hurts.

By tom (Guest Post)12/24/2006

ausome

By clayton (Guest Post)02/05/2006

i think that u should weigh the marshmallows out 2 7oz and then heat them up in the microwave til they melt. but that's just me.

By JOYFUL (Guest Post)12/24/2005

Crazy Mamie Fudge

Ingredients
&frac; cup butter (1/2 stick, chilled)
4 &frac; cup sugar (granulated)
12 oz evaporated milk (one large can)
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate coins
12 oz milk chocolate chips or chocolate coins
<B>13-14 oz marshmallow creme or marshmallow fluff
(two 7 oz jars, may substitute 4 cups of mini-marshmallows) (SO I GUESS 7OZ OF FLUFF=4CUPS OF MINI MARMALLOWS )</B>
2 cup nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, chopped medium)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp imitation butter flavor (optional)

Method
1. Line a 13" x 9" pan with aluminum foil, butter the insides, and set aside.
2. Place chips, vanilla & butter flavor, about half the marshmallow creme, chilled butter,
and nuts into a LARGE saucepan or Pyrex glass dish and set aside (or in the refrigerator).
3. Use Medium heat to bring the milk and sugar to a rolling boil while stirring constantly
with a wooden spoon or single stem hand mixer.
4. Add marshmallow creme - fold in - the boil will stop.
5. Bring back to a rolling boil and continue to boil for 8 full minutes by the clock
(start timing once all the marshmallow has completely dissolved and the boil has resumed).
Use the lowest flame possible to keep the rolling boil.
The mixture will expand and start to turn brown during the boil.
If you get brown flakes in the mixture then turn down the heat a little and continue stirring.
6. Remove from heat and pour hot mixture over chips, vanilla, butter, butter flavor, and nuts
without scraping the sides of the hot saucepan.
7. Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared pan.
8. Cool 2-3 hours at room temperature.
9. Remove from pan, remove foil, cut into squares. Store in an airtight container with
wax paper dividers for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 4 pounds of fudge.
Chefs Note: The better the chocolate you use the better your fudge will taste!

(c) 1997 T. P. Skaarup, original recipe. May be copied unaltered. All rights reserved

By (Guest Post)12/24/2005

MARSHMALLOWS
Ten large marshmallows = 1 cup miniature marshmallows; 4 large marshmallows = 1 ounce; 1/2 cup mini marshmallows = 1 ounce.

MARSHMALLOW CREME OR FLUFF
1 (6- or 7-ounce) jar Marshmallow Creme or Fluff = Gently heat 1 (16-ounce) package marshmallows plus 3 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup. Gently melt in a double boiler, stirring constantly.

So I'm thinking to MAKE 7 oz's of fluff you need 16 oz's of marhmallows.. as weird as that sounds?

Anyone else?

By (Guest Post)12/24/2005

Hmm... thinking 7oz's is 7 oz's ? Maybe weighing out 7oz's of marmallows on a scale?