Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme

Finding the right amount of this cream to use in place of marshmallows, or vice versa, may be easier than you think. This is a guide about substituting marshmallows and marshmallow creme.

December 23, 2005 Flag

Can you substitute marshmallows for marshmallow cream in fudge? if so, how many large marshmallows equal a 7 ounce jar?

Stacia from Cyprus

Best Answer

I do this all the time. I weigh the marshmallows and 7 ounces equals 7 ounces. You don't have to be precise, a little more never hurts.

Best Answer

Ditto what everyone else says! I've gone through all the trouble of counting and measuring and weighing, and finally figured out that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be precise. The only problem I've ever run into, is that marshmallows are coated in powder, so if you use too many, it may harden a little too fast. You can alleviate this by setting the pan your cooking it in on a very low heat till you're through mixing (for some reason, the heat keeps it soft), then immediately pour into the pan to set. Comes out great everytime.

Best Answer

Marshmallow cream is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows used in making fudge, frostings and other confections.

Equivalents:

7 oz. jar, 2 1/8 cups

Substitutions:

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler.

I was looking for the opposite situation, but , as a side note, marshmallow cream uses egg whites, while marshmallows use gelatin. For vegetarians, gelatin isn't an option.

December 15, 2013 Flag

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making fudge?

By KCR from Bellevue, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Yes

Marshmallow Fluff Fudge

4 Cups Sugar

1 Can evaporated milk

1 stick butter

1/4 cup of clear Karo syrup

2-12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

7 oz. jar marshmallow crème

2 tsp. vanilla and butter extract

1 square baking Chocolate

Cook sugar & milk until softball 240 degrees F

Add remaining ingredients & beat beater until firm

pour in to buttered 9x13 inch pan.

and

I got this from Thrifty Fun

The best way I've found to prevent fudge from turning gritty (a direct result of the recrystallization of sugar) is to add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for every 2.5 pounds of sugar used. Cream of tartar actually inhibits the sugar recrystallization process.

Follow all other instructions for the recipe. Add a cap of vanilla extract if you notice an odd aftertaste (not everybody is able to taste the cream of tartar).

Source: The French have been using this solution for ages to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing in fondant recipes. I tried it on fudge and it worked wonderfully.

December 16, 2015 Flag

How many cups of marshmallows would it take to substitute for 2 heaping tablespoons of marshmallow creme?

Two regular size marshmallows, unless you are planning on melting them somehow first. What is the recipe?

how many marshmallows is needed for 1/2 cup of marshmallow creme

December 20, 2012 Flag

I have a recipe calling for 12 large marshmallows and all I have is marshmallow cream. Can anyone tell me how much cream I need to make up 12 large marshmallows? Please! Need answer asap. Thanks.

By Sunny

Hope this helps:

http://community.tasteofhome.com/magazine_forums/f/202931/t/777345.aspx

I believe about 4 oz of marshmallow creme or a little more than half of a 7 oz jar should be the equivalent of 12 regular marshmallows. Hope this helps. I did a google search for this information.

Grandma Margie

In my book of substitutions, 6 miniature marshmallows = 1 large and 11 large = 1 cup. I don't know for sure that 1 cup of marshmallows would equal 1 cup of marshmallow cream, but I'm guessing that it would be close.

December 22, 2008 Flag

I have a Fanny Farmer fudge recipe calling for 1 pint of marshmallow creme. It is sold in my area in 7 ounce jars. I know 16 ounces is a pint. But a 7-ounce jar contains about 2 1/2 cups of marshmallow creme. How much should I use in a recipe calling for a 1-pint jar?

Rose from St. Ansgar, IA

There are 2 cups in a pint.

I have seen the marshmallow creme sold in both 7 oz or 13 oz jars. Most fudge recipes I have seen call for a full 7 oz jar. Maybe your recipe is a bit different.

There are several fudge recipes going by that same name. Maybe check them and compare to yours to get an idea of proportions:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& ... mer%22+fudge+recipe+&btnG=Search

Edited with better measurement detail explanation ...

Deeli

Two cups to a pint (8 ounces to a cup). So if the jars you purchase are 7 ounces then you'll need to purchase three jars to be able to have 16 ounces for the recipe and will simply have extra marshmallow creme left over (It refrigerates well) and you can use that leftover marshmallow creme for something else. Perhaps spoon it in to hot chocolate or place on top of ice cream ;-)

It is indeed important to follow the recipe direction amounts for fudge to set properly !!!

I've used a Fanny Farmer Cookbook for about three decades and love it because it's been around for so long before even then :-) Go to this link to find out the history about Fanny and her cookbook ;-)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fannie_Farmer

Uh oh. A pint a pound (16 ounces) refers to water. Marshmallows and marshmallow creme have a lot of air in then, so you can't use the pint-a-pound rule.

I think the pint in your recipe means 2 cups of marshmallow creme. Three jars sounds like an awful lot.

The 7 ounce jar likely refers to the weight of the contents of the jar, whereas cups and pints are measures of volume. If you are measuring a pint, then you want to to use the cup measurement. It also depends on whether you are using American measurements or Imperial. American pints are 2 cups, 16 oz of liquid, measured with a measuring cup, not on a scale. Imperial pints are 2 1/2 cups, 20 oz, measured with a measuring cup, not a scale.

I am not familiar with Fanny Farmer, so I am thinking it is a USA thing, and so you want to use 2 cups of your marshmallow cream in this recipe. One jar should be lots, and you will have half a cup left over.

December 9, 2006 Flag

How much marshmallow cream does it take to equal 2 cups of miniature marshmallows? I am making fudge.

Boomba from Wrightstown, WI

I would just melt the marshmallows in the microwave with a little margerine like you do for rice krispie treats and then measure out two cups.

Sorry- I think I understood your question backwards the first time. Anyway, just guess! You probabley wouldn't be too far off :)

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making Rice Krispies treats? Yes.

According to Kraft-General Foods Inc., a 7-ounce jar of marshmallow creme may be used in place of 4 cups of miniature marshmallows or 40 large marshmallows when making Rice Krispies treats. It may take longer for the treats to harden enough to cut into squares, but once they are set, they are just like the traditional treats!

Caution: Marshmallow creme cannot be substituted for marshmallows in all recipes due to possible changes in texture or consistency.

Substitutions

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler. PER THE GOURMET SLUETH Happy Holidays

September 14, 2010 Flag

How many ounces are in a pint of marshmallow creme?

By Louise from Saylorsburg, PA

Hello There is 16 ozs. in a pint no matter how it is measured.

Donna

A pint-sized jar of marshmallow cream is about 7 ounces.

A pint's a pound the world around.

What do you readers thin about substituting 7 ounces of creame for 7 ounces of marshmallows? Seems like it would work. If you don't have a scale I recommend one for all kinds of cooking. Please let me know what you think about an ounce per ounce substitution?

Load More
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJuly 9, 2014
Tinker Toy looking sculpture
Making Marshmallow Sculptures
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
🎉
🎄