Substituting Marshmallows and Marshmallow Creme

Finding the right amount of this cream to use in place of marshmallows, or vice versa, may be easier than you think. This is a guide about substituting marshmallows and marshmallow creme.

Marshmallows
Filter Sort

Question: Substituting Marshmallows for Marshmallow Cream

Substituting Marshmallows for Marshmallow CreamCan you substitute marshmallows for marshmallow cream in fudge? if so, how many large marshmallows equal a 7 ounce jar?

Stacia from Cyprus

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I do this all the time. I weigh the marshmallows and 7 ounces equals 7 ounces. You don't have to be precise, a little more never hurts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

Ditto what everyone else says! I've gone through all the trouble of counting and measuring and weighing, and finally figured out that it doesn't matter. You don't have to be precise. The only problem I've ever run into, is that marshmallows are coated in powder, so if you use too many, it may harden a little too fast. You can alleviate this by setting the pan your cooking it in on a very low heat till you're through mixing (for some reason, the heat keeps it soft), then immediately pour into the pan to set. Comes out great everytime.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Marshmallow cream is a whipped, spreadable version of puffy marshmallows used in making fudge, frostings and other confections.

Equivalents:

7 oz. jar, 2 1/8 cups

Substitutions:

For 1 cup marshmallow cream heat 16 large or 160 miniature marshmallows + 2 tsp corn syrup in the top of a double boiler.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Marshmallow Conversion

How much marshmallow cream does it take to equal 2 cups of miniature marshmallows? I am making fudge.

Boomba from Wrightstown, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

How do I measure 3 cups miniature marshmallows?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Measuring Marshmallow Creme for Fudge Recipe

By Rose Moore 1

I have a Fanny Farmer fudge recipe calling for 1 pint of marshmallow creme. It is sold in my area in 7 ounce jars. I know 16 ounces is a pint. But a 7-ounce jar contains about 2 1/2 cups of marshmallow creme. How much should I use in a recipe calling for a 1-pint jar?

Rose from St. Ansgar, IA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

Louel53 has a good point about 'weight' so I just went in to the kitchen and opened a 10 3/4 ounce can of 'condensed' tomato soup to experiment (don't worry, it's in tupperware in the fridge now waiting for lunch tomorrow ;-) ... It was exactly one cup ... At this point I am going to suggest to stick to buying extra jars of the marshmallow cream and return for refund whatever you don't open ;-)

Fanny Farmers recipes were written over a century ago in Massachusetts and I am sure she never dreamed things would be so different these days ;-) I've had trouble with measurements with some of my grama's recipes that she wrote down in the 1930's even :-)

Hope you give this recipe a try and please let us know what you find out and how it turns out !!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Marshmallow Crème to Make Fudge

Can I use marshmallow creme in place of regular marshmallows when making fudge?

By KCR from Bellevue, WA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Babette 36 233 Flag

Yes

Marshmallow Fluff Fudge

4 Cups Sugar

1 Can evaporated milk

1 stick butter

1/4 cup of clear Karo syrup

2-12 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

7 oz. jar marshmallow crème

2 tsp. vanilla and butter extract

1 square baking Chocolate

Cook sugar & milk until softball 240 degrees F

Add remaining ingredients & beat beater until firm

pour in to buttered 9x13 inch pan.

and

I got this from Thrifty Fun

The best way I've found to prevent fudge from turning gritty (a direct result of the recrystallization of sugar) is to add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for every 2.5 pounds of sugar used. Cream of tartar actually inhibits the sugar recrystallization process.

Follow all other instructions for the recipe. Add a cap of vanilla extract if you notice an odd aftertaste (not everybody is able to taste the cream of tartar).

Source: The French have been using this solution for ages to prevent the sugar from recrystallizing in fondant recipes. I tried it on fudge and it worked wonderfully.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Marshmallow Cream for Marshmallows

By skmischke 1

I have a recipe calling for 12 large marshmallows and all I have is marshmallow cream. Can anyone tell me how much cream I need to make up 12 large marshmallows? Please! Need answer asap. Thanks.

By Sunny

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandy Kinney 24 12/22/2012 Flag

In my book of substitutions, 6 miniature marshmallows = 1 large and 11 large = 1 cup. I don't know for sure that 1 cup of marshmallows would equal 1 cup of marshmallow cream, but I'm guessing that it would be close.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Marshmallow Cream

By Louise 1

How many ounces are in a pint of marshmallow creme?

By Louise from Saylorsburg, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sheilah Link 5 328 Flag

A pint's a pound the world around.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Marshmallow Creme for Marshmallows in Fudge

By Kathy 1

Can I substitute marshmallow creme for marshmallows in a fudge recipe?

By Kathy from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carolyn C. Cooke 19 222 Flag

I think the previous poster has it backwards: the requester wanted to use the creme. On the jar of creme, you will usually find the recipe. I have used nothing but creme for years, but right now I can't recall the exact amount. Google the request indicating your question re creme. Cay from FL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Marshmallow Creme for Marshmallows

By Jonna Hoffer 1

I want to substitute marshmallow creme for marshmallows. I only have a recipe for Rice Krispie treats with marshmallows. How do I substitute the marshmallow creme for the marshmallows?

Jonna from Manheim, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Harlean 142 427 Flag

When I had a snack bar at a local flea market years ago, I made these every week for the snack bar. I used 1 jar of marshmallow creme(7oz) and I would add 3 or 4 marshmallows to it as I heated the butter and the marshmallow creme. When the marshmallows had melted, I knew it was heated enough to add the Rice Krispies. I liked them better this way because they were softer than with all marshmallows.

Harlean from Arkansas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I'm always making half a recipe, so how many cups do I need for half a 10 oz bag of miniature marshmallows?

By BB

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Measuring Marshmallow Creme

1 pint of marshmallow creme equals how many cups?

By Bonnie P

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Marshmallow Crème for Marshmallow

How many marshmallows or how many grams of marshmallows would make 7 ounces of marshmallow crème?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Substituting Marshmallow Creme in Rice Krispies Egg Surprise

In making the Rice Krispies egg surprise with creme how much of a 12oz. jar would you use? Do I need to heat it as well? Thank you.

By Shirley from Tulsa, OK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJuly 9, 2014
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
Marshmallow Frosting Recipes
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:30:54 PM on 10.0.2.64 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings