Cleaning Wax Off Countertops

Anyone who's ever said "just wait for it to dry and chip it off" has never actually tried to clean wax off a nice shiny countertop. I spilled candle wax and it wasn't the kind of wax that gets hard. It stayed soft and gooey even after I laid a bag off ice on it to freeze it.

Here's what I did to get it off. I scraped up as much wax as I could with a non-metal instrument (I used a wooden chopstick, but I bet a credit card or Popsicle stick would work). I got a small stack of paper towels and my clothes iron. I put a paper towel over the wax and ironed the paper towel. I repeated this a few times with new clean paper towels, sopping up more wax as I went along. Once most of the wax was gone and while the remaining wax was still warm, I cleaned the rest off with window cleaner.

I even tried this on an old wax spill and it worked beautifully!

By Jess from Chicago, IL

By Cricket 205 896 07/06/2009

This is perfect timing! I spent all yesterday afternoon melting some candle wax and cleaning out jars that they were in. I have a mess on my counter! I scrubbed most off with a brill-o pad but can still feel it. I"ll take the iron to it tomorrow. Thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jennifer Bisson 07/07/2009

Try a hair dryer instead. Start with a non scraping tool to remove the excess then melt the wax with a hair dryer on LOW! Finally, blot with pieces of a brown paper bag. This way you don't have to clean the iron of afterward and the brown paper bag will soak up every last bit of wax.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By caper_1972 01/30/2014

Question? I have a wax burner and my daughter just accidently spilled it all over my counter top. I got most of the wax off but my countertop has a film over it where it was all split. I tried using different cleaners and it doesn't seem to work. Any recommendations?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment