Removing Anti-Reflective Coating from Glasses

Category Eye Glasses
A pair of eyeglasses on an open laptop.
This is a guide about removing anti-reflective coating from glasses. When the reflective coating on your eye glasses is damaged you may need to remove it.

The anti-reflective coating on my prescription glasses is so scratched I can hardly see out of them. Occulist won't remove it and wants to charge me for new lenses! Any suggestions as to how I can remove the coating myself?

By Sourcerer from UK

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

Go to Hobby Lobby or any craft store and buy Armor Etch it's a glass etching and rub on and wash off with water. I could hardly see out of my glasses and I tried this product today and it took the coating off and they are like new glasses

Best Answer

Go to an Automotive Parts store and purchase Plastic Polish/Cleaner/Scratch Remover (several good manufacturers such as Maguiers, 3M,Mother's, Novus). Use a non-abrasive cloth and begin the hand-polishing process. It should remove the coating and minor scratches. Don't be aggressive; use a little TLC :)

Best Answer

Save yourself the time and money. I used a cheap brand of plain rubbing alcohol, soaked for about 5 minutes. Gently scrape coating off and polish with a soft cloth. Repeated by dipping cloth in RA and worked any residue off. Done in 15 minutes and they are like new

Anonymous
Best Answer

I buy inexpensive glasses online and I'm proud of it. The eyeglass industry is a racket with the way they make you get a new prescription every year whether you need it or not. "You may be going blind". No, I'm not! I'd know if I was. You just want my money. People without glasses don't have to put out $100 a year, why should I? I'll know if I need a new prescription, thank you. Online glasses solves this "tax" imposed by the eyeglass industry lobby, and I'll never go back unless I need to.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I just finished trying the tooth paste. Rubbed it on for about a minute, rinsed, they are just like new.

Best Answer

I had the same problem of broken down anti-reflective coating on my plastic lensed glasses. I has tried to remove it with my fingernails and caused scratching that made the view even more unclear. Tried a few things, but the solution was rubbing a small amount of Meguiares "Ultimate Compound" used for cutting faded car duco. Used a microfibre cloth & 5 minutes later coating and scratches removed!

Best Answer

Beware that these instructions may not work for recent models (2015+) as the surface below the coating may be uneven, and removing the coating gives an almost unusable result. (The application of the coating evens up the surface.)

Example of surface below:

Anonymous
Best Answer

I just got through with using Armour etch and it worked great, my glasses were so cloudy and foggy I couldn't use them, I was using and old pair I had, I tried the toothpaste, window cleaner, hand soap and Armour cleaned them up. I put a dab on my finger and gently rubbed front and back and got results first time, I had to do a second rub and it got the left over.

Best Answer

I have had nothing but problems with the anti-reflective coatings in terms of how long they last, even when using the correct cleaning methods - so I no longer get them.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I managed to remove all coating. The recipe:

- square glass bowl (e.g. for lasagna)

- cleaning vinegar

- sink unblocker (sodium hydroxide)

* remove if possible all plastic parts

* put the glasses in the glass bowl with vinegar, for a day

Now the coating has become brittle

* outside, put the glasses in the glass bowl with water, add the sodium hydroxide, do not inhale the poisonous vapors! Leave for a day, then clean and scratch off the coating with cottonpads

Best Answer

I used a wet dryer sheet and it worked for me

Best Answer

You can only do this if the glasses are NOT glass, and are plastic. Glass WILL etch and you won't be able to see through them. I used to do glass etching so I know what the glass etching does to real glass.

Best Answer

Best Answer

I used magic eraser and it worked! I tried everything and nothing seemed to help. Just on a last ditch effort I tried the magic eraser and was amazed.

Best Answer

I tried to remove the anti-glare coating with rubbing alcohol -- it made more scratches.

I tried to use toothpaste and an electric toothbrush -- It did nothing.

Then I remembered that my sweat had made the coating cloudy. So I made a salt solution (dissolve a teaspoon of table salt, NaCl, in a cup of water) and used the electric toothbrush. It removed the coating, but several applications were necessary to get it all. It might be a good idea to remove the lenses from the frames, if possible, (I didn't) as the salt solution may be corrosive to the frames. At a minimum thoroughly rinse the glasses.

Best Answer

I did it this way and my plastic glasses are like new:

1 - I bought a small bottle of T-Cut from an automotive store.

2 - I popped the lenses out of the frame and placed them on a saucer with a liberal amount of T-Cut on the saucer and then smeared T-Cut on both sides of the lenses

3 - I used my fingernails to scratch the lens surfaces (front and back) and as I did so the coating was removed bit-by-bit

4 - After 15 minutes of scraping on a lens, I used dishwashing liquid to clean the lens and check my progress; if I noticed that the coating remained in a given area, I made note of where it was by looking into the light and then concentrated on that area using the same technique mentioned above until all the lens coating was gone

5 - My lenses are now like new.

6 - I suspect that this technique will work with other moderately abrasive pastes like toothpaste but have not tried with any others.

NOTE: I will never buy coated lenses again!

Anonymous

I always pay for the most expensive, but unfortunately i have several times found that the optometrist only gives me the cheaper version to get a higher profit. not great long term customer service, though.

Anonymous

Sherri, the newest coatings they have are junk! Used so new glasses are needed more often I'm my opinion. So unless your office does not use the new fancy coatings you are very misinformed I had mine get destroyed twice in one year. First my mother was drying her hair and my glasses were on the sink.she thought nothing of setting dryer down for couple seconds, destroyed coating in a matter of seconds! Second time I left on my dash in car when it was 34° outside, ran into store for 15 minutes! DESTROYED the coating in 34° temperatures! Explain that........ Not to give you grief, but your wrong

Anonymous

Mine have done the same thing more than once. I Never want anti reflective coating again!

Ditto. By far the most expensive glasses I have every bought during the last 45 years. Was told that the antiglare application technology had solved previous problems so I was talked into getting it. Worst glasses I have every bought due to antiglare coating deterioration, and the blurred vision due to smudges where the coating deteriorated. Manufacture said not their problem since I waited for my next doctor appointment, which was one week beyond the two year warranty. I will never get again and so much for my thinking that the higher the price the better the quality. Seems similar to deterioration of clear coat on some manufactural cars after a few years.

I also hate my anti-reflective coating on my glasses. I do not have an answer either. I just know that next time I buy glasses, they will NOT have this coating on them!

Good luck in finding an answer. I am curious as well.

Anonymous

mine were expensive glasses. it's about at the 2 year mark that they started to be a real problem, right after the warranty ran out. And i can't afford new perscription and new glasses every 2 years.

Anonymous

Lens crafter...... Less than two years old

We got them from a top of the line optometrist and paid close to a thousand, when approached about repair or replacement they said they had never seen that and we must have done something to cause it, not covered.

Optometrist have a licence to steal! Now we find out that heat affects the coating and guess what she uses her glasses to see while baking and apparently the heat of an open oven will cause problems with the coating, how stupid of not to realize she shouldnt wear her glasses while baking. We and our extended family and close friends, last count close to 632 people, will not be using your so called proffesional optometrists for glasses any more!!

I paid $500 for my glasses and they still had this issue. Don't make assumptions.

Me, too. Scratches, holes in the coating, looks like peering through water all the time. Extremely irritating! To read, I have to look over the tops of my glasses. Looking forward to replies as to how to get this "stuff" off my glasses. Thanks for asking the question.

Rather than blame inferior materials or workmanship I see the cause of the problem as unwitting exposure to substances which harm the coating. Supermarkets , gas stations, hardware stores expose customers to all manner of toxic substances in the products that we buy.

As employees our glasses suffer the same fate again.

It is the environment.

Anonymous

Nope, had my glasses for 5 months, cleaned as directed, kept in case when not in use. I fell for the ads but from the first day they were a disappointment. There have been weird Reflections bouncing off the lenses, they say that you can still see if they're smudged, not true and worst of all they do not reduce glare significantly. My vision is much clearer without them. I'll never buy them again. Oh yeah and I have not exposed them to any rare gases or environmental strangeness, just normal life.

Well I buy my glasses from an optometrist. 500 a time. Last coatings lasted 3 years and this new pair, now barely 3 years old are following the trend. I am careful to use the cleaner supplied with the glasses and the cloth they give you but the coating just decodes to peel and crackle all at once. It's not scratching, it's the coating crazing and flaking off!

I've been wearing glasses for 48 years and I have pairs I still use from over 10 years ago with anti-glare coatings that are still fine. My last 2 pair have only lasted 2 years and the peeling starts. We are getting ripped off is what's happening.

The last two pair of lenses I bought, have had the same problem, and they were not cheap. Both were brought at the optometrist office. So, I am going back to Wal-mart and getting no coating.

what kind of toothpaste did you use please. Great tip..

Anonymous

Arm and Hammer Extreme White toothpaste

Anonymous

I didn't go cheap and both pairs did the same thing.

Thank you Sherri for telling us you work on the sellers side and 'we get what we pay for' (we obviously don't...).It seems that you desire us to pay,pay,and pay more for sub par products,a necessity to most wearers.I am happily wearing my first pair of glasses from 7th grade,circa1981 (lenses in mint condition!).My last 6 pairs of glasses were meticulously maintained, every one of them,Crizal,Zeiss,Sieko, Essilor were JUNK WITHIN A YEAR due to COATINGS THE INDUSTRY DICATES WE NEED.THEY KNOW THE PROBLEMS WITH THESE COATINGS ARE THE VERY CAUSEATION OF OUR DISSATISFACTION, HENCE REPEATED PURCHASING OF...

I got mine from lensCrafters, three months ago. And they told me I needed to buy new pair. The antiglare is coming off already. Unfortunately I did not get an extended warranty .

I've never had a problem until my most recent pair of glasses...purchased from a different optometrist - cheaper lenses than my regular opto quoted. I'm wondering if the lab applied a poorer quality coating...I had my last pair for 10 years - the glasses wore out before the coating!

Meanwhile, I'm very interested in removing it rather than spending $180 for new lenses!

I am just wondering where you people are getting your glasses from?! I work in an optometrists office and sell glasses. Years ago, with poorer quality materials, this was a problem, but with new products and technology to apply coatings, we never see this happening anymore. (there is the rare case of a bad batch, but that is very seldom)

If the glasses are new, there should be warranty against that, at least in our office, we offer a 2 year warranty with anti-glare coatings. Sometime you do get what you pay for, going cheap isn't always best. You only do have one pair of eyes!

Anonymous

I pulled my spotted plastic coating off with the strongest duck tape Lowe's had.I taped it on the front and pulled most of it off.The second try pulled all the coating off and now my glass's are very clear and without that coating.

Anonymous

I might give this a shot using toothpaste as that is also used to polish plastic

Anonymous

The product worked. Thank you,

I saved a lot of money.

Anonymous

i just used it to remove the protective coating on my glasses which are polycarbonate and reduced scratches by 90%. Armour Etch worked. caution--- DO NOT USE ON GLASS LENSES.

Anonymous

I work in an office setting and paid $550 dollars for my glasses. Only wash them with water and clean with cloths I purchased from them. Still the coating is coming off.

Anonymous

Thanks for you advice on the how to try to clean the glasses we tried it and my husband said wow it worked.

Anonymous

I did it and it works. Took over 30 minutes Depending on how severe r the scratches bUt it works!!!!

Got mine at Sears Optical and were only 5 months old when it started. They tell me it can be taken off but not by them and no warranty unless you paid extra.

I have not tried the automotive plastic cleaner, but I,m sure it would work. If you or anyone you know is planning a trip to the

United Kingdom, At any automotive of hardware store, pick up a Color Restorer called T-Cut Original. Restores tired car paint to original new look. Also great for removing Anti Reflective junk.

Dave

I purchased a prescription pair of eye glasses about 8 months back. It is a branded glass with an anti reflective coating. Now the left side lens is not clear, as the coating has developed some scratches. I want remove the total coating on both the lenses so that I can see clearly. How to do it?

By R. Srinivasan

Best Answer

Lenses coatings don't hold up for me either. If I get 2 years out of a pair of lenses I call that a success, as dirty and as scratched mine get working and be active.

It takes about 30 miniutes to remove the coating with a few cents worth of toothpaste. I've taken off the glare coating on one pair andthe scratch resistant coating on another pair using it.

I'm just glad I wasn't born in a poor and undeveloped area of the world where people don't have acces to eye care, because I can see very little without my glasses.

Maybe you should get contacts if your sigmatizm isn't off the map?

I want to know who, when buying an anti-reflective coating, if any of you were ever told that heat will destroy an anti-reflective coating? By using a hair dryer, burning a fire in the back yard, cooking where an amount of heat is dispensed when opening an oven or grill. Leaving glasses in the car, etc, etc, etc.

I was at an optical place, not where I bought my glasses, when they had asked if I wanted my glasses adjusted? I thought Oh how nice of them. In doing so, they fried (spidered) the AR coating. I went to Sam's where I had purchased them, to let them know what happened and they acted like it was common knowledge about the heat issue. I was told "Oh, yes, a hair dryer will do that" I asked where that was in my written warranty? (there wasn't a warranty given) Sam's did replace the lenses, but according to them, "we are done". So I spent $544. on a pair of high index lenses that were destroyed in three months by a professional, You get a better warranty on a 30 dollar toaster.

The point, they sell the anti-reflective coating as though it is a cosmetic add on. But in reality there is an important reason for having the anti reflective coating. First, understand that I wear -9.25 and -11.25 diopter progressive high index lenses. That's very very nearsighted. the edge of my glasses are approx 1/2" thick at the edge. An anti-reflective coating will eliminate the internal reflection of light on the outside and the inside of the lens.

A lens has four surfaces. the outside of the front, and the outside of the back of the lens. but the other two surfaces are on the inside of the lens. The inside of the lens, on the back of the front surface and the other is the front inside surface of the back of the lens.

The lenses have reflectence off all four surfaces. Ex. if you stand in front of a mirror and there is an identical mirror behind you (the reflective coating of the mirrors are facing each other) and you look ahead into the mirror, the reflection will look as though there are several mirrors in play. The same thing happens inside an optical lens. The higher the - diopter or the more nearsighted you are, the more importance of having an anti reflective coating. (it eliminates the coke-bottle effect that you see with glasses without the coating, unless you are far sighted and that's another ball game).

The major problem that I see, is that the higher the diopter, or the higher the refractive index (oops New term, refractive index- you know when you put a straw into a glass of water, or a stick into water and the stick or straw appears to bend? that appearance of the stick or straw bending is the refractive property of the water. Hence, lenses have a refractive index to them.

The higher the Refractive index the more the light bends to achieve, hopefully for a proper correction for you to see. The lenses are denoted by this number= Index of refraction. Mine are in a 1.67 index of refraction lens. I would have preferred it to have been in a 1.74.) , the need for the anti-reflective coating becomes more important to have. Not as a cosmetic ad on, but for providing a more effective lens.

We are being sold a bill of goods, that is loop- holed as a cosmetic option, where in reality it is a medical necessity. And apparently it is not for the seller of the glasses to inform you of the life style change that is going to be required of you if you want your anti-reflective coating to last for the duration of the glasses, Not the life of the prescription, but the life of the glasses. When I pay 800 dollars for glasses, they better last me 10 years. but, if you use a hair dryer, oops, too bad here go spend another 800 dollars for glasses. Not there fault.

As a tax payer, we spend millions of dollars, through educationally funded research, missile defence, Nasa, etc for optic research for the aforementioned but also for the preservation of sight and better seeing capabilities. Why can I not get the anti -reflective coating through the research performed in order to come up with the hubble telescope anti-reflective coating, or the anti-scratch that is on the scanner glass at the super market. Why are we sold inferior products for that which is a medical device and not cosmetic option/ We deserve better. We need to demand better!

I'm not sure you can remove the coating yourself without damaging the lenses. Have you contacted your optometrist for help? Mine has always been really good about fixing issues with my family's glasses and there's never been a charge (and my boys are ROUGH on their frames). They may be able to remove the coating, or it's possible that the lenses may even be under warranty, although I do remember being warned that the protective UV coatings do scratch easily - worth checking at least.

Anonymous

No I was not told any thing about damage to the coating. Got my glasses from lens crafters

Anonymous

Excellent & honest info.A very Good/accurate assessment of the !eyeglass industry

If it's only been 8 months the lenses should be under warranty and they should replace them free.

How do I remove the scratched coating from my eyeglasses?