Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Anti-Reflective Coating from Glasses

This is a guide about removing anti-reflective coating from glasses. When the reflective coating on your eye glasses is damaged you may need to remove it.

The anti-reflective coating on my prescription glasses is so scratched I can hardly see out of them. Occulist won't remove it and wants to charge me for new lenses! Any suggestions as to how I can remove the coating myself?

By Sourcerer from UK

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I have had nothing but problems with the anti-reflective coatings in terms of how long they last, even when using the correct cleaning methods - so I no longer get them.

Best Answer

Go to an Automotive Parts store and purchase Plastic Polish/Cleaner/Scratch Remover (several good manufacturers such as Maguiers, 3M,Mother's, Novus). Use a non-abrasive cloth and begin the hand-polishing process. It should remove the coating and minor scratches. Don't be aggressive; use a little TLC :)

Best Answer

I am just wondering where you people are getting your glasses from?! I work in an optometrists office and sell glasses. Years ago, with poorer quality materials, this was a problem, but with new products and technology to apply coatings, we never see this happening anymore. (there is the rare case of a bad batch, but that is very seldom)

If the glasses are new, there should be warranty against that, at least in our office, we offer a 2 year warranty with anti-glare coatings. Sometime you do get what you pay for, going cheap isn't always best. You only do have one pair of eyes!

Best Answer

Go to Hobby Lobby or any craft store and buy Armor Etch it's a glass etching and rub on and wash off with water. I could hardly see out of my glasses and I tried this product today and it took the coating off and they are like new glasses

Best Answer

I buy inexpensive glasses online and I'm proud of it. The eyeglass industry is a racket with the way they make you get a new prescription every year whether you need it or not. "You may be going blind". No, I'm not! I'd know if I was. You just want my money. People without glasses don't have to put out $100 a year, why should I? I'll know if I need a new prescription, thank you. Online glasses solves this "tax" imposed by the eyeglass industry lobby, and I'll never go back unless I need to.

Best Answer

Save yourself the time and money. I used a cheap brand of plain rubbing alcohol, soaked for about 5 minutes. Gently scrape coating off and polish with a soft cloth. Repeated by dipping cloth in RA and worked any residue off. Done in 15 minutes and they are like new

I am on my second pair of glasses where the anti-glare coating has started wearing off. This pair had a one year warranty and now that I'm past my 1 year I'm out of luck. My first pair was from Lens Crafters where I paid over $400. This pair is from Costco where they were half the price. It didn't make any difference where they were purchased, the coating just doesn't last. I'm going to try removing it completely myself before investing hundreds of dollars for a new pair, but I won't be purchasing that coating on any future glasses.

I used magic eraser and it worked! I tried everything and nothing seemed to help. Just on a last ditch effort I tried the magic eraser and was amazed.

Visionworks they only warrnt for one year ..If pay for additional warranty it's only for one year its a no win situation for consumers..

Purchased $600 glasses from LensCrafters. Having the same issue. You shouldn't be so quick to lay blame on a person who has a problem.

I purchased a prescription pair of eye glasses about 8 months back. It is a branded glass with an anti reflective coating. Now the left side lens is not clear, as the coating has developed some scratches. I want remove the total coating on both the lenses so that I can see clearly. How to do it?

By R. Srinivasan

Best Answer

Lenses coatings don't hold up for me either. If I get 2 years out of a pair of lenses I call that a success, as dirty and as scratched mine get working and be active.

It takes about 30 miniutes to remove the coating with a few cents worth of toothpaste. I've taken off the glare coating on one pair andthe scratch resistant coating on another pair using it.

I'm just glad I wasn't born in a poor and undeveloped area of the world where people don't have acces to eye care, because I can see very little without my glasses.

Maybe you should get contacts if your sigmatizm isn't off the map?

I'm not sure you can remove the coating yourself without damaging the lenses. Have you contacted your optometrist for help? Mine has always been really good about fixing issues with my family's glasses and there's never been a charge (and my boys are ROUGH on their frames). They may be able to remove the coating, or it's possible that the lenses may even be under warranty, although I do remember being warned that the protective UV coatings do scratch easily - worth checking at least.

I want to know who, when buying an anti-reflective coating, if any of you were ever told that heat will destroy an anti-reflective coating? By using a hair dryer, burning a fire in the back yard, cooking where an amount of heat is dispensed when opening an oven or grill. Leaving glasses in the car, etc, etc, etc.

I was at an optical place, not where I bought my glasses, when they had asked if I wanted my glasses adjusted? I thought Oh how nice of them. In doing so, they fried (spidered) the AR coating. I went to Sam's where I had purchased them, to let them know what happened and they acted like it was common knowledge about the heat issue. I was told "Oh, yes, a hair dryer will do that" I asked where that was in my written warranty? (there wasn't a warranty given) Sam's did replace the lenses, but according to them, "we are done". So I spent $544. on a pair of high index lenses that were destroyed in three months by a professional, You get a better warranty on a 30 dollar toaster.

The point, they sell the anti-reflective coating as though it is a cosmetic add on. But in reality there is an important reason for having the anti reflective coating. First, understand that I wear -9.25 and -11.25 diopter progressive high index lenses. That's very very nearsighted. the edge of my glasses are approx 1/2" thick at the edge. An anti-reflective coating will eliminate the internal reflection of light on the outside and the inside of the lens.

A lens has four surfaces. the outside of the front, and the outside of the back of the lens. but the other two surfaces are on the inside of the lens. The inside of the lens, on the back of the front surface and the other is the front inside surface of the back of the lens.

The lenses have reflectence off all four surfaces. Ex. if you stand in front of a mirror and there is an identical mirror behind you (the reflective coating of the mirrors are facing each other) and you look ahead into the mirror, the reflection will look as though there are several mirrors in play. The same thing happens inside an optical lens. The higher the - diopter or the more nearsighted you are, the more importance of having an anti reflective coating. (it eliminates the coke-bottle effect that you see with glasses without the coating, unless you are far sighted and that's another ball game).

The major problem that I see, is that the higher the diopter, or the higher the refractive index (oops New term, refractive index- you know when you put a straw into a glass of water, or a stick into water and the stick or straw appears to bend? that appearance of the stick or straw bending is the refractive property of the water. Hence, lenses have a refractive index to them.

The higher the Refractive index the more the light bends to achieve, hopefully for a proper correction for you to see. The lenses are denoted by this number= Index of refraction. Mine are in a 1.67 index of refraction lens. I would have preferred it to have been in a 1.74.) , the need for the anti-reflective coating becomes more important to have. Not as a cosmetic ad on, but for providing a more effective lens.

We are being sold a bill of goods, that is loop- holed as a cosmetic option, where in reality it is a medical necessity. And apparently it is not for the seller of the glasses to inform you of the life style change that is going to be required of you if you want your anti-reflective coating to last for the duration of the glasses, Not the life of the prescription, but the life of the glasses. When I pay 800 dollars for glasses, they better last me 10 years. but, if you use a hair dryer, oops, too bad here go spend another 800 dollars for glasses. Not there fault.

As a tax payer, we spend millions of dollars, through educationally funded research, missile defence, Nasa, etc for optic research for the aforementioned but also for the preservation of sight and better seeing capabilities. Why can I not get the anti -reflective coating through the research performed in order to come up with the hubble telescope anti-reflective coating, or the anti-scratch that is on the scanner glass at the super market. Why are we sold inferior products for that which is a medical device and not cosmetic option/ We deserve better. We need to demand better!

No I was not told any thing about damage to the coating. Got my glasses from lens crafters

Excellent & honest info.A very Good/accurate assessment of the !eyeglass industry

If it's only been 8 months the lenses should be under warranty and they should replace them free.

I bought my first pair of glasses with that coating on them and no one at the dr. office seems to have any answers as to why the coating is chipping off. My dr. actually looked at them like he's never witnessed anything like that in his life. These people have good game!!!!! I want to thank you all for in lighting me as to the truth because I also have high index lenses paying $500+ for them only to get my feelings hurt. After insurance I payed $440.00 for my contacts today. But before I order my glasses I will make them educate me on what to expect with a written guarantee. Thank you.

The scratch resitant coating and glare resitant coating didn't hold up very long for me. I don't plan on haveing any type of coating applied on my lenses from now on. I'd rather put up with the glare.

I polished the anti-glare coating off my newer pair, and the scratch resistaint coating off my older pair with toothpaste. The scratch resistant coating came off quicker. It took alot of hard rubbing to remove the anti-glare coating, but it eventually poliahed off.

if your not careful you can be had evey which way you turn. and we have no one but ourselves to blame. And It won't be long until our civilization will be destroyed like all the other dismal ones that thought they were cutting a big hog in the ass at everyone elses expense.

TOOTHPASTE - Only seriously scratched my lenses more. Gently massaged onto top/front & back/rear of @ lens - going circular & back-&-forth with my pointer finger.

Washed with Foaming Anti-Bact Hand Soap inbetween @ product ~

Then 'USED/TRIED' :

* Baking Soda into a paste w/ water = more scratches

* Auto Body SCRATCH COVER = NOT

* WD-40 = NOT

* Soaked in 91% Alcohol = NOT

* OFF = PERMANENTLY etched /fogged them

* ARMOR ETCH - 2 applications 5 & 15 min = NOTHING

Off to get an Eye Exam & to DISPENSARY to have new specs made 'While U Wait' = COSTLY and 24 hours unable to see.   

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesJanuary 25, 2017
Anti Virus Software Search
Anti Virus Software Information and Reviews
Adding UV Coating to Glasses
Adding UV Coating to Glasses
Woman Wearing Eyeglasses
Making Eyeglasses Scratch Resistant
Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 7:05:02 PM on 10.0.0.52 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.