Removing Anti-Reflective Coating from Glasses

The anti-reflective coating on my prescription glasses is so scratched I can hardly see out of them. Occulist won't remove it and wants to charge me for new lenses! Any suggestions as to how I can remove the coating myself?

By Sourcerer from UK

I have had nothing but problems with the anti-reflective coatings in terms of how long they last, even when using the correct cleaning methods - so I no longer get them.

Me, too. Scratches, holes in the coating, looks like peering through water all the time. Extremely irritating! To read, I have to look over the tops of my glasses. Looking forward to replies as to how to get this "stuff" off my glasses. Thanks for asking the question.

I also hate my anti-reflective coating on my glasses. I do not have an answer either. I just know that next time I buy glasses, they will NOT have this coating on them!

Good luck in finding an answer. I am curious as well.

Go to an Automotive Parts store and purchase Plastic Polish/Cleaner/Scratch Remover (several good manufacturers such as Maguiers, 3M,Mother's, Novus). Use a non-abrasive cloth and begin the hand-polishing process. It should remove the coating and minor scratches. Don't be aggressive; use a little TLC :)

I might give this a shot using toothpaste as that is also used to polish plastic

I have not tried the automotive plastic cleaner, but I,m sure it would work. If you or anyone you know is planning a trip to the

United Kingdom, At any automotive of hardware store, pick up a Color Restorer called T-Cut Original. Restores tired car paint to original new look. Also great for removing Anti Reflective junk.

Dave

Thanks so much bro, I tried this with a kitchen cleaner; just not automotive cleaners; and it's working perfectly

What cleaner did you use, pleeease!!!!

I just finished trying the tooth paste. Rubbed it on for about a minute, rinsed, they are just like new.

I've never had a problem until my most recent pair of glasses...purchased from a different optometrist - cheaper lenses than my regular opto quoted. I'm wondering if the lab applied a poorer quality coating...I had my last pair for 10 years - the glasses wore out before the coating!

Meanwhile, I'm very interested in removing it rather than spending $180 for new lenses!

I am just wondering where you people are getting your glasses from?! I work in an optometrists office and sell glasses. Years ago, with poorer quality materials, this was a problem, but with new products and technology to apply coatings, we never see this happening anymore. (there is the rare case of a bad batch, but that is very seldom)

If the glasses are new, there should be warranty against that, at least in our office, we offer a 2 year warranty with anti-glare coatings. Sometime you do get what you pay for, going cheap isn't always best. You only do have one pair of eyes!

mine were expensive glasses. it's about at the 2 year mark that they started to be a real problem, right after the warranty ran out. And i can't afford new perscription and new glasses every 2 years.

I always pay for the most expensive, but unfortunately i have several times found that the optometrist only gives me the cheaper version to get a higher profit. not great long term customer service, though.

Lens crafter...... Less than two years old

Sherri, the newest coatings they have are junk! Used so new glasses are needed more often I'm my opinion. So unless your office does not use the new fancy coatings you are very misinformed I had mine get destroyed twice in one year. First my mother was drying her hair and my glasses were on the sink.she thought nothing of setting dryer down for couple seconds, destroyed coating in a matter of seconds! Second time I left on my dash in car when it was 34° outside, ran into store for 15 minutes! DESTROYED the coating in 34° temperatures! Explain that........ Not to give you grief, but your wrong

Mine have done the same thing more than once. I Never want anti reflective coating again!

Well I buy my glasses from an optometrist. 500 a time. Last coatings lasted 3 years and this new pair, now barely 3 years old are following the trend. I am careful to use the cleaner supplied with the glasses and the cloth they give you but the coating just decodes to peel and crackle all at once. It's not scratching, it's the coating crazing and flaking off!

Got mine at Sears Optical and were only 5 months old when it started. They tell me it can be taken off but not by them and no warranty unless you paid extra.

Well my glasses are 2 yrs old and they were not cheap at all. They are Gucci and my is coming off.bits so blurry I can't even see out so that's not a true statement sorry. Gucci I have Gucci eye glasses and the coating is coming off! Just saying.

We got them from a top of the line optometrist and paid close to a thousand, when approached about repair or replacement they said they had never seen that and we must have done something to cause it, not covered.

Optometrist have a licence to steal! Now we find out that heat affects the coating and guess what she uses her glasses to see while baking and apparently the heat of an open oven will cause problems with the coating, how stupid of not to realize she shouldnt wear her glasses while baking. We and our extended family and close friends, last count close to 632 people, will not be using your so called proffesional optometrists for glasses any more!!

Ditto. By far the most expensive glasses I have every bought during the last 45 years. Was told that the antiglare application technology had solved previous problems so I was talked into getting it. Worst glasses I have every bought due to antiglare coating deterioration, and the blurred vision due to smudges where the coating deteriorated. Manufacture said not their problem since I waited for my next doctor appointment, which was one week beyond the two year warranty. I will never get again and so much for my thinking that the higher the price the better the quality. Seems similar to deterioration of clear coat on some manufactural cars after a few years.

The last two pair of lenses I bought, have had the same problem, and they were not cheap. Both were brought at the optometrist office. So, I am going back to Wal-mart and getting no coating.

I got mine at Lens Crafter. It's only 8 months. They said they can't take it off. I paid $545.00 never again will I put that cheap coating on. It's a rip off.

$700.00 from a national chain is not inexpensive...I was told it was the heat.

I got mine from America's Best -- 3 years ago. I hardly ever wear them because I prefer contacts... I recently started wearing them again and they are HORRIBLE!

I know what you mean. I left a plastic bottle in my oven, and it melted in seconds! I left my baby in the car, DESTROYED in only 15 minutes while I was shopping! Obviously it has nothing to do with my actions, so the police is wrong.

dont go to the lenscrafter again. i am the victim too

Lens Crafters also paid $700 and coating is shot over 2 yrs

Your warranty, unfortunately does not cover my lenses. I need a helpful solution to remove the coating from my glass lenses.

Mine were from LensCrafters. 3 sets of lenses in 2 years. I've cleaned them according to their own rules and recommendations. It has to be an issue of poor quality materials and/or process. My previous pair was from an optometrist's office, and I had them for 8 years with no issues.

Gucci is a frame not a lens. Ask what lens option u have. Nikon. Zeiss. Seiko. They all make lenses. Ask questions

Very aggressive. I'm guessing with a tone like that, you didn't get much help from your optometrist.

Go to Hobby Lobby or any craft store and buy Armor Etch it's a glass etching and rub on and wash off with water. I could hardly see out of my glasses and I tried this product today and it took the coating off and they are like new glasses

The product worked. Thank you,

I saved a lot of money.

i just used it to remove the protective coating on my glasses which are polycarbonate and reduced scratches by 90%. Armour Etch worked. caution--- DO NOT USE ON GLASS LENSES.

Thanks for you advice on the how to try to clean the glasses we tried it and my husband said wow it worked.

I will try it.

Rather than blame inferior materials or workmanship I see the cause of the problem as unwitting exposure to substances which harm the coating. Supermarkets , gas stations, hardware stores expose customers to all manner of toxic substances in the products that we buy.

As employees our glasses suffer the same fate again.

It is the environment.

I work in an office setting and paid $550 dollars for my glasses. Only wash them with water and clean with cloths I purchased from them. Still the coating is coming off.

Nope, had my glasses for 5 months, cleaned as directed, kept in case when not in use. I fell for the ads but from the first day they were a disappointment. There have been weird Reflections bouncing off the lenses, they say that you can still see if they're smudged, not true and worst of all they do not reduce glare significantly. My vision is much clearer without them. I'll never buy them again. Oh yeah and I have not exposed them to any rare gases or environmental strangeness, just normal life.

I've been wearing glasses for 48 years and I have pairs I still use from over 10 years ago with anti-glare coatings that are still fine. My last 2 pair have only lasted 2 years and the peeling starts. We are getting ripped off is what's happening.

I pulled my spotted plastic coating off with the strongest duck tape Lowe's had.I taped it on the front and pulled most of it off.The second try pulled all the coating off and now my glass's are very clear and without that coating.

I buy inexpensive glasses online and I'm proud of it. The eyeglass industry is a racket with the way they make you get a new prescription every year whether you need it or not. "You may be going blind". No, I'm not! I'd know if I was. You just want my money. People without glasses don't have to put out $100 a year, why should I? I'll know if I need a new prescription, thank you. Online glasses solves this "tax" imposed by the eyeglass industry lobby, and I'll never go back unless I need to.

I buy inexpensive glasses online and I'm proud of it. The eyeglass industry is a racket with the way they make you get a new prescription every year whether you need it or not. "You may be going blind". No, I'm not! I'd know if I was. You just want my money. People without glasses don't have to put out $100 a year, why should I? I'll know if I need a new prescription, thank you. Online glasses solves this "tax" imposed by the eyeglass industry lobby, and I'll never go back unless I need to. Even if I bought new glasses every time my cheap anti-glare coating wore off I'd still save money over a traditional eyecare store. I payed under $11 for my last pair and they're perfect; even stylish.

Save yourself the time and money. I used a cheap brand of plain rubbing alcohol, soaked for about 5 minutes. Gently scrape coating off and polish with a soft cloth. Repeated by dipping cloth in RA and worked any residue off. Done in 15 minutes and they are like new

I did it and it works. Took over 30 minutes Depending on how severe r the scratches bUt it works!!!!

I managed to remove all coating. The recipe:

- square glass bowl (e.g. for lasagna)

- cleaning vinegar

- sink unblocker (sodium hydroxide)

* remove if possible all plastic parts

* put the glasses in the glass bowl with vinegar, for a day

Now the coating has become brittle

* outside, put the glasses in the glass bowl with water, add the sodium hydroxide, do not inhale the poisonous vapors! Leave for a day, then clean and scratch off the coating with cottonpads

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesAugust 13, 2009
Anti Virus Software Search
Anti Virus Software Information and Reviews
Adding UV Coating to Glasses
Adding UV Coating to Glasses
Woman Wearing Eyeglasses
Making Eyeglasses Scratch Resistant
Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
🎄