Removing Anti-Reflective Coating on Plastic Lenses?

I have tried Armour Etch, 91% alcohol, car polish, furniture polish, Magic Eraser, metal polish, acetone, oven cleaner, Goo Gone, picking at the film (kind of smears it), and gasoline, and it still won't come off. I did an older pair of glasses and it came off with one coat of Etch. This won't budge. It is just sitting on the lens, not really embedded in it. I got a little to come off, but I have been working on it for 2 days. When I get a little to move, it smears it.

Best Answer

You can try using Novus or Plastix on your plastic lens. This is normally made for removing scratches on head lights but has worked great for removing the anti-reflective coating on lens.

Got some more off last night. Still some left and there is a cloud in lens exactly where the worse part was. Not where is was originally peeling. Will Plastix remove that too? Have to buy some today

Try using novus 2 found in the automotive section.Also try toothpaste I have seen people use that with success.

I forgot. I tried toothpaste too. Nothing

Try vinegar or 45 sf sunscreen

Anonymous

Remove Anti-glare Eyeglass Coating Without Scratching The Lenses, Using An Automotive Degreasing Agent

Go to an auto parts store and buy the smallest size of either "Purple Power" or Castrol Super Clean" (it's the same stuff) you can find. Walmart also usually carries it, but I'm not sure they have any small sizes.

Pop the lenses out of the frames and put them in a small dish, glass or plastic like Tupperware, front of lenses facing up.

Pour in enough of the cleaner to fully cover the lenses.

Cover the container (to contain fumes) and let the lenses soak for 12-24 hours.

After that time has elapsed, swish the lenses around in the solution, then wash them with dishwashing liquid and water.

Dry the lenses and examine them. If necessary, repeat the process.

It should not be necessary to scratch or scrape at the coating - let the cleaner do the work.

CAVEAT: This product will DEFINITELY dry out your skin, so after each handling, wash your hands thoroughly and then moisturize them thoroughly. Also the fumes will cause many people to cough, like Fantastic or Formula 409 household cleaners, only stronger, so good ventilation is strongly recommended.

We plastic car modelers use this same stuff to strip enamel paint off of the plastic car bodies without hurting the plastic. It s NOT flammable.

Home and Garden Repair Other Eye GlassesAugust 24, 2017
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Anti-Reflective-Coating-on-Plastic-Lens.html