Bedding for a Dog Kennel

What would be the best kind of bedding for an outside dog kennel? I heard somewhere not to use pine straw. Are wood chips or hay good to use?

Tag27612 from Raleigh, NC

Best Answer

This is something I did years ago after pricing doggie beds. I noticed that a lot of the upscale beds were zippered pillows filled with cedar chips. I checked one out and it had two pillows - a zippered one you could remove and wash and one sewn up that was filled with the chips. I needed a large one for my Golden Retriever and they wanted over a hundred dollars for it! Well, I made a large zippered case (I discovered later I could have bought one pretty cheap), then went to the gardening department of a big discount chain store and bought a bag of cedar chips for about 12 to 15 dollars. I stuffed the pillow. It worked great. Bugs don't like the smell of cedar I guess. It didn't take the whole bag of chips to fill the pillow. I discovered when I took the pillow off to wash it, "Heidi" was just as happy to sleep right on the chips. The one bag lasted over a couple of years. I kept the pillow because I didn't like combing the chips out of her. I adopt older dogs that owners get tired of and have had three dogs who love this arrangement. And I have never found bugs or other creepy, crawly things in the bedding!

Best Answer

I use a baby crib mattress with a waterproof mattress cover and baby crib sheets. This way I can change it whenever and it stays clean. Also it's better than any dog bed. Ever laid down on a dog pillow or bed. It's terrible!

We use cedar chips because they are good to keep the fleas & ticks away.

Marla - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions.

Please don't use hay for bedding for dogs. I used to use it all of the time until one of my dogs started to eat it. The hay started to get stuck between his teeth and the gums. I didn't realize this was happening and it became infected. I will spare you the gorry details but he ended up having surgery to get the infection out. My vet told me to use straw or shredded paper.

cedar chips is highly recommended because it repels insects like fleas and ticks. Just as Mollie said, you can make your own instead of paying a hundred dollars for one. I can't believe the prices of dog bedding! I have an extra large bed for one of my dogs and paid $90.00 for it at Petsmart last year. The cover is wearing out and I have searched the Internet including Petsmart to find a new one but I haven't found one yet. I'm not much of a seamstress so I will keep looking. I tell you, if you know how to sew, you could make a fortune making dog beds. The foam isn't expensive and I'm sure you could find remnants of material for a good price. Instead of a zipper, I think I would use velcro. Seems like it would be easier to sew it in the fabric than a zipper.

When making your own dog kennel bedding filled with cedar chips, what type of fabric do you use? Would denim work?

I just put up a 10 X 10 run and was going to use cedar mulch for a base, any thoughts?

don't use cedar. It can lead to blindness over time and is not recommended for dog bedding for that reason.

A small dog in a kennel.
Bedding Ideas for Dog Kennels
Pets DogsJune 24, 2006
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Woman Storing Bedding in Linen Closet
Storing Bedding
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding