Mold In a Popup Camper

I would like to know how to take mould out of tent trailer canvas.

By Gene from Canada

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

July 10, 2011 Flag

We just opened up our hardtop trailer and found mold on the curtains, canvas, and hard ceiling. Why is this, and how do we get rid of it and keep it away? Please help.

By Chamberland from Belleville, Ontario

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi there,

Use white vinigar, spray it on and then wipe or scrub. it works and is saver then bleach. With the curtains I would soak them in water and vinigar.

Good luck. Manny from Aussieland

Is it mold or mildew? Mildew is black and is like black dots and looks like a stain. Sometimes it just washes out of curtains and things. Mold is usually white and fuzzy, and is thick, think mold on an orange. Your camper was likely put away damp. Mold and mildew grow in dampness. If it was dry, it would not develop this.

After you have washed it, with or without bleach. I would use some bleach, you should park it in the sun, and let the sun have it for a couple of days, air out the bleach, and kill any other mildew/mold spores.

If you're going to use bleach to remove the mildew stains you need to nake sure you can complete rinse all bleach residue off or the canvas could deteriorate & start to fall. The owner's manual to our Starcraft suggest bleach but I don't see how I could thoroughly rinse it out when the affected areas are attached to the ends of the beds & are over the kitchen pullout. Other site recommend hydrogen peroxide some straight others in a 50/50 solution with water while others recommend rubbing alcohol. I think I am going to give peroxide a try on ours.

From anything I've read, you should not use bleach. It is harsh and can cause damage. Apparently, Lemon Mold and Mildew Cleaner is great from Bass Pro Shops.

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2010 Flag

I have a popup camper that has been closed up for a while and after opening it up I see lots of mold and mildew on the canvas. It is a newer camper with the blue and white canvas, I want to clean it up and need help in finding the right cleaner to make it look nice again.

Thank you for your time!
Max from Bent Mountain, VA

Answers:

Mold In a Popup Camper

Hello, Max, from a fellow pop up camper owner. First of all, you don't mention the brand of pop up camper you have, but generally you want to be "very" careful about what you clean your canvas with. Any type of bleach and/or strong cleansers can seriously damage the water proofing of your pop up's canvas, thus potentially causing some very wet camping experiences. From what I have learned, most manufacturers recommend a solution of very mild soap and water. The best thing to do would be to check in your owner's manual or call the manufacturer directly.

In the future, the best way to prevent mold or mildew, as you probably already know is to make sure your pop up's canvas is completely dry before closing it up. Also, I believe there are some products that you can buy to place in your camper when you're not using it that will also help reduce the risk of mold and mildew, such as Sta-Dri which can be found at RV supply stores.

Here are a couple of links to some great sites with very good info especially for pop up campers:

travelswise.com/ and
popupexplorer.com .

Good luck and happy camping!

Michelle (03/05/2006)

By TxSavr

Mold In a Popup Camper

I had the same problem and I used a solution of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol. It looks like new. (08/01/2007)

By Amy

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use a warm water and Ivory soap solution on the canvas. Seems to work very well.

(10/11/2007)

By Brian

Mold In a Popup Camper

I use "Microband". It cleans and keeps it off and very safe. Just google it. (01/20/2008)

By rhollister

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldJuly 16, 2010
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:22:38 AM on 10.0.1.91 in 785 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.