I would like to know how to take mould out of tent trailer canvas.
By Gene from Canada
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
We just opened up our hardtop trailer and found mold on the curtains, canvas, and hard ceiling. Why is this, and how do we get rid of it and keep it away? Please help.
By Chamberland from Belleville, Ontario
The mold is due to a moisture problem somewhere, a leak, or even just interior condensation.
I always clean and treat mold with a bleach and water mixture. You need to wear gloves if applying it with a sponge, or get a cheap sponge mop, and just mop a light coating, and leave it to dry, just keep the windows open, and you may want to wear a mask while you are in there.
Use white vinigar, spray it on and then wipe or scrub. it works and is saver then bleach. With the curtains I would soak them in water and vinigar.
Good luck. Manny from Aussieland
Is it mold or mildew? Mildew is black and is like black dots and looks like a stain. Sometimes it just washes out of curtains and things. Mold is usually white and fuzzy, and is thick, think mold on an orange. Your camper was likely put away damp. Mold and mildew grow in dampness. If it was dry, it would not develop this.
After you have washed it, with or without bleach. I would use some bleach, you should park it in the sun, and let the sun have it for a couple of days, air out the bleach, and kill any other mildew/mold spores.
If you're going to use bleach to remove the mildew stains you need to nake sure you can complete rinse all bleach residue off or the canvas could deteriorate & start to fall. The owner's manual to our Starcraft suggest bleach but I don't see how I could thoroughly rinse it out when the affected areas are attached to the ends of the beds & are over the kitchen pullout. Other site recommend hydrogen peroxide some straight others in a 50/50 solution with water while others recommend rubbing alcohol. I think I am going to give peroxide a try on ours.
From anything I've read, you should not use bleach. It is harsh and can cause damage. Apparently, Lemon Mold and Mildew Cleaner is great from Bass Pro Shops.
I have a popup camper that has been closed up for a while and after opening it up I see lots of mold and mildew on the canvas. It is a newer camper with the blue and white canvas, I want to clean it up and need help in finding the right cleaner to make it look nice again.
Thank you for your time!
Max from Bent Mountain, VA
Hello, Max, from a fellow pop up camper owner. First of all, you don't mention the brand of pop up camper you have, but generally you want to be "very" careful about what you clean your canvas with. Any type of bleach and/or strong cleansers can seriously damage the water proofing of your pop up's canvas, thus potentially causing some very wet camping experiences. From what I have learned, most manufacturers recommend a solution of very mild soap and water. The best thing to do would be to check in your owner's manual or call the manufacturer directly.
In the future, the best way to prevent mold or mildew, as you probably already know is to make sure your pop up's canvas is completely dry before closing it up. Also, I believe there are some products that you can buy to place in your camper when you're not using it that will also help reduce the risk of mold and mildew, such as Sta-Dri which can be found at RV supply stores.
Here are a couple of links to some great sites with very good info especially for pop up campers:
Good luck and happy camping!
I had the same problem and I used a solution of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol. It looks like new. (08/01/2007)
I use a warm water and Ivory soap solution on the canvas. Seems to work very well.
I use "Microband". It cleans and keeps it off and very safe. Just google it. (01/20/2008)
I have heard White vinegar works, also to prevent mold etc we put a couple of pots of Damprid in camper over the colder months and check it every couple of months, also we have installed a Solar powered fan on our roof of camper which helps also.