Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Recipes for a Diabetic Person

What are good recipes for people who are diabetic?

By sweetpeadtg

By Laurie [5]08/16/2009

I have been a diabetic for 3 years now, at first I tried the recipes for diabetics, boy did I learn real fast that diet foods were expensive. I use cake mixes and use egg whites for whole eggs and applesauce for the oil. They come out nice and taste just like the regular. I also cut my dinner plate down to a salad size and eat regular foods, but don't use salt. You can use herbs for other flavors. Just cut down on your food portion. My A1C is 5.9 which my doctor says keep up the good work. You can have fruits and vegetables too. I also eat wheat bread, look at the ingredients on the bread, if the first ingredient says whole wheat, get that, if it doesn't, its not really whole wheat. I also use splenda, but you can use stevia too. Hope this helps.

By elva [1]08/15/2009

Diabetic food or sugar-free food are very expensive to buy. And the food tastes awful.

By elva [1]08/15/2009

You really don't have to have anything special because you are a diabetic. Just watch your salt and sugar intake. Just remember portion size. Pass up on double portion. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. I have been a Type II diabetic going on 17 years. I use sweet & low, and I drink diet cola in moderation, ( may be 2 or 3 a week). I drink Rum and coke about twice a week! I am the only diabetic in my household. 5 kids and a husband and neither are diabetics. I cook regular meals. I seldom use salt, and my family never complaints. But when other relatives visit they always load their plates up with salt or hot sauce when they eat at my house! I cook cake using diet soda drinks. If you want the recipes e-mail me at sickandsexy AT aol.com. I, also eat a lot of wheat bread, oatmeal, and whole-grain cereals. I don't buy white bread.

By Karen [19]08/13/2009

I use the website dlife.com. They have some pretty amazing recipes there for diabetics. Especially try the banana split cake. Out of this world!

By merlene smith [4]08/12/2009

If you join Yahoo groups there is a diabetic recipe group. They send recipes almost daily.

notify-dg-Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends@yahoogroups.com,

Here are questions related to Recipes for a Diabetic Person.

Question: Diabetic Recipes for Picky Eaters

I just found out a few weeks ago that my blood sugar was a little high. I had gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy and have family members with type-2 diabetes as well. I want to start eating healthier, but we are a family of picky eaters that love our carbs! I don't want my family to suffer because of my bad decisions. I also don't want them to think that I'm taking away most of the foods that they like.

My biggest problem is breakfasts, but other recipes would be greatly appreciated too. Most like eggs, but some don't. I personally can't handle anything (even slightly) spicy (bell peppers will set my tongue on fire), very few of us will eat many veggies at all. Please help me!

By Momma Ruby from KY

Most Recent Answer

By Mary R.11/19/2012

First don't be discouraged a lot of people have diet issues. Instead change your mindset being healthier is not about giving up what you love no its about being aware & moving forward. To help out there are some great websites that can help you with creative ideas that the whole family can get excited about.
better eats / recipe rehab
spark people
live better america
diabetes.org/myfoodadvisor
southern fried fitness

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

Looking for recipes of all kinds for a diabetic person. Thanks.

Janet from WI

RE: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

You can also use recipes or cook your own dinner instead of eating out or eating fatty foods. It's just how healthy anyone eats. My dad is diabetic. If you like fish, soup, and all the home made food it's all good. (09/29/2007)

By ramona I

RE: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

splenda.com has a lot of great recipes. Did you check the American Diabetes Association website, they should also have lots of info and/or recipes. (09/29/2007)

By teddygirl

RE: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

As a type II diabetic, I have the most fun just adapting my favourites to lower fat, salt and sugar. Many recipes can have the sugar reduced by up to half without obvious effect. Use canola oil instead of butter or margarine where you can and often. I find you can leave most or all of the salt out entirely (except for yeast breads). Make it as high fibre as you can, that new Robin Hood Nutri Flour is great, it is high fiber without being obviously so. They must use it in the new Wonder bread white products I think.

Try your local library too, they will be sure to have or can get that kind of thing for u. Search "Canadian Diabetic Association" they have a great resource on computer. (10/02/2007)

By thriftmeg

RE: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

RE: Recipes for a Diabetic Person

Lentil Chicken Crock pot Stew

• 1 small bag lentils
  • 6 or 7 chicken thighs
  • 1 small onion diced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Add water to just cover everything. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Serve over cooked pasta or rice. (10/02/2007)

By fab4mom