Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing

Underarm sweat stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing underarm sweat stains from clothing.

Filter Sort

Tip: Use Aspirin In Laundry For Underarm Stains

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936

I've seen several requests recently regarding removing those ugly yellow sweat stains from clothing. I heard this tip this morning and thought it might help someone.

Use one plain, regular-strength, crushed aspirin per half cup of hot water. Dissolve the aspirin in the water. Soak clothes in this for a couple of hours and wash as usual. The stains should be gone.

Source: "The CBS Early Show, this morning's tip segment.

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Aspirin Paste for Antiperspirant Stains

By pam munro 522 790

A paste of aspirin will work to get rid of yellow antiperspirant stains (and other protein-based stains). This is in addition to the age-old white vinegar/meat tenderizer remedies.

Source: http://www.instructables.com

By pamphyila from LA, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Perspiration Stains on White T-shirts

By nikki 1

What will get sweat stains off of white shirts and t-shirts. My partner's clothes always stain under the arms. We have tried using different deodorants, but they still appear. I have tried things like Vanish, etc. what works the best so far is Shout spray and Ace bleach, but they are still visible. Any help will be appreciated.

By nikkib763 from UK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By marsha 2 Flag

Get a small spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar to keep by the washer. Spray the perspiration stains and wash as usual. Vinegar is also good if you have purchase a clothing item that the dye has an odor to it that will not wash out. Just either hand wash the item in vinegar and regular detergent (let the article soak for a while) or launder by itself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Laundry Advice For Active Teens

My teenage sons are very active. Consequently, their shirts have an odor and perspiration stains even after laundering. They take showers everyday and use a deodorant but they still perspire. Does anyone have any solutions to my problem. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have to get the stains out of their clothes.

Maria

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

i think baking soda added to your washing, takes out odors, it may remove the stained spots too. I used 1/2 to 1 cup, plus i used my Ariel powder laundry soap along with it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How to Remove Underarm Sweat Stains from Light Clothing?

By Sheila 1

I have these dark stains in the underarm section of my white/bone blouses and shirts. The blouses are white and the long sleeve shirt is a Lycra knit. How do remove the stains? I have tried Oxiclean in my HE machine, but it did not work. Thank you.

By Sheila from So. Hadley, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Wisgal 8 271 Flag

Try Hydrogen Peroxide. My daughter just told me yesterday how well this works. We had a water spot on a tile ceiling once, and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide, and it removed the stain.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Underarm Stains on White and Colored Clothing

By robin 3

How to get underarm stains from both black and white t-shirts?

By Robin from Pocono mountains, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pam Griffis 10 102 Flag

I tried a rememdy recommended by a previous post and it worked great on whites. I don't know about colors, though. For the whites, mix a couple of scoups of "Oxi-Clean" with hot water in a sink, etc. Add clothing and let set over night. Launder as usual. It removerd old set in persperation stains. I also tried it on old, set-in blood stains and it removed 95% of therm.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Yellow Underarm Stains on White Clothing

By Thea 1

What is the best solution for old underarm stains? They are mostly on the white colors. They are all yellow, both under the arm and on the collar.

By Thea from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Brent 1 3 Flag

Sorry, aspirin and water. I reread it and it appeared to be unclear.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Aspirin for Sweat Stains

By Nancy 4 2

Make a paste of the cheapest aspirin you can find and grind into a powderish consistency. Then mix with water to form a thick paste. Spread paste over stain and rub in. Can use an old toothbrush or battery stain brush to rub paste into stain. Let sit 60-90 minutes and then wash as you would normally, in cold water.

When removed from washer; magic, no stain! No stain even if you have tried other methods and stain is old. If it is a really stubborn stain, repeat procedure. I have never had to do it more than twice to a really nasty stain.

By Nancy from Wilmington, DE

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

By Harriet 4 1

I need a perspiration smell/stain remover. The smell stays even after washing.

By Harriet from TX

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By lora 5 Flag

Try using lemon scented ammonia in the rinse about a cup should do it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Underarm Stains on Tank Tops

How do I get underarm stains off of my white tank tops?

Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr436488 Flag

Try soaking it in a mixture of Oxy Clean, baking soda and water before laundering.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Underarm Stains on Evening Dress

I have an evening special occasional dress. The color is a light brown with silver sparkle throughout. It's a JR Nites by Carol Lin. I wore it once for a wedding, and it was a very hot day. The sweat and deodorant made the color change in spots to a reddish color in multiple areas on dress. I washed it in Woollite and also an oxi-type laundry detergent and hung it to dry. The spots did not change. Any suggestions to save the garment?

By Donna from Parma, Ohio

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: How to Remove Underarm Sweat Stains from Light Clothing?

I have a white t-shirt with sweat stains under the arms. No amount of soaking or washing seems to fix the problem. The shirt is still in good condition so I would really appreciate any advice.

Tiffany from Adelaide, AU

Feedback:

RE: How to Remove Underarm Sweat Stains from Light Clothing?

I use "Zout Oxy" (laundry isle in your grocery store) just spray it on and leave it there for about 5-10 min and then wash the blouse with the rest of your laundry. Works for me. (09/25/2004)

By Alice

Pour plain white vinegar over the stained areas and let it set for 30 minutes to an hour before washing. Much better on the material than bleach, which can be used occasionally if needed. I've used vinegar on my white uniforms with no problem. (09/27/2004)

By DL1052MCD

Oxi Clean has been a miraculous cleaner for me. It removes about 99% of the stains that my family creates on its clothes (incl. baby stains). I put 6 of their pre-measured cups in the laundry and let it run for a while. Then I stop the washer and let the load soak overnight. The next day I run the laundry as usual and add detergent. Almost all the stains are removed this way. Give it a try. (09/27/2004)

By JOJ

Make a paste out of baking soda and water and use a brush to rub it in. Let set for 30 minutes, then launder. (09/27/2004)

By Sharon

This may not be the "thrifty" solution, but take it to your local dry cleaner. I am constantly amazed at the different types of stains he can get out of clothing. It does help if you know the origin of the stain so he can decide which chemicals to use. When my three year old apparently slipped a blue crayon into the pocket of a nearly new shirt, I thought the whole load of laundry was gone, but my cleaner worked with it and got out all of the blue stains. It sure beats having to throw out those clothes. (09/28/2004)

By goodkelly

I read somewhere to put meat tenderizer and water, scrub it and let it sit for a few minutes. Then put through the wash. (10/13/2004)

By Amy

Use Tom's of Maine deodorant. Stains will "not" appear. (07/13/2005)

By Guest

I had a huge collection of otherwise good white cotton/cotton-blend t-shirts and cotton dress shirts, save for underarm stains. I couldn't afford to replace them. I found this recipe online, with a few variations of my own:

• 1 cup powdered Clorox 2 or similar product
  • 1 cup Cascade dishwashing detergent
  • 1 cup Calgon water softening powder (I used the liquid version of the same product)

I suggest you try this method late afternoon. The clothes need to soak overnight.

Use a clean tub or bucket. Place ingredients into tub or bucket and pour boiled, filtered water and very, very hot tap water. Wearing gloves, swish the water around until the ingredients dissolve (as much as possible). Plunge your white shirts into the tub or bucket and (remember your rubber gloves) agitate the water a bit with the clothes. Let sit for a couple of hours. Next, take dry baking soda and work into the yellow stains while they are still soaking. Add extra baking soda to the tub. If the stains are extremely bad, add a bit more Cascade and agitate again. Let sit.

Check on the tub from time to time during the evening. I kept using more baking soda on the underarms and I also kept "refreshing" the filtered/boiled water and extra hot tap water. Before you go to bed, refresh the water again, and if you like, the ingredients as well. (This is what I did.) The next morning, wring out the clothes and launder them in the hottest water you think is safe. I do my wash at the local Laundromat and even though clothes called for cold water I used hot. I also made a paste of baking soda and water and rubbed into underarms before the machine-wash. (What did I have to lose?) I let them air dry in my apt. Amazingly, the stains were gone. I took them outside and looked in bright sunlight, not a trace of yellow.

I am going to machine wash them again just to be sure; I've learned to add Borax and baking soda to my regular detergent to boost the cleaning power. I'm soaking my boyfriend's really yellow, old white t-shirts now and a few old white shirts I forgot about and they already are starting to look whiter/less yellow. Really, this is a great method. Also, I've given up deodorant. I use a cornstarch/baking soda powder recipe I found online. I also put a bit of white vinegar and baking soda on my white shirts after I wear them, just to be sure.

Good luck.

(08/02/2005)

By NewYorkParis

Make a paste out of ammonia and color safe bleach, allow to set on the stain, then throw it into the wash. Do not use with chlorine bleach.

Comment from Reader This one scares me just because if someone misses the part about "color safe" on the bleach, and uses normal chlorine bleach, this creates a poisonous gas when mixed with ammonia. Diane (09/27/2006)

By Kasey

I have found Napisan to be a wonderful solution. Simply create a paste with Napisan and water. Coat the stains and soak in hot water overnight. Throw shirts in the washing machine. If stains are stubborn, repeat process. It works with a light coloured clothing as well. (11/30/2006)

By Samantha D.

Try Spray n' Wash stain stick, it works on light and dark colored clothing, I've been getting these stains for years and this works every single time, even on stains that have been there for months and months. (12/14/2006)

By anonymous

The following method works great for me but you must use all the protective measures associated with using any paint removers.)

Use a can of spray paint remover to spray underarms of white t-shirts that are caked with an accumulation of deodorant. Let the shirts soak for about 30 to 60 minutes. Spray on more paint remover if necessary to keep the underarm cloth moist. Brush both sides of the fabric with a soft brush to loosen the caked-on deodorant. Rinse with warm water then wash in the normal way.
(02/03/2007)

By Fred

I have a favorite white t-shirt that had some pretty gnarly pit stains. I usually end up throwing out white shirts after only a few months. I didn't want to throw this shirt out and my grandma told me to use a toothbrush and some baking soda on the pits and then wash it in the dishwasher using regular dishwashing detergent. It worked. (02/22/2007)

By Scott

I leave the shirt in the hot sun and it bleaches the stain out after a couple of days. (02/22/2007)

By jomac30

The yellowing isn't from deodorant. It's sweat. Much like the same stains that occur on guys hats in the summer. The deodorant doesn't make a difference.
(03/01/2007)

By Jenni

Baby Aspirin crushed up to a paste, mixed with some water, soak just the dis-colored area overnight then wash as normal. I got this from a book that was written in the 40's, for housewives, and is full of all sorts of "know-how" when it comes to stain removal or cleaning things.

I have tried the Aspirin method and if stain is stubborn on white cotton, repeats soaking is necessary. If the material is durable, you can use a toothbrush and gently rub the stain. If the material is a soft cotton, be cautious of destroying the area if rubbed too much.

Editor's Note: Today's baby aspirin has color and flavoring in it. Try using a quarter of a regular aspirin for this. (04/24/2007)

By Botilla

I had this and soaked T-shirt in hottest water for two days using the thickest dissolvable mixture of Sard Oxy Plus then washed it. All the stains were gone. Hurrah. (05/12/2007)

By Zoe

I just recently solved this problem for myself. I've had a white blouse that I hadn't worn in about a year because of the stains, but I used "Awesome" on the areas and it worked. This product is used for many stain removal problems, but is recommended to dilute with most.

You can buy "Awesome" undiluted in spray bottles at many stores. I buy mine at The Dollar Tree. Just spray a couple of shots on the stains, let it stand for about ten minutes, and then wash as the clothing tag suggests. *NOTE - If you're quite unsure of how your fabric may react, (mine is 100% cotton) you may want to dilute with a little water to be safe. If you need a stronger amount, you can repeat the process and add more.

Drying white clothes in the dryer often cause sweat stains to become set in. Someone posted about the sunlight drawing out the stains. Yes, I agree. My mother told me about that years ago. Great tip. (06/07/2007)

By LM.Bama

I've tried just about everything and then I wandered onto this forum. Someone posted something about the yellow stains being caused by protein in the sweat, which makes a lot of sense. Someone else suggested meat tenderizer, there's no way I'm putting that stuff on my fave t-shirt so I tried contact lens solution, the kind that removes protein build up, and it worked very well. (07/03/2007)

By Nicole

I didn't know that so many people are going through this. Well, I purchased this bottle of Greased Lightning Multi-Purpose Cleaner and degreaser from Walmart. I started reading the instructions on the back and found out that it could also be used to get stains out of clothes. I tried it and it really worked very well. The yellow underarm stains are gone from my daughter's white shirt. (07/15/2007)

By Pat

I just fond this discussion and decided to experiment with some of my favorite (but stained) white shirts. To my amazement, a paste made of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda worked wonders. These were old stains, from years ago and they vanished after being soaked for only 10 minutes. I let them soak more after to be sure, but it really, really worked. (09/03/2007)

By Quinn

Try a regular bar of Ivory soap, it cleans all stubborn stains. Scrub the area with the soap and rinse with cool water. Then wash as you regularly do. It works for me. (10/12/2007)

By guest

On white clothes only, apply a nickel size drop of liquid dishwasher detergent, rub and then wash as usual. I usually wash twice. Liquid dishwasher detergent seems to have a huge bleaching and cleaning effect. It does bleach out the color, as well as clean out that "crunchy" stuff. It works for baby food stains, dingy socks, kids sneakers, etc. as long as they are white. (01/20/2008)

By mom of 2

Folks, Oxi Clean is a scam. It is nothing more than an agent that releases hydrogen peroxide into water, just look up Oxi CLean in Wikipedia. Then Google "oxi clean" and "hydrogen peroxide" on a bunch of equivalent recipes that cost less than dime a dozen. Example of recipe with the same (or better) effect than Oxi Clean (if you believe Chemistry 101 class, of course):

• 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide
  • 1 teaspoon of ammonia
  • Use within 1/2 hour of mixing. Solution is no good after that.
Dab the mixture onto the stain. Take white paper towel (do not use a paper towel with a colored design) and place the paper towel over the stain. Weigh it down with something. Leave for 2 to 3 hours. Lift, and the stain will be gone. Don't encourage infomercial scumbags, they are scoundrels who hold you for idiots, don't you know this by now. (02/10/2008)

By Basil

• Fabric: 100% cotton - baking soda and hydrogen peroxide removes up to 100% of stain.
  • Knits and mixed fabric - Cascade up to 100%. Cascade contains phosphorus, a substance banned from laundry detergent in the 70's because of water pollution. Use wisely. (04/10/2008)

By Ronie

There is a product that is used for carpet cleaning, but it works great for stain removal on clothes. "It's Incredible" is distributed by Bestway Products www.bestwayproducts.net. I have used it for the past ten years for both stain removal on carpets as well as on clothes. You put just enough solution on the stain to saturate it. I usually allow it to sit for 2 - 3 minutes then under warm water scrub the stain by rubbing the fabric together. Make sure the solution has been completely rinsed out. If the stain has been in the clothes for a while you may have to repeat this step.

After that, you can either launder immediately or let it dry and add to the a load of laundry the next time you wash clothes. The best part is this is a non-bleach product so it can cautiously be used on colors as well. Always spot test first. I usually wear latex gloves when I use this product, just to ensure that I don't absorb it through the skin. It's great for getting out ink stains on clothes as well. (07/15/2008)

By Leah

Not sure if this is thrifty, but it is fun. Buy some of the new Spray N Wash - Dual Power, rub it into the pits and launder as normal. Dual power is a combined oxi-clean stuff and another stain remover. Takes a few cycles with the stain remover and laundering, but the stains are definitely gone. I did mostly shirts that were light to medium colored (not white) with caked on deodorant. Let me know what you guys think. I've been trying different stuff for a long time now and this is relatively effortless and seems to be doing the trick. It is probably better to regularly use this with clothes to keep the stains from setting in the first place. (07/24/2008)

By barnacle

I would really like to try the 1:1:1 ratio of peroxide, baking soda, and hot water but how much of each do you do. I just don't see any specific instructions?

Editor's Note: This means equal parts of each, so 1 cup peroxide, 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup hot water or 1 tsp. peroxide, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. hot water or an other amounts you will need. (09/12/2008)

By Danielle

A lot of people are talking about stopping sweating being bad for your body. That is rubbish and bad science. Sweating is not your bodies natural way of releasing toxins. That is the function of you liver, kidneys, lungs and the rest of your excretory system. The fact is that sweating, while it does release traces of toxins in your system, is for the purpose of cooling.

The water in sweat evaporates taking heat with it and what is left is mineral deposits and, if you are not wearing deodorant, bacteria that cause odor. This is why you need to drink more than just water to rehydrate. Drinking more water reduces the concentration of these minerals and thus is the reason why heavy consumers of water don't seem to get pit stains.

As far as removing them, because they are just mineral deposits natural things you would use on hard water stains, ie. baking powder, vinegar, peroxide and water mix or even oxy clean would be effective (obviously do not use harsh chemicals designed merely for hard water stains or calcification). Good luck. (01/11/2009)

By Ben

I read in a magazine that Madonna uses Vodka to remove the sweat stains from her stage clothes. I haven't tried it yet. My mother says that if you wet your shirt and sprinkle salt on your pit stains and let it sit over night, that helps significantly before washing. (01/22/2009)

By Jami

A capful of bleach and scrubbing it in with baking soda seems to have worked well for me. (02/28/2009)

By Holly

Mike Thomas of Proctor and Gamble says in an interview with SweatSolutions, "People assume that sweat causes underarm stains, but you wouldn't have stains if it weren't for your antiperspirant. Antiperspirants are very acidic and it's that acidity that causes the colors on your clothes to shift." Antiperspirant products that come in roll-on or gel forms, adds Thomas, tend to cause more severe staining. Gels and roll-ons are more watery and therefore get onto clothing more easily, leading to more color changes in the fabric.

He recommends simply rinsing the affected fabric with cold water before washing, as warm or hot water can "set" them by causing a chemical reaction that binds the stain to the fabric. Pretreating with a stain remover can also make the situation worse.

In regard to antiperspirants being unhealthy, yes, the body does find other ways to expel toxins, but the aluminum which antiperspirants rely on is a known toxin which can accumulate in the brain. Google "aluminum toxicity" for comprehensive views of symptoms and sources of aluminum contamination in the diet. (06/16/2009)

By Liz H.

Archive: Perspiration Stains on White T-shirts

I am looking for tips for removing perspiration stains from white t-shirts.

Carol from Buffalo, NY

Feedback:

RE: Perspiration Stains on White T-shirts

Have you tried using automatic dishwashing detergent? I use the liquid kind and put it on full strength for stubborn stains, let sit for a while before washing, can also rub it in. It doesn't bleach out the color on colored clothing like regular bleach. (06/29/2006)

By Anna from ME

My husband's shirts are pretty white, but the underarms are not. These are not new shirts, but are in good condition. They are a poly cotton blend. I usually use ammonia in the laundry so the fabric does not get destroyed. And not at the same time, occasionally bleach.

By savtajon from Cleveland

Feedback:

I was just talking about this the other day. Try lemon juice and sunlight. It may take more than one application.
Good luck. (06/20/2009)

By 2oma

My daughter has had dark sweat stains on her light colored shirts for years. I have tried bleach, spraying with bleach, Spray and Wash, and vinegar. Yesterday we tried the paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. It worked a little, but was still very visible.

I then tried rubbing with Cascade granular dishwashing detergent. It came out. Just to make sure it wasn't a combination of what I had been using, I got another one of her shirts and used just Cascade. Worked there again. Took some scrubbing on both, but I am so excited that we figured out a way to get rid of her sweat stains. (07/23/2009)

By kmbeck777

Also, it will help if you stop using the solid / stick-type underarm deodorants. They contain waxes and oils that rub into your clothing and bind with the threads. I looked at two different stick brands and both contained castor oil, which is well-known to permanently stain clothing.
(08/20/2009)

By mark.eting

Archive: Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

My husband gets sweat stains on the armpits of his shirts. I have tried different detergents, soaking the shirts with many different "solutions" with no fix.

Also, some times the odor stays with the shirt and after the shirt has been worn for awhile there seems to be a deodorant residue that stays with the shirt and gets all crusty. Please help I am embarrassed for him.

By Alyssa from Casper, WY

Feedback:

RE: Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

Take Clorox II powder and mix it with ammonia to make a thick paste and place on the armpits of the shirt and let it stay on there for 1/2 hour and then wash as usual. It the stains are really bad it may take more than one time. To get the bad smell out of your clothes toss in a cup of apple cider vinegar at the beginning of the wash and it will take out any smell. (03/03/2010)

By Deeshep

Add a cup of baking soda in addition to laundry soap to your regular washing cycle that should help. I do this on a regular basis for any smelly laundry and it always smells so clean afterward. (03/03/2010)

By wyomingal

I noticed when my husband bought a different deodorant/antiperspirant is when his shirts started to stain. I would suggest he try a different brand and make sure that he waits til it completely dries before dressing.

That said; to remove odors and most stains, I soak in white vinegar and it works for nearly everything.

What I did the first time I tried this method, I used warm water and about a cup of white vinegar in a prewash. I let the machine fill up and swished the clothes around until they were all wet, then I stopped the cycle and let them soak for 30 minutes. Then let it finish the prewash and wash as usual.

Now I add a little white vinegar to the rinse cycle every time, but just a splash.
White vinegar gets rid of odors and does not leave any adverse scent. (03/03/2010)

By dvg

Is it possible to remove sweat stains from whites that are old?

By kateh09

Feedback:

I had this problem this week on a white evening gown. I put white vinegar on it and put it in the sun for a few days. Do this every day till the stain is gone; it works. Good luck. (09/30/2009)

By kffrmw88

You can use vinegar as above for some sweat stains and after rinsing. Try an application of hydrogen peroxide plus the heat of an iron, or even while wet use a cotton swab dabbed in bleach on the wet stain until the stain is gone. (09/30/2009)

By pamphyila

I swear by Yellow Out. It is available in Canada and the USA. In the US you will find it at Ace hardware, and Walmart. You can also check out on the internet where to find it in your area. (10/01/2009)

By hedera

I read somewhere to try baking soda.

This link lists 75 uses for it and it's cheap.

http://lifehackery.com/2008/07/22/home-4/

If you Google "baking soda uses" there are other uses not listed on the link. (10/01/2009)

By melody_yesterday

My aunt use to use baking soda and peroxide. She made them into a paste and scrubbed into the area and let set for 30 minutes then washed as normal. This worked well back when we were waitresses and had to wear all white. (10/01/2009)

By dcsprsmm

I tried the baking soda and peroxide on some whites and it worked great. I made a paste and scrubbed it in with an old toothbrush then let it sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse and the wash as usual.

For colors, a vinegar and water solution works well, but it is helpful to first scrub the area. Do this with a soap designed to remove grease, like a shampoo for oily hair or dish detergent. I used dish detergent. This helps as a lot of the stain comes from the deodorant binders, as well as your actual sweat. After scrubbing with de-grease soap in "hot" water rinse with "cool" water and then apply "cool" water/vinegar solution and let sit for 30 minutes. Then wash as usual, no need to rinse. (11/16/2009)

By ToughyWoughy

Archive: Add Aspirin To Your Laundry To Prevent Underarm Stains

I don't remember where I got this tidbit from but it seems to work. If you put an aspirin in the washing machine with the laundry, it helps with underarm stains. It will not remove old stains but will help keep new ones from showing. Living in Florida and being on the football team, my son sweats a lot and even his BLACK tee shirts would get a white stain that I couldn't remove. (I know it wasn't the shirt because it happened to ALL of his shirts). Just put the aspirin in the machine with the wash, no crushing necessary. So far I see no stains on the new shirts! (And I bought the cheap aspirin!).

By Brenda from Deltona, FL

Feedback:

RE: Add Aspirin To Your Laundry To Prevent Underarm Stains

Is it just 1 aspirin? Wonder what it is in it that keeps the stains away?? (09/15/2008)

By TerryRawlinson

I guess I have a hard time accepting that just 1, tiny little aspirin in a whole washing machine tub full of water could make any appreciable amount of difference. Maybe using several of them a small handwash tub as a soak .... (09/23/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

Use cream of tartar and aspirin: This may seem a bizarre combination but it has been known to work wonders. Make a paste with one tablespoon of cream of tartar three crushed full-strength aspirins (they should be white and have no colored coating) and a cup of warm water and scrub in the stained region with an old toothbrush. Leave it that way for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse the affected area in warm water until the paste is completely removed. You can repeat this treatment-and-rinse cycle as many times as necessary but in our experience a maximum of thrice is enough. (04/28/2009)

By ddpmkrupa

Does anyone have any sure-fire solutions for removing yellowish sweat stains from underarms of white shirts?

By MT

Feedback:

He needs to put vinegar under arms after bath. Nothing else is needed, good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

I just heard this on the CBS Early Show this morning, and posted it as a contest submission: crush one regular aspirin per half cup of hot water. Dissolve the aspirin in the water and soak your clothes in it for a couple of hours. Wash as usual.

As for the odor, I'm with everyone who says to use vinegar. I put a couple of caps of white vinegar in my laundry's rinse cycle. It's not only a good odor eliminator, it softens my clothes. But then, that might be different if I hung my clothes to dry. (04/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

I am looking for ways to remove under arm stains on whites.

By Tony from Perth, western Australia, Australia

Feedback:

I saw this on the CBS Early Show this week and posted it as a tip; http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf78911814.tip.html
Hope it helps! JustPlainJo (04/20/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Stop underarm sweat to begin with. If a ring turns your finger green, you get a new ring. If you have a deodorant that causes a reaction with your sweat and turns pitt area on your shirt yellow, get a new deodorant. If you wipe sweat from your head it does not turn yellow. We don't sweat yellow. (04/24/2010)

By kcc5161

How do I remove under arm perspiration marks from both colours and whites?

By Rachael from UK

Feedback:

Have you tried lemon juice? Let it sit a bit, maybe put a little salt with it and scrub and let sit a bit and launder as usual. Hope this helps. (07/24/2010)

By laura343

How can I safely remove yellow arm pit stains from light colored clothing, such as light blue?

By Rick from Oakland, CA

sweat stain on dark clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsFebruary 28, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Man With Stain in Underarm
Preventing Underarm Stains
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:19:00 AM on 10.0.0.86 in 830 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings