Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing

Underarm sweat stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing underarm sweat stains from clothing.

January 15, 2017 Flag

Hydrogen peroxide and sunlight may help your remove stubborn yellow perspiration stains. This is a guide about cleaning underarm stains on white t-shirts.

A man wearing a white t-shirt.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2016 Flag

I bought a beautiful white sweater at a yard sale. The challenge though was the sweater had large yellow armpit stains. I got all sorts of advice, use OXI, use vinegar, use lemon juice, use baking soda; they all failed. Then someone said use what "caused the stain". Hmmmmm, deodorant.

I used a stick of solid white deodorant and rubbed it thickly into both sides inside and out. Let it sit in cold water overnight. Washed as normal the next morning and Wha-La! Beautiful white sweater that looks like new!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

November 17, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about using aspirin for sweat stains. Sweat stains on clothing can be difficult to remove.

An aspirin bottle on it's size with aspirin pills spilling out of it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 19, 2010 Flag

I've seen several requests recently regarding removing those ugly yellow sweat stains from clothing. I heard this tip this morning and thought it might help someone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 13, 2012 Flag

Make a paste of the cheapest aspirin you can find and grind into a powderish consistency. Then mix with water to form a thick paste. Spread paste over stain and rub in.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 24, 2016 Flag

How can I remove old stubborn stain on collars and arm-pit areas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

soak in white vinegar and then wash in hot water with detergent,

March 5, 2016 Flag

I've read others blogs on other sites and have been doing the peroxide and Dawn spraying, but it's not working. What say you? Barkeepers? I read for t works for sunscreen removal, but ya gotta be careful w/that stuff, there's no soaking time with that one.
Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 22, 2009 Flag

How do you remove armpit stains from shirts? Are there any additives you can add to the wash cycle to keep them from developing?

By Leslie from Riverton, WY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Perioxide - If the shirt is light colored. Peroxide can sometimes fade darker colors. You can either pour it on, or spray it on. It's best to let it sit for a few minutes before laundering. I'll spray it on, then let it sit for the time it takes my washer to fill up. I buy the peroxide when it's on sale at 2 bottles for $1 at Wallgreens or a local drug store. I then put it in a well marked spray bottle & keep it in my laundry area. It's good to remove any organic stain (for example, it will remove grape juice, but not grape kool-aid which has an artificial dye).

Oxyclean in the wash cycle can also help. Another thing that can help is for the shirt's owner to exfoliate their armpits once a week by scrubbing with a hand full of plain sugar while in the shower to remove built up deodorant & old skin cells & to use regular deodorant in place of an antiperspirant.

Try soaking the area with white vinegar / baking soda paste and let it sit for a day then launder as usual but add a little more vinegar and baking soda to the water. It worked for me.

April 13, 2011 Flag

I have these dark stains in the underarm section of my white/bone blouses and shirts. The blouses are white and the long sleeve shirt is a Lycra knit. How do remove the stains? I have tried Oxiclean in my HE machine, but it did not work. Thank you.

By Sheila from So. Hadley, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had the same issue with my son's T-shirts. I tried the Oxi-clean in my HE machine with no luck. But, when I tried a way on thriftyfun, I had great success. First fill your sink, etc. with hot water. Add about four scopes of Oxi-clean. Let soak overnight. Wring and wash as usual in your machine. This way worked so well that I tried it on old dried in blood stains and it removed about 95% of them.

Try Hydrogen Peroxide. My daughter just told me yesterday how well this works. We had a water spot on a tile ceiling once, and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide, and it removed the stain.

March 31, 2011 Flag

How to get underarm stains from both black and white t-shirts?

By Robin from Pocono mountains, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Believe it or not you can soak the white ones in water and just toss in a couple of tablets of plain white aspirin - yup aspirin. I've no idea if this works on black.

I tried a rememdy recommended by a previous post and it worked great on whites. I don't know about colors, though. For the whites, mix a couple of scoups of "Oxi-Clean" with hot water in a sink, etc. Add clothing and let set over night. Launder as usual. It removerd old set in persperation stains. I also tried it on old, set-in blood stains and it removed 95% of therm.

March 29, 2011 Flag

What is the best solution for old underarm stains? They are mostly on the white colors. They are all yellow, both under the arm and on the collar.

By Thea from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Believe it or not, you soak it in a couple of tablets of plain old aspirin.

Sorry, aspirin and water. I reread it and it appeared to be unclear.

March 24, 2005 Flag

My teenage sons are very active. Consequently, their shirts have an odor and perspiration stains even after laundering. They take showers everyday and use a deodorant but they still perspire. Does anyone have any solutions to my problem. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have to get the stains out of their clothes.

Maria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would soak them in vinegar water over night.....when I was young my mother always used a spray bottle full of vinegar to remove the "pit smell" (as my brother put it) from my brothers shirts....then wash as usual....vinegar neutralizes many many odors and when the dry the vinegar smell dissipates

A wet tissue found it's way into my darks load. Now there is tissue on everything and it won't come off with a lint roller. What do I do?

February 27, 2011 Flag

I need a perspiration smell/stain remover. The smell stays even after washing.

By Harriet from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using lemon scented ammonia in the rinse about a cup should do it.

April 15, 2014 Flag

I have an evening special occasional dress. The color is a light brown with silver sparkle throughout. It's a JR Nites by Carol Lin. I wore it once for a wedding, and it was a very hot day. The sweat and deodorant made the color change in spots to a reddish color in multiple areas on dress. I washed it in Woollite and also an oxi-type laundry detergent and hung it to dry. The spots did not change. Any suggestions to save the garment?

By Donna from Parma, Ohio

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2000 Flag

How do I get underarm stains off of my white tank tops?

Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try soaking it in a mixture of Oxy Clean, baking soda and water before laundering.

October 22, 2009 Flag

How do I get out yellow stains from the underarms of my shirts?

By lesdragons

Answers:

Underarm Stains on Shirts

Try peroxide. (It's easy, cheap, and clean). Pour or spray it on the armpit of the shirt, then wait 10 or 15 minutes, then launder as usual. (The peroxide works by fizzing the stain out with oxygen). Another technique: Try pouring a "Free and Clear" liquid laundry soap directly on to the stain. The "Free and Clear" is laundry soap without dyes and perfumes.

If you are using an antiperspirant instead of a deodorant, it may be adding to the problem because antiperspirant leaves a residue whereas plain deodorant does not. Antiperspirants can also have a "rebound" effect (at least I've found this is true with me) which means your body can rebel with antiperspirants and actually sweat more. Try switching to plain deodorant without the added antiperspirant. If you really want an antiperspirant, try using a "crystal deodorant" it's available in health food stores in both a large solid crystal as well as a liquid roll on. I've found this doesn't cause the "rebound" effect.

Another hint: In the summer when I really perspire like crazy, I like to splash rubbing alcohol on my arm pits. Alcohol kills the germs that cause odor. I'll then follow the alcohol with another coat of plain deodorant.

Sometimes yellow spots can be caused by left over dirt and dead skin cells. It makes sense to exfoliate your armpits once a week. I just take a handful of regular sugar (or table salt) then scrub my pits when they are moist in the shower. Then wash them with soap and shave as usual. This technique removes old dead skin cells and tiny bits of antiperspirant that are left behind. It can really make a difference, and a bag of sugar goes a very long way. (04/20/2009)

By Cyinda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 20, 2009 Flag

I have a problem with the underarms of my shirts. I buy reasonably expensive shirts for work but they are ruined after a period of time by the build-up under the arm pits. I am not particularly sweaty and there is no smell, but there is an awful stain left after a few months. Its usually hard and dried in.

I've tried washing with Vanish and soap to remove it or stop it from building up but nothing seems to work. I have to throw the shirts away before they wear out. I have used various deodorants, aerosol and roll-ons, but it makes no difference. Please help!

By ianp44 from Worthing, West Sussex

Answers:

Underarm Stains on Shirts

Are you wearing undershirts with short sleeves? They will provide a layer between you and the shirt, and hopefully decrease the staining. How often are you laundering? You might need to do so more often, even though the shirts are not dirty. Good luck! (03/31/2009)

By Jilson

Underarm Stains on Shirts

You might try a prewash stain treatment like Shout. You can also make a paste of OxyClean and rub it into the stained area. I put a scoop of OxyClean in every wash and fill my fabric softener cup with vinegar and turn out very clean wash. You need to rub something into the stain before washing. (03/31/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Underarm Stains on Shirts

I would change my brand of deodorant immediately and use a spray can type to see if the sediment is from the deodorant. (04/03/2009)

By mklema92658

Underarm Stains on Shirts

How about using a layer of powder to form a barrier, or removable underarm pads (they hook to your bra), or a t-shirt under your blouse? When you remove your shirt, it might help to let it air (not crumble up with the other dirty clothes).
Pretreat before you wash. How about stronger deodorant? (04/09/2009)

By mulberry204

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 13, 2011 Flag

How can I safely remove yellow arm pit stains from light colored clothing, such as light blue?

By Rick from Oakland, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 27, 2011 Flag

How do I remove under arm perspiration marks from both colours and whites?

By Rachael from UK

Answers:

Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

Have you tried lemon juice? Let it sit a bit, maybe put a little salt with it and scrub and let sit a bit and launder as usual. Hope this helps. (07/24/2010)

By laura343

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2010 Flag

I am looking for ways to remove under arm stains on whites.

By Tony from Perth, western Australia, Australia

Answers:

How to Remove Underarm Sweat Stains from Light Clothing?

I saw this on the CBS Early Show this week and posted it as a tip; http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf78911814.tip.html
Hope it helps! JustPlainJo (04/20/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Stop underarm sweat to begin with. If a ring turns your finger green, you get a new ring. If you have a deodorant that causes a reaction with your sweat and turns pitt area on your shirt yellow, get a new deodorant. If you wipe sweat from your head it does not turn yellow. We don't sweat yellow. (04/24/2010)

By kcc5161

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 16, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any sure-fire solutions for removing yellowish sweat stains from underarms of white shirts?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 17, 2010 Flag

Is it possible to remove sweat stains from whites that are old?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 10, 2010 Flag

My husband gets sweat stains on the armpits of his shirts. I have tried different detergents, soaking the shirts with many different "solutions" with no fix.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2009 Flag

My husband's shirts are pretty white, but the underarms are not. These are not new shirts, but are in good condition. They are a poly cotton blend.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

I am looking for tips for removing perspiration stains from white t-shirts.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning StainsFebruary 28, 2012
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Using Aspirin for Sweat Stains
A man wearing a white t-shirt.
Cleaning Underarm Stains on White T-shirts
Man With Stain in Underarm
Preventing Underarm Stains
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 2:24:01 PM on 10.0.1.137 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.