Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing

Underarm sweat stains can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing underarm sweat stains from clothing.

sweat stain on dark clothing
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I've seen several requests recently regarding removing those ugly yellow sweat stains from clothing. I heard this tip this morning and thought it might help someone.

Use one plain, regular-strength, crushed aspirin per half cup of hot water. Dissolve the aspirin in the water. Soak clothes in this for a couple of hours and wash as usual. The stains should be gone.

Source: "The CBS Early Show, this morning's tip segment.

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've read others blogs on other sites and have been doing the peroxide and Dawn spraying, but it's not working. What say you? Barkeepers? I read for t works for sunscreen removal, but ya gotta be careful w/that stuff, there's no soaking time with that one.
Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What will get sweat stains off of white shirts and t-shirts. My partner's clothes always stain under the arms. We have tried using different deodorants, but they still appear. I have tried things like Vanish, etc. what works the best so far is Shout spray and Ace bleach, but they are still visible. Any help will be appreciated.

By nikkib763 from UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a small spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar to keep by the washer. Spray the perspiration stains and wash as usual. Vinegar is also good if you have purchase a clothing item that the dye has an odor to it that will not wash out. Just either hand wash the item in vinegar and regular detergent (let the article soak for a while) or launder by itself.

Read More Answers...

I have these dark stains in the underarm section of my white/bone blouses and shirts. The blouses are white and the long sleeve shirt is a Lycra knit. How do remove the stains? I have tried Oxiclean in my HE machine, but it did not work. Thank you.

By Sheila from So. Hadley, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try Hydrogen Peroxide. My daughter just told me yesterday how well this works. We had a water spot on a tile ceiling once, and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide, and it removed the stain.

Read More Answers...

How to get underarm stains from both black and white t-shirts?

By Robin from Pocono mountains, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried a rememdy recommended by a previous post and it worked great on whites. I don't know about colors, though. For the whites, mix a couple of scoups of "Oxi-Clean" with hot water in a sink, etc. Add clothing and let set over night. Launder as usual. It removerd old set in persperation stains. I also tried it on old, set-in blood stains and it removed 95% of therm.

Read More Answers...

What is the best solution for old underarm stains? They are mostly on the white colors. They are all yellow, both under the arm and on the collar.

By Thea from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sorry, aspirin and water. I reread it and it appeared to be unclear.

Read More Answers...

A paste of aspirin will work to get rid of yellow antiperspirant stains (and other protein-based stains). This is in addition to the age-old white vinegar/meat tenderizer remedies.

Source: http://www.instructables.com

By pamphyila from LA, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My teenage sons are very active. Consequently, their shirts have an odor and perspiration stains even after laundering. They take showers everyday and use a deodorant but they still perspire. Does anyone have any solutions to my problem. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have to get the stains out of their clothes.

Maria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

i think baking soda added to your washing, takes out odors, it may remove the stained spots too. I used 1/2 to 1 cup, plus i used my Ariel powder laundry soap along with it.

Read More Answers...

I need a perspiration smell/stain remover. The smell stays even after washing.

By Harriet from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try using lemon scented ammonia in the rinse about a cup should do it.

Make a paste of the cheapest aspirin you can find and grind into a powderish consistency. Then mix with water to form a thick paste. Spread paste over stain and rub in. Can use an old toothbrush or battery stain brush to rub paste into stain. Let sit 60-90 minutes and then wash as you would normally, in cold water.

When removed from washer; magic, no stain! No stain even if you have tried other methods and stain is old. If it is a really stubborn stain, repeat procedure. I have never had to do it more than twice to a really nasty stain.

By Nancy from Wilmington, DE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get underarm stains off of my white tank tops?

Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try soaking it in a mixture of Oxy Clean, baking soda and water before laundering.

How can I safely remove yellow arm pit stains from light colored clothing, such as light blue?

By Rick from Oakland, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove under arm perspiration marks from both colours and whites?

By Rachael from UK

Answers:

Removing Sweat Stains and Odor from Clothing

Have you tried lemon juice? Let it sit a bit, maybe put a little salt with it and scrub and let sit a bit and launder as usual. Hope this helps. (07/24/2010)

By laura343

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for ways to remove under arm stains on whites.

By Tony from Perth, western Australia, Australia

Answers:

How to Remove Underarm Sweat Stains from Light Clothing?

I saw this on the CBS Early Show this week and posted it as a tip; http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf78911814.tip.html
    Hope it helps! JustPlainJo (04/20/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Stop underarm sweat to begin with. If a ring turns your finger green, you get a new ring. If you have a deodorant that causes a reaction with your sweat and turns pitt area on your shirt yellow, get a new deodorant. If you wipe sweat from your head it does not turn yellow. We don't sweat yellow. (04/24/2010)

By kcc5161

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have any sure-fire solutions for removing yellowish sweat stains from underarms of white shirts?

By MT

Answers:

He needs to put vinegar under arms after bath. Nothing else is needed, good luck. (04/11/2010)

By kffrmw88

I just heard this on the CBS Early Show this morning, and posted it as a contest submission: crush one regular aspirin per half cup of hot water. Dissolve the aspirin in the water and soak your clothes in it for a couple of hours. Wash as usual.

As for the odor, I'm with everyone who says to use vinegar. I put a couple of caps of white vinegar in my laundry's rinse cycle. It's not only a good odor eliminator, it softens my clothes. But then, that might be different if I hung my clothes to dry. (04/15/2010)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't remember where I got this tidbit from but it seems to work. If you put an aspirin in the washing machine with the laundry, it helps with underarm stains. It will not remove old stains but will help keep new ones from showing. Living in Florida and being on the football team, my son sweats a lot and even his BLACK tee shirts would get a white stain that I couldn't remove. (I know it wasn't the shirt because it happened to ALL of his shirts). Just put the aspirin in the machine with the wash, no crushing necessary. So far I see no stains on the new shirts! (And I bought the cheap aspirin!).

By Brenda from Deltona, FL

Answers:

Add Aspirin To Your Laundry To Prevent Underarm Stains

Is it just 1 aspirin? Wonder what it is in it that keeps the stains away?? (09/15/2008)

By TerryRawlinson

I guess I have a hard time accepting that just 1, tiny little aspirin in a whole washing machine tub full of water could make any appreciable amount of difference. Maybe using several of them a small handwash tub as a soak .... (09/23/2008)

By qtpuh2tme

Use cream of tartar and aspirin: This may seem a bizarre combination but it has been known to work wonders. Make a paste with one tablespoon of cream of tartar three crushed full-strength aspirins (they should be white and have no colored coating) and a cup of warm water and scrub in the stained region with an old toothbrush. Leave it that way for about 20-30 minutes. Rinse the affected area in warm water until the paste is completely removed. You can repeat this treatment-and-rinse cycle as many times as necessary but in our experience a maximum of thrice is enough. (04/28/2009)

By ddpmkrupa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it possible to remove sweat stains from whites that are old?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband gets sweat stains on the armpits of his shirts. I have tried different detergents, soaking the shirts with many different "solutions" with no fix.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My husband's shirts are pretty white, but the underarms are not. These are not new shirts, but are in good condition. They are a poly cotton blend.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for tips for removing perspiration stains from white t-shirts.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a white t-shirt with sweat stains under the arms. No amount of soaking or washing seems to fix the problem. The shirt is still in good condition so I would really appreciate any advice.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning StainsFebruary 28, 2012
    Purple Yoga Mat
    Cleaning a Yoga Mat
    Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
    Preventing Underarm Odor
    Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
    Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
    Man With Stain in Underarm
    Preventing Underarm Stains
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 6:05:36 PM on 10.0.0.251 in 679 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.