Use Vacuum To Clean Vacuum Filter

I own a vacuum cleaner that has a dust bin instead of using a bag. It contains a cylindrical fluted filter which is rather difficult to clean. I usually clean by banging it on a cement wall outside. However, we have so much snow this winter here in ND, there is no good place to do this outside. What to do...?

I solved the problem by vacuuming the filter using my upstairs vacuum cleaner. This worked so well that I won't go back to doing it outside any more. The upstairs vacuum cleaner has a sponge-like filter and I can clean that one with my downstairs vacuum cleaner. I believe I will also clean the fluted filter on my Dustbuster that way.

By Judy from Valley City, ND

I know it almost seems absurd to have to clean one vacuum with another, but I do the same thing.

I have the same vacuum and yes, it is hard to clean. My bin is plastic so I can't bang it up against the house. It would crack. Your idea sounds great but I only have one vacuum. I did buy a baby bottle brush at the dollar store and have been using that. Not as good as your idea. Does anyone out there have better ideas for cleaning inside all those flutes?

Thank you for a great idea. It will be so much easier now to clean my vacuums. An ex-pat from Wyoming living in Washington. I love your state. It is beautiful.

Red canister vacuum on white background.
Cleaning a Vacuum
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesFebruary 26, 2010
Refrigerator Water Dispenser
Changing Your Refrigerator Water Filter
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Furnace Filter
Changing a Furnace Filter
Well Water
Cleaning A Well Water Filter