Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Glue from Prescription Bottles

How do I remove glue from the prescription bottles?

Ann from Poplarville, MS

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By nickTheOneWhoGaveYouThisAnswer 10/20/2013

A can of WD-40 Protective White Lithium Grease Then to remove grease some choke and carb cleaner then rinse with water. there are more steps but it is easier. To remove label fill with water put in microwave for about a min and it peels right off.

By Phyliss Taggart01/20/2011

Heat them in the microwave and they peel right off or if you've taken the paper off, wipe with a paper towel!

By Melanie [1]01/16/2011

I peel off what I can then I put a piece of packing tape over the whole thing and pull it up quickly. It might take several little jabs with the tape but you'll get it all.

By JackieB02/15/2009

I agree with the person that suggested Goo Gone. It is perfect for removing adhesive from anything. I have a bottle in my kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in my work room.

By Tammy Hanson02/08/2009

Hi Ann,
I grew up in Poplarville! Graduated in '76 and went to Pearl River and on to State. I use WD-40 to dissolve glue from stuck on labels.

By Billie (Guest Post)02/05/2009

Thanks for all these suggestions. I recycle our prescription containers by giving them to a teacher who shares with other teachers. I understand they really come in handy. Please, everyone, recycle if you can instead of throwing everything in the garbage.

By Syd's 2 cents (Guest Post)02/01/2009

This worked great for me. I had a big supply of pill bottles given to me. I filled each bottle with hot water & screwed the top on and submerged in a container of hot water and let them soak. About 5 minutes.

By Anna H [1]01/23/2009

White vinegar always works for me for removing glue from old stickers, etc. Try it!

By ann. (Guest Post)01/22/2009

Thanks a million for all these suggestions! I got some labels off by peeling the them and others wouldn't come off all in one piece nd that was where the glue problem stepped in. I'm trying to get them ready to send them off to a church that uses them for homeless and medicine they send to another country (Africa I think) they have to put them on brown bags otherwise.

Once more thank all of you for the suggestions. Hope I can have an answer one day to help one of y'all.

By Cheryl (Guest Post)01/22/2009

Acetone or finger nail polish remover will remove the glue from your prescription bottles

By Janette [77]01/22/2009

Try hand sanitizer. It works for me. ~Janette~

By Connie A. (Guest Post)01/22/2009

I use a black permanent marker and color it dark to make sure no information shows through before I throw it away. It seems to work okay and is a lot easier than fighting the glue.

By Margaret [13]01/22/2009

I've never used peanut butter, but I've heard from several sources that it does work. I have used Goo Gone and that works really well. But, in a pinch, like when I was out of Goo Gone, I have used WD-40 with success. The only down side is the petroleum type smell. Goo Gone also has a smell but it is much more pleasant...sort of citrusy. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

By antique person (Guest Post)01/22/2009

I soak them in hot tap water and a strong solution of pine sol. By the time the water cools you can pick it off starting at one corner and using your finger nails.

By Tracy (Guest Post)01/22/2009

You can also use your blowdryer to heat up the label, peel and clean the goop with some dishsoap.

By SL Edens [1]01/21/2009

I just use peanut butter...smear it on and let it sit over night, wipe it off with a paper towel then wash with soapy water.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]01/21/2009

Try some Goo Gone!