Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Removing Glue from Prescription Bottles

1EmailPrintFollowSave

How do I remove glue from the prescription bottles?

Ann from Poplarville, MS

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,752 01/21/2009 Flag

Try some Goo Gone!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By SL Edens 1 395 01/21/2009 Flag

I just use peanut butter...smear it on and let it sit over night, wipe it off with a paper towel then wash with soapy water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tracy (Guest Post) 01/22/2009 Flag

You can also use your blowdryer to heat up the label, peel and clean the goop with some dishsoap.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By antique person (Guest Post) 01/22/2009 Flag

I soak them in hot tap water and a strong solution of pine sol. By the time the water cools you can pick it off starting at one corner and using your finger nails.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Margaret 13 124 01/22/2009 Flag

I've never used peanut butter, but I've heard from several sources that it does work. I have used Goo Gone and that works really well. But, in a pinch, like when I was out of Goo Gone, I have used WD-40 with success. The only down side is the petroleum type smell. Goo Gone also has a smell but it is much more pleasant...sort of citrusy. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Connie A. (Guest Post) 01/22/2009 Flag

I use a black permanent marker and color it dark to make sure no information shows through before I throw it away. It seems to work okay and is a lot easier than fighting the glue.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janette 91 153 01/22/2009 Flag

Try hand sanitizer. It works for me. ~Janette~

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cheryl (Guest Post) 01/22/2009 Flag

Acetone or finger nail polish remover will remove the glue from your prescription bottles

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ann. (Guest Post) 01/22/2009 Flag

Thanks a million for all these suggestions! I got some labels off by peeling the them and others wouldn't come off all in one piece nd that was where the glue problem stepped in. I'm trying to get them ready to send them off to a church that uses them for homeless and medicine they send to another country (Africa I think) they have to put them on brown bags otherwise.

Once more thank all of you for the suggestions. Hope I can have an answer one day to help one of y'all.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anna H 2 18 01/23/2009 Flag

White vinegar always works for me for removing glue from old stickers, etc. Try it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Syd's 2 cents (Guest Post) 02/01/2009 Flag

This worked great for me. I had a big supply of pill bottles given to me. I filled each bottle with hot water & screwed the top on and submerged in a container of hot water and let them soak. About 5 minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Billie (Guest Post) 02/05/2009 Flag

Thanks for all these suggestions. I recycle our prescription containers by giving them to a teacher who shares with other teachers. I understand they really come in handy. Please, everyone, recycle if you can instead of throwing everything in the garbage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tammy Hanson 2 02/08/2009 Flag

Hi Ann,
I grew up in Poplarville! Graduated in '76 and went to Pearl River and on to State. I use WD-40 to dissolve glue from stuck on labels.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By JackieB 1 6 02/15/2009 Flag

I agree with the person that suggested Goo Gone. It is perfect for removing adhesive from anything. I have a bottle in my kitchen, one in the bathroom and one in my work room.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melanie 1 7 01/16/2011 Flag

I peel off what I can then I put a piece of packing tape over the whole thing and pull it up quickly. It might take several little jabs with the tape but you'll get it all.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Phyliss Taggart 1 7 01/20/2011 Flag

Heat them in the microwave and they peel right off or if you've taken the paper off, wipe with a paper towel!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By nickTheOneWhoGaveYouThisAnswer 1 10/20/2013 Flag

A can of WD-40 Protective White Lithium Grease Then to remove grease some choke and carb cleaner then rinse with water. there are more steps but it is easier. To remove label fill with water put in microwave for about a min and it peels right off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Chicot Traveler 1 01/08/2015 Flag

I used carb cleaner and it took it of fast.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes