MiscellaneousCleaning

Use Microwave to Help Remove RX Labels

After many times of trying to remove labels from empty pill bottles to remove my identity from them before discarding them, I hit on a new way tonight. I was standing at my kitchen sink, next to the microwave. I filled my empty pill bottle with water, sat it in the microwave, heated the water in the micro for a few seconds or minutes. I removed the bottle from the microwave, dumped the water out and just like that the label peeled right off that bottle. No more struggling with labels for me.

By Arlene from Lancaster, PA

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I discard many bottles every month, and remove the labels with my fingernails. NO MORE! Hurray! I wouldn't have thought of this!

There is a place you can help other people a world away. it is called The Malawi project. if you send your empty prescription bottles you will be helping needy people keep their medicines from breaking apart. we throw them away anyways, why not help them?

Top Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. Works great. Do not over heat, no more than 20 seconds for two bottles. Be careful, very hot.

How do you send them? We had a program to do this but they stopped taking them.

Anonymous

Where can we send them I can pass this on to people who clean houses as a living and stop put them in landfill.

This is a great idea. I like to keep the bigger RX bottles to put little items in them for storage, like my sewing things. Pins, needles, paper clips, and items like that. I always try to take the labels off of them. This will make it a lot easier to remove them. Thanks for the good idea, Arlene.

No electricity version:

Vegetable oil or baby oil works to remove the stickiness, without wasting electricity. Peel off what you can and then wipe or spray on the oil, let it soak in for 15 mins or so, then peel.

All medication bottles are recyclable too. They are either #1 or #2 plastic and can be recycled anywhere, even your recycle box from your trash service.

A hairdryer works great, too! That's what I use to get the labels off prescription bottles. I also use it for getting price stickers off packages and books.

Another way to remove lables from med bottles or just about anything is use a blow dryer and heat the lable up for a few seconds, then remove them.

Anonymous

WD40 removes them quickly with no adhesive residue left on the bottle

well this is simply amazing!