Cream Soup Mix

This is a recipe I have had long before fat free canned soups appeared in the local grocery store. I copied it from a newspaper article years ago. The recipe is wheat/gluten free!

Ingredients

• 2 cups powdered nonfat milk
  • 1/4 cup instant chicken bouilion
  • 1 teaspoon basil leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
  • 1 teaspon thyme leaves

Directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

To substitute for 1 can of condensed soup: Combine 1/3 cup mix with 1-1/4 cups cold water in a saucepan. Sir to moisten, then heat over low medium-low heat until thickened. Add to casserole as you would canned soup. Can be used in casserole or as the base for homemade cream soups.

Equivalent to 9 cans of soup or 18 servings.

Per serving: 43 calories, 0 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium

Source: It was copied from the Charlotte Observer about 20 years ago to the best of my knowledge.

By Carol from Hartselle, AL

What a wonderful recipe! I've never seen an alternative to Cream soups before. This is much healthier than the can soups as well and could easily be made organic by using organic ingredients! Thank you so much for posting .. I've been using things like creamed corn instead of cream of mushroom soup in casseroles to avoid all the fat and calories and preservatives in regular cream soups but this recipe will make those casseroles much more "like mom used to make" .. It would be great to add extra flavors like hot sauce or fresh herbs to the "soup" as it thickened too! Thanks again, this is wonderful!

Thanks for sharing! Any more I pretty much toss any recipe that contains "cream of anything" soup because I think it's so nasty. This substitute may prove to be quite useful. Thanks again! - Carol, Kansas City

Thanks soooo much for sharing. I can't wait to try it. I often wondered what one did before the days of the cream soups. Now I know!

Now THIS is a useful and good sounding recipe. Sometimes I wonder why people would think that things like hotdogs and processed cheese would make good food, or icky things like that. THIS is going in my recipe box, especially since our local Safeway sells powdered milk in bulk form and it's better (not balled up like some kinds) than the stuff in the box!