Fruit Syrups

One day, I read the ingredients on a bottle of "maple" flavored syrup. Holy Cow! No wonder my kids were so crazed after pancakes! But the high fructose corn syrup and sugar aren't the worst parts. The preservatives alone are enough to terrify you. So we started buying up fruit at the store, or better yet, the local farmers market, and canning our own syrups.

This is not as complicated as it sounds! If you haven't canned before, have no fear, it's easy. The syrup has a fantastic fresh flavor, and at least you know what's in it (fruit, sugar, and some pectin, if you choose).

Syrup can also be served over ice cream, on snow cones, etc. And as I mentioned in a previous post, you can always mix some of the syrup with applesauce and serve it to cut down on the sugar further.

To avoid the artificial flavors of Koolaid, I squeeze 4 limes (at 10 cents each) into a gallon of water. I add some of our syrup (pineapple at the moment and practically free). Add a little sugar if it's too tart, some salt if it's hot out. You now have a great replacement for Gatoraid or Koolaid.

By Gina J. from CO

I dont even bother making a "syrup" for pancakes, I simply take a mixture of frozen berries from the freezer, raspberries and/or blue berries are best and microwave them for 3-4 minutes until they defrost and then melt into a sauce with chunks. If you dont like chunks, you can mash them with a fork or the back of a spoon.

My neice and nefphew love the hot fruit sauce (they dont know I dont add sugar) on their pancakes and with no added sugar it makes me feel better about them having a treat food anyway. It also means its very quick and I only have to make what I need.

If you're allergic to trees like I am you might want to avoid maple syrup which is from trees. I know it sure affects me. :(