AdviceOrganizing

Organizing a Living Room

I need help in organizing my living room. How can I organize it so that it won't look too crowded?

By Monica from Mission, TX

According to the decorating shows that I have seen on HGTV you get rid of most of the furniture, knick knacks, etc. I can't even do that in my aparment. I have a couch, my lift chair, two end tables, TV stand, computer desk, and china cabinet. I have no place else for my desk and china cabinet. I never really wanted a china cabinet, but inherited from my late parents.

Try simplifying. Do you use your china? If not decide to use it everyday and place them in your kitchen or give away to a deserving relative. That frees up some floor space. I would take everything else out of the room except what you can justify keeping. I like using storage pieces like a six drawer dresser for a tv stand, movies, extra items etc can be stored in the drawers. I use baskets that stack such as picnic baskets to hold throws, magazines, toys etc. Book shelves with baskets, can hold dvds, cds, books and collections.

Use inside mounted blinds for the windows with simple window dressings to give the illusion of more room. Use wall space efficiently placing photos and artwork in collections but leaving free space for the eye to rest. Good luck.