Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica

Category Kitchen
Formica is a popular and relatively durable countertop material. However, you can sometimes leave a stain or burn mark on Formica if a hot pot is placed on it. This is a guide about removing heat stains and burn marks on Formica.

I have a black pressed laminate countertop and am having trouble removing the marks left behind from cooking. When you fry, the oil/fat that spits onto the counter leaves behind a faint mark. The only way I've found to remove the grease (because I believe I shouldn't use a scrubber on the surface) is with vinegar. I have tried lots of products, but even then there are faint marks. It could possibly be still grease left behind. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or the knockoffs) work very well.

Use a soft cloth to wipe a mild liquid detergent or commercial cleaner on the countertop. Use a soft toothbrush to clean along seams or metal edging. Rinse with clean water and dry with a cloth towel. Dont use too much water, especially near the seams of the laminate, because it can penetrate and cause the laminate to swell and crack. Dont use an acidic cleaner like bleach, or a tub and tile cleaner, because it can etch or permanently discolor the laminate. To clean greasy buildup, use a commercial kitchen cleaner or make your own cleaning solution by mixing vinegar and water in a 50/50 solution.

This information is from:

http://www.diyn  nate-countertops

Thankyou for your feedback, but this isn´t normal laminate it is pressed laminate and reacts differently. As for using detergents etc.. as I´ve written above I must have tried 10 different products but only white vinegar worked to a point. After the grease was removed there is marks still on the surface when the light catches it.

I have a white ring on my beautiful Formica counter top which looks like a brown multi granite. Any solutions how to remove this ring?

By Maryann

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Does anyone know how to remove heat stains on a kitchen countertop (probably Formica)?

By ks from NZ

Anonymous

Sorry to tell you but a heat stain is a burn and means it's damaged :-( You could try to lightly try to buff it off if it is minimal but beyond a minimal burn there's no way to repair other than replacing :-(

Anonymous

That is not true. I have been researching and it can be repaired.

So what is the solution.

They never said so we don't know. I did a little research on the internet and it looks like most people recommend using baking soda and vinegar to scrub off the stain. It sounds like bleach will remove the stain but also the color of the countertop.

If you find a good solution, please share it with us.

How do I repair a white ring on my Corian counter top where I placed a hot skillet? Please help.

By Honest Don from Las Vegas, NV

Well, heat marks on corian is repairable. I believe the method is by sanding the area but I would contact a distributor or seller of corian to get the best way to make the repair. I am sure there are counter installers of corian that could also make the repair for you. I would look in the yellow pages for these folks and talk to them. Also in this digital age I would take a pic and print it out on your puter so they can see the damage.

How toget steam from hot pot off my kitchen table