Sydney, Australia's Earth Hour

This weekend, Sydney, the biggest city in Australia, is holding Earth Hour. The idea is that for one hour from 7:30pm they are asking everyone, businesses, restaurants, home owners, to switch off lights and power appliances for just one hour (except of course those needed for safety reasons). The lights will go out on the famed Sydney Harbor Bridge, and the Opera House.

This time it's only Sydney, but next year, it's hoped it will be other cities in Australia, and then a global venture.

Perhaps we could all start lobbying our local councils, towns, etc, to do this for just one hour too. We're all in this environmental crisis together.

By Ellie from Melbourne, Australia

What a perfect idea!! Leave it to the Aussies to come up with such a great plan. I'd be anxious to hear how it turns out. My brother lives in Brisbane and is in the Royal Australian Navy. Have a great day!!!

jane

I love it!! You go, Sydney!

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that change begins on an individual level. 2 years ago, my husband and I made the conscious choice to try to go without air conditioning in the summer. In all honesty, that first summer was hard (we lived in humid Va. Beach then). We managed to go until late July before we broke down and started turning the AC on occasion. Then we bought our farm in Tennessee. Last year we used the AC once for only 2 days when temps were in the 90's. That's a huge cut back on co2, energy use, and electric bills. It CAN be done, folks.

This summer, we're making the choice to use alternative lighting. Daylight when possible, an oil lamp to read by, candles for general "don't stumble and fall" lighting. Okay, maybe this sounds a bit extreme, but people thought we were being extreme about the AC ban too , and honestly , we don't even miss it now. It's a matter of what you get used too, I think.

Earth Hour
Celebrating Earth Hour
Better Living Green Living Planet HealthApril 2, 2007
Earth in Human Hands
Celebrating Earth Day
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Sydney, Australia Sydney Opera House
Sydney, Australia - Frugal Travel Guide
Crafts for Earth Day
Crafts for Earth Day
🎄