Celebrating Earth Hour

Category Electricity
Earth Hour
When a whole country decides to turn off their power for an hour, energy is saved and people learn important lessons. This guide is about celebrating earth hour.

Just recently Australia, not sure about the rest of the world, celebrated Earth Hour, when for one hour, lots of businesses and people turned off their lights. More can be found on the net. We as a family did just that; turned off the lights, turned off the puters, xbox's, tv's, etc., and we lit lots of candles and had to rely on each other for entertainment.

My kids surprised the heck out of me, games that were not cool all of a sudden became fun, and making dinner and eating by candlelight was not just mushy mum and dad stuff but way cool. So much so that now if I don't do a earth hour (that lasts at least an entire evening, till bedtime) at least once a week then I don't love them.

So I've been hunting around the cheap shops for games and jigsaws and when I am allowed, searching the net. The amount of cheap and easy entertainment is amazing, we are all are learning to play a card game at the minute and it is driving me crazy, cause they are all so much better than me.

Pleasant surprise, the electricity bill came in this week and it was 35% down on last quarter, so with only one night a week that we don't have TV or whatever is actually having an impact. I am going to get organized and have it at least 5 nights a week but at the end of the year.

Anyway the point of this long and rambling post was to say that small things do make a difference.

Cheers,
Kerry

P.S. Thanks to all of the contributors to this site, I have found it to be an amazing source for all things. Luv to all.

This weekend, Sydney, the biggest city in Australia, is holding Earth Hour. The idea is that for one hour from 7:30pm they are asking everyone, businesses, restaurants, home owners, to switch off lights and power appliances for just one hour (except of course those needed for safety reasons). The lights will go out on the famed Sydney Harbor Bridge, and the Opera House.

This time it's only Sydney, but next year, it's hoped it will be other cities in Australia, and then a global venture.

Perhaps we could all start lobbying our local councils, towns, etc, to do this for just one hour too. We're all in this environmental crisis together.

By Ellie from Melbourne, Australia