Rat Terrier Started Peeing Inside

My 8 year old dog started peeing in house after going outside all the time, what happened? It is a Rat Terrier, smart, cute and listens but what went wrong now?

Norma from Las Vegas

A change in behavior can usually be traced to one of two things: 1. The environment has changed (new children? new spouse? new pets? etc) or 2. There is a health issue to be dealt with.

Improper soiling in cats or dogs is a red flag. Please take your dog to the vet FIRST to eliminate the possibility of kidney or bladder infections (etc). Your vet should also have some excellent suggestions to help you pinpoint the cause and prevent future problems.

Please refrain from trying to punish the dog. This is not a training issue, especially given his age. Unless something radical has changed at home that is stressing him out, then you are probably dealing with some sort of health issue that only your vet can help you pinpoint.

Good luck to you all -

I agree with Julie. Go to the vet and find out about kidney and/or bladder problems.

I also agree with all Julie stated here!

I agree. You need to get him or her to a vet ASAP.

I have the same problem with my cat. She is 16 years old and has been in kidney failure for the last 10 years. She has begun to urinate in my living room completely avoiding the box and cries when try to place her there. I have an appointment for her next week. Someone suggested a bladder infection.

I also need some advice. The hardwood floor under the carpet is ruined. Any suggestions, other than replacing the floor? Someone mentioned bleaching the black marks out of the wood. Does anyone know about this? Thanks. And, good luck with your baby.

My 12 year old dog is female and spayed. The vet told me that sometimes this happens as they get older. She is not actually doing a "pee" that she would outside, rather, pee is just coming out when she is sleeping or relaxing. She is very distressed by this because she thinks she is bad. The vet gave us a liquid antihistime medicine that she gets a little bit every day. Stopped the problem immediately.

Dear dyan818, You must be a wonderful caretaker to have your pet survive for so long with kidney failure!

I had a similar problem with my 16 year-old cat after we moved from the West Coast. He was not only urinating and defecating on the wood floors, but also on the furniture. After having him checked by the vet (who gave him a clean bill of health), I restricted him to the bathroom for several months, feeding him there, and giving him plenty of attention and affection while he was "incarcerated". Thank goodness, my furniture was ScotchGuarded, which took care of the stains; but it took a hint from another member of TH to finally get the odor out.....Listerine Mouthwash! After all the other products I used - bleach, vinegar, baking soda, commercial products, etc. didn't work, this one was a miracle. I diluted it half and half in a spray bottle, applied it everywhere he had visited, let it dry and all the odors were gone! The Listerine aroma faded in a few days. It did no harm to my floors, rugs or furniture. I was then able to reintroduce him to the rest of the apartment and since he couldn't smell his former potty areas, he has returned to his litter box and has remained faithful to it ever since. Although confining your cat may seem drastic, it serves as a method of retraing him. Just make sure he is comfortable and gets lots of extra attention and affection.

If you cannot remove the black stains from your floor with bleach, you might consider sanding it and refinishing, which is a lot cheaper than replacing the floor. Check with your local hardware store for products that are made just for this problem. Good luck!

The poor thing. I had a Rat Terrier for just over 10 years. She started to do that too. I took her to the Vet and found she had a UTI infection. After her medication was done, she didn't do it again...until she got another infection.

Dogs get old just like us, only faster.

Give her a lot of love and patience, but please take her to your vet.

Dollmaker

A lot of times in cats and dogs this is stress related. Give the animal his own safe place to be where others do not bother him, give him a place of safety and peace and the peeing will stop. Is another dog giving him anxiety?

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 2, 2008
Pack rat collection
Organizing Tips for a Pack Rat
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄