Easy Substitution List
I keep this list inside my cookbook in case I am ever in a pinch for alternative ingredients.
If the recipe calls for:
- cream cheese: cottage cheese blended with butter or milk.
- ricotta cheese: cottage cheese.
- romano cheese: Parmesan cheese
- sifted all-purpose flour (1 cup): 1 cup less 2 Tbsp. unsifted all-purpose flour.
- sifted cake flour (1 cup): 1 cup less 2 Tbsp. sifted all-purpose flour.
- self rising flour (1 cup): 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- buttermilk (1 cup): 1 cup plain yogurt, or 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup, let stand 5 minutes before using.
- heavy cream or half and half (1 cup): 7/8 cup whole milk plus 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter.
- sour cream (1 cup): 1 cup plain yogurt.
- whole milk (1 cup): 1 cup skim or non-fat milk plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine.
- confectioners' sugar (1 cup): 1/2 cup plus one Tbsp. granulated sugar.
- granulated sugar (1 cup): 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, or 1 cup packed light brown sugar, or 3/4 cup honey.
- brown sugar (1/2 cup): 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp. molasses.
- lemon juice (1 Tbsp.): 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar.
- chopped apples (1 cup): 1 cup chopped pears plus 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- double-acting baking powder (1 tsp.): 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar plus 1/4 tsp. baking soda.
- dark corn syrup (1 cup): 3/4 cup light corn syrup plus 1/4 cup molasses.
- dry bread crumbs (1 cup): 3/4 cup cracker crumbs or 1 cup corn flake crumbs.
- unsweetened chocolate (1 oz.): 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1 Tbsp. butter.
By Paula from Christmas, MI
By Persnickety Paula
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
Thanks for the tips I think they will diffentaly come in handy with all the cooking I do,Cheers :-)
Add your voice to the conversation.