Common Ingredient Substitutions

Category Substitutions
There are times that without a trip to the store, a missing recipe ingredient can be replaced. This page is about common recipe substitutions.

There have been times I wanted to tear my hair out because didn't have an ingredient at the last minute so here's my list of common ingredient substitutions that have worked for me in a pinch.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I run out of stuff a lot! I took recipe cards, wrote down substitutions that I can make up fast and taped them inside a kitchen cupboard door. Here are the ones I use a lot, others to follow!

• 1 Tbsp. cornstarch for thickening: 2 Tbsp. flour

• 1 cup fresh milk: 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 tsp. soda. In your recipe, decrease baking powder 2 tsp., if needed

• Sour Milk/ Buttermilk: 1 Tbsp. lemon juice of vinegar, 1 cup milk, stir and let stand for a couple of minutes.

• 1 square unsweetened chocolate (1 oz.): 3 Tbsp. cocoa plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil

• 1 cup honey: 11/4 cups sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid.

• 1 cup canned tomatoes: 1 and 1/3 cup diced fresh tomatoes, simmered about 10 minutes.

There you go! I also make up hints for gifts at bridal showers!

Source: My very old Betty Crocker cookbook

Harlean Greathouse

Have you ever started mixing ingredients for a recipe, get halfway through the list, and Uh-Oh, discover that you are out of an ingredient? Well, sometimes it is something that can safely be omitted.

Easy Substitution List. I keep this list inside my cookbook in case I am ever in a pinch for alternative ingredients. Easy Substitutions: If the recipe calls for: Cheese - cream cheese: cottage cheese blended with butter or milk.

Another question from an Aussie! Can someone please tell me what Mrs. Dash sauce is? We can't buy that here in Australia and I'm not sure what I could substitute. Would I be able to substitute a tomato or BBQ sauce?

Julie from Sydney, Australia

Answers

By Candy (Guest Post)

Mrs. Dash is known for salt free seasonings and also has marinades now. So you should be able to substitute another marinade. You could also check out www.mrsdash.com for a complete listing of their seasonings. Good luck!

Mrs. Dash is a brand name for salt-free seasoning mixes and sauces. You can see what flavors they have at www.mrsdash.com/ .

By (Guest Post)

Thank you for your responses! Lucky I didn't try tomato sauce if it's a seasoning mix! Ha ha - will have a look at the website. Thanks again!

I suspect she got the name because she used a Dash o' this and a Dash o' that!

Hi there Down Under! Ok, Mrs. Dash has a website, the "sauces" advertized are marinades > 6 varieties. Check them out.....they seem to be a combination of a number of herbs & spices, vinegars, veggie/meat stock, and some have tomatoe sauce in them. If you want a marinade for any meat try this:

1/2 cup BBQ sauce (spicey)
1/4 cup vinegar (white )
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Mix together well. Can be used as a marinade > let meat (any meat or chicken) marinate in the mixture for min 2 hrs (is the best left over night) covered in the refridgerator, remove meat & cook/bbq as desired.

OR
Cook meat in the sauce in a crockpot for 6-8 hrs, or bake in the oven in a casserole dish, 350 degrees
for 1 1/2 hrs.

Good Luck, and enjoy!

I love hot sauce, especially the Tabasco brand. I'm looking for a powdered substitute, that comes in a shaker type bottle like seasoning salt. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Woody from N.E. Alabama

Answers

A good base would be cayenne pepper. It would give you the heat, at least.

If you go to a chile site in New Mexico or one of the other southwestern states (Google chiles or chile powder) you'll be able to buy powdered chiles. If you buy some hot and some mild you will be able to mix them to make your own chile blend that can be mixed with cumin powder, garlic powder, oregano, whatever you want.

The cost may be more than Tabasco but it'll last longer than Tabasco (unless you're like me and end up putting it on everything).

There is one that I get from the local farmers market here in Flint, Michigan.
"It's called slap ya mama"
it can be purchased on-line @
slapyamama.com
It is awesome,there is 3 levels of hot, too.
They have a great cream cheese dip recipe also. Hope this is what your looking for.
You can e-mail me if you have a problem,
@ dah4301958 at aol.com

It is the time of year where the baking and cooking start and so I wanted to help. I am not sure where these came from but they sure come in handy. They were given to me and I thought they would help anybody who cooks because they have some conversions that they do not have on most charts and I have found to be very helpful. I really hope they will help you and can use them.

Ingredient Substitution List:

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMarch 10, 2013
😎
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Common-Ingredient-Substitutions-1.html