Substitution Shortcuts in the Kitchen
I run out of stuff a lot! I took recipe cards, wrote down substitutions that I can make up fast and taped them inside a kitchen cupboard door. Here are the ones I use a lot, others to follow!
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch for thickening: 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup fresh milk: 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 tsp. soda. In your recipe, decrease baking powder 2 tsp., if needed
- Sour Milk/ Buttermilk: 1 Tbsp. lemon juice of vinegar, 1 cup milk, stir and let stand for a couple of minutes.
- 1 square unsweetened chocolate (1 oz.): 3 Tbsp. cocoa plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey: 11/4 cups sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid.
- 1 cup canned tomatoes: 1 and 1/3 cup diced fresh tomatoes, simmered about 10 minutes.
There you go! I also make up hints for gifts at bridal showers!
Source: My very old Betty Crocker cookbook
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!