My Dogs Won't Eat Dog Food Only Human Food

I have a 1 year old miniature Jack Russel. She has already had her 1st season. (all fine). For a little while now my dog has gone off her food. She is still very active, still drinking, no loose poos, she might have a little every now and then, but not much.

As soon as she see the kids eating, she wants what they have or what we are eating. It is probably my own fault, for giving her some treats of our food. But it has gotten to the point where she refuses to eat her food because she wants our food! Can someone please help on what to do.

By Michelle from UK

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Do not give your dog human food, only their dog food that is how I get Jack to eat his dog food and I also have Border Collie.

Best Answer

I feed my dog "human food". Dogs were wild animals and ate meat, like we do. I make her a stew from meat (beef or chicken), potatoes and peas. I simmer it for a few hours until it is nice and tender, because she is 16 years old and likes soft foods. It smells delicious and has none of the preservatives store bought food has. The vet gave me some vitamins to give her, as she needs calcium, etc. and she is very healthy and very old! If you give your dog "human food", just make sure it isn't junk food like processed meats (wieners, sandwich meats, sausages, etc.) which we shouldn't be eating anyway!

We used to have a dog like that. But I found it quite easy to fool her. I put her dog food in a dish on the dining table. And when we were done eating I would scoop some of it onto my plate. Then, carrying the plate so she could see me, I would scrape it from my plate into her dish and she would promptly eat everything!

Okay my comment is to one the poster and two muttmom:

A dog will eat what it is given if not given anything else. Don't give in be strong and wait for your dog to eat its own food.

Then to muttmom: commercial dog food is not poison, yes some brands have very bad ingredients in them, and some brands have a lot of fillers in them (fillers being food with no nutritional value to them like corn) corn is not bad for a dog it is fiber it goes right through them. There are some really good brands on the market now that are organic, holistic, and limited ingredient which are really good for dogs, and are designed for their bodies needs. You talk of studying yet you don't research what you preach. You have to read both sides of everything.

My lhasa apso puppy is nearly 5months and over the past couple of weeks we thought we'd get her used to trying all different food, including ours - bad idea! it really is best to only ever feed them their own dog food as mine wouldn't touch her food instead waiting out for us to give her scraps meaning she was loosing weight. So I went to the pet shop to get advice and warned us not to give pedigree complete as it was like McDonald's so we started giving her James welbeloved.

However still no change and was still only eating 2tiny bowls a day while still begging for the food we eat.

So I started sitting with her whilst she ate and pretended to eat too, it sounds ridiculous but honestly worked! As she wants what we eat, every so often throughout the day I picked up her bowl and pretend to eat. Now I've got her eating 3 big bowls per day, which is a big difference. Routine helps and it's also best to rule out any medical problems, good luck! :)

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders
Dog Will Only Eat People Food
Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 31, 2010
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Sick pug at the vet.
Remedies for a Dog With Diarrhea
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 10:10:53 PM on 10.0.0.185 in 337 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.