What Makes A Dog A Pure Bred?

If I breed my smooth, short haired Dachshund with a long haired one, would it still be pure bred? When I bought her we were told that she is pedigree. What makes her a pedigree and how can we prove it? Thanks.

When you bred a smooth and long hair dachshund you can get a mix of smooth and LH pups. However, the LH pups may have shorter coats. A doxie is a doxie no matter whether you bred with a smooth, LH or wirehaired.

A purebred dog is generally one that is pure bred, meaning no other breed mixed in, but does not have "papers" from a recognized registry, such as the American Kennel Club (AKC).

Dogs sold as purebred typically cost less to purchase than dogs that come with papers. Many people won't bred their dog with your dog if their dog has papers and yours does not.

Hope this helps,

Long-time Doxie mom

Don't be fooled like I was about a pedigree. All that amounts to is proof of the parents of your pet. I fell for this when I bought a Dalmation.

I don't see how your pups would be purebred if you breed a shorthair with a longhair. Have you ever watched a dog show?

Your question tells me you don't know a lot about dogs of any breed. I suggest you get some books from the library and do some serious studying. Talk to your local Vets and maybe some breeders in your area. You sound as though you plan on breeding your dog. What we don't need is more dogs out there needing good homes. Please re-consider if this is your plan.

If the dog is a purebred with a pedigree it should have come wit6h papers from one of the kennel clubs. A pedigreed dog is one who's ancestry is known and documented through a kennel club. If the dog does not have papers, I would seriously doubt that it has a real pedigree. If you do get papers, you would then have to register the dog with the kennel club. the most common one is the American Kennel Club, though there are others.

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 12, 2008
Great Dane
Great Dane Breed Information and Photos
Mixed Breed Dog Photos and Information
Pit Bull
Is My Pit Bull Full Blooded?
Whippet Breed Information and Photos