Browsing: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

The hedge apple or Osage orange is said to have beneficial uses. This is a guide about what hedge apples are good for.

Photo of a hedge apple.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 13, 2009 Flag

There are no chemicals involved so I guess it's a green tip. If you have a problem with roaches, ants, mice, or other pests inside the house, gather some crab apples and place them around your basement, crawl space, and foundation of your house. My in-laws have done this for years and haven't even seen a trace of a pest or rodent.

By Tammy from Cookeville, TN

October 28, 2012 Flag

Are hedge apples OK to eat?

By William

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

No, it is an ornamental item, we use in the house for bug deterrent. Also known as horse apple and hedge balls here.

Best Answer

I use them whole every year. About 20 to 25 of them under the furniture and sink, in the closets. They do work, and they don't rot if you don't cut them. They just shrivel up. I got them last week and put them out. Never had gnats or any problem. Just use them whole.

Also good for pet orders in the house

I respectfully disagree. I freeze them scrape a little off ( about a table spoon ) each day. I'm certainly not making any medical claims. Been fighting various cancers most of my adult life. Since consuming hedge apples, no cancers have cropped up. 8 yrs! Proof is in the pudding, for me anyway. Not suggesting anything scientific here or recommending anything either. Word if caution, whether you decide to consume the seeds or fruit. The tree is in the rubber tree family. If you're allergic to latex, ( common allergy) you're allergic to hedge apples.

Read More Answers...

August 10, 2010 Flag

When collecting the hedge apples to use for cancer treatment, can you collect them from the tree or do you need to let them fall off first?

By Alharston from Scottsville, KY

Best Answer

Hedgeapples are not poisonous. However, Hedge apples have suffocated livestock by lodging in their esophagus. Very often a Hedge apple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange.

They are used in households to repel spiders. Each Hedge apple lasts about 2-3 months for this.

I do not know of any cancer use and in doing research did not come across any reference to that use.

Human consumption is not recommended and the contact with skin could bring various issues from itching, etc

Best Answer

We wait until they hit the ground. The thorns of the tree make it hard to actually pick them. They usually begin falling off in mid-September. We have two people we know of that have successfully used this for cancer treatment. The Amish suggested it first to a man with lymphoma. Another woman in Cartersville, GA has been told by her doctors that it is a miracle. The doctors, of course, can't condone the use of a natural treatment because they might be held responsible if it doesn't work.

There are several pages on the Internet about the use of hedge apples for treating cancer.

Best Answer

I became very interested in this topic because we had a patient that was eating the hedge apple because of what he heard from the Amish. He is now bleeding throughout his lungs and may not live. He did not tell anyone that he was using the hedge apple but it has messed up his clotting cascade and may not live. Feel it is very important for anyone to tell their doctor or family they are using it, in the event some problem arises. Please be careful.

I think this guy is talking about hedge apples not horse apples...

Read More Answers...

October 18, 2013 Flag

Do you cut the hedge apples in half before placing them around your house for pest control or leave them whole?

By Glenda from KS

Best Answer

You use them whole, but think long and hard before you do this! I did this as I don't like spiders and thought this method would be great as it doesn't involve chemicals. Well, what ended up happening was a ton of gnats came to visit, drawn to the hedge apples. :-( I won't do this again.

suppose to put them in dishes used them for years never got gnats!!

I pick hedge apples in the fall. They are also called Osage Orange and we live in Osage county Kansas. I put them on eBay and sell them.

I live in Mansfield Ohio and they are on my tree in the back yard. I use them to repel spiders yearly

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2013 Flag

I want to put hedge apples in my basement to repel rodents, spiders, and other pests, but I don't know how many to place down there. Do I put them in groups or singly scatter? Do I need 5 or 50? We have a basement that is around 1000 square ft.

By ERK from eastern IA

Best Answer

I cut up squares of pantyhose-they don't have to be big and cut the hedge apple in about an inch pieces, gather corner to corner and tie in knots. Place where you know spiders are, like behind doors, corners, out of reach of children and pets. They really work!

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about using hedge apples to repel spiders. Hedge apples have a long standing reputation as a spider repellent.

Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background

July 4, 2013 Flag

Is a crab apple the same thing as a hedge apple? I noticed in one of the comments someone mentioned crab apple. As a youngster in south Mississippi I remember crab apples. I want to remember that kids ate them, but I may be remembering wrong.

By Betty

They are not the same. Crab apples literally look like tiny apples on a tree. The hedge apples are big and greenish in color.

August 10, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for Hedge Apples?

October 13, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know what Hedge Apples are good for? I thought they were a spider deterrent?

Thanks,
Mary from LeRoy, IL

Answer:

What are hedge apples good for?

Mostly they are good to feed squirrels and other wild animals. Deer will eat them if they are starving.
There are some that swear by them as bug deterrents, but it takes a lot of them. They get in the way, and as they are an organic material, they will rot. Kids like to throw them at each other.

I saw a craft once using sliced hedge apples that were dried then painted, but it was hard to cut them and they weren't pretty enough to go to the trouble. (09/28/2006)

By Carla B

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 15, 2012
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:13:49 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.