Question

Share | Account | About
Share>Account>About>

What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Photo of a hedge apple.

The hedge apple or Osage orange is said to have beneficial uses. This is a guide about what hedge apples are good for.

Solutions: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Hedge Apples for Pest Repellent

There are no chemicals involved so I guess it's a green tip. If you have a problem with roaches, ants, mice, or other pests inside the house, gather some crab apples and place them around your basement, crawl space, and foundation of your house. My in-laws have done this for years and haven't even seen a trace of a pest or rodent.

By Tammy from Cookeville, TN

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to What Are Hedge Apples Good For?.

Question: Hedge Apples and Cancer

How do you prepare a hedge apple to eat for cancer treatment?

By Debbie from Halifax, VA

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.12/19/2013

Although you will find some people on here who say they cure cancer, you can rest assured that they do not. If they did, we would all be cancer free. Cancer is a complicated ailment, and is not just one disease. There are many, many wonderful treatments that have been developed. Please go to a doctor and be treated. Home remedies are no way to deal with serious illness.

Question: Medicinal Uses for Hedge Apples

Do hedge apples really cure cancer? And is it safe to eat them?

By Erica D

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.12/09/2013

I have no idea if hedge apples are eatable, but there certainly do not cure cancer. I doubt that they have any medicinal uses at all. Forget the whole idea.

Question: Using Hedge Apples to Repel Spiders

I want to put hedge apples in my basement to repel rodents, spiders, and other pests, but I don't know how many to place down there. Do I put them in groups or singly scatter? Do I need 5 or 50? We have a basement that is around 1000 square ft.

By ERK from eastern IA

Question: Using Hedge Apples for Pest Control

Do you cut the hedge apples in half before placing them around your house for pest control or leave them whole?

By Glenda from KS

Most Recent Answer

By kerly8710/20/2013

You use them whole, but think long and hard before you do this! I did this as I don't like spiders and thought this method would be great as it doesn't involve chemicals. Well, what ended up happening was a ton of gnats came to visit, drawn to the hedge apples. :-( I won't do this again.

Question: Crab Apple vs Hedge Apple

Is a crab apple the same thing as a hedge apple? I noticed in one of the comments someone mentioned crab apple. As a youngster in south Mississippi I remember crab apples. I want to remember that kids ate them, but I may be remembering wrong.

By Betty

Most Recent Answer

By hatten.ma11/03/2013

They are not the same. Crab apples literally look like tiny apples on a tree. The hedge apples are big and greenish in color.

Question: Can You Eat Hedge Apples?

Are hedge apples OK to eat?

By William

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine S.11/05/2012

I agree with Grandma, we call them Hedge Apples or Osage Orange. The idea that they help to keep bugs away from your home is a misnomer though. Google it, you will find it is not true.

Question: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

When collecting the hedge apples to use for cancer treatment, can you collect them from the tree or do you need to let them fall off first?

By Alharston from Scottsville, KY

Most Recent Answer

By Vickie08/28/2010

I became very interested in this topic because we had a patient that was eating the hedge apple because of what he heard from the Amish. He is now bleeding throughout his lungs and may not live. He did not tell anyone that he was using the hedge apple but it has messed up his clotting cascade and may not live. Feel it is very important for anyone to tell their doctor or family they are using it, in the event some problem arises. Please be careful.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What are hedge apples good for?

Does anyone know what Hedge Apples are good for? I thought they were a spider deterrent?

Thanks,
Mary from LeRoy, IL

Answer:

RE: What are hedge apples good for?

Mostly they are good to feed squirrels and other wild animals. Deer will eat them if they are starving. There are some that swear by them as bug deterrents, but it takes a lot of them. They get in the way, and as they are an organic material, they will rot. Kids like to throw them at each other.

I saw a craft once using sliced hedge apples that were dried then painted, but it was hard to cut them and they weren't pretty enough to go to the trouble. (09/28/2006)

By Carla B

Archive: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

Does anyone have any ideas for Hedge Apples? I picked a bunch from some trees in the country. I've heard they will repel spiders. Any craft ideas? Are they poisonous? Excited to find out.

Thanks!

Sharon from Stockham, NE

RE: What are hedge apples good for?

Also known as OSAGE ORANGE. (10/13/2008)

By Diana

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

I love the color and texture of hedge apples and want a few to put in a bowl or basket for decoration. I didn't know deer fed on them - that's a new one, but I knew they rot. (10/13/2008)

By melody_yesterday

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

I've learned at the University of Washington Burke Museum site and elsewhere, that neither osage orange nor horse chestnuts can 'repel' spiders, which have no sense of smell anyway. The spiders in houses were nearly all born there. (10/13/2008)

By peseta

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

They are really not good for much of anything. They are inedible for humans. Not poisonous, but so fibrous that they can clog the throat and cause choking. The "juice" is irritating to the skin of some people and can cause burning and itching.

I tried slicing some and drying them in the oven for using in natural dried flower arrangements. I have to agree it is not worth the trouble. On the other hand, I like the bright green color and interesting texture. To maybe put in a bright orange bowl for a temporary, unusual centerpiece. (10/13/2008)

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

Well, they've always helped keep the spider population in my house almost non-existent. When we moved in, over three years ago, I had constantly battled daddy-long legs in the basement. After three years of placing hedge apples around the basement every fall, I rarely see a spider. They work for me! (10/14/2008)

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

They do repel spiders BUT when they start turning brown you need to throw them away because they start smelling worse than a skunk spraying. (10/14/2008)

By castleberrycc

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

I know the wood from the tree is sometimes used in making bows. (10/22/2008)

By Barb

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

This will come as a major surprise to the medical community, but I have personal knowledge that the hedge-apple is an alternative cancer treatment. I personally know 3 people who are now cancer free after using 1 teaspoon per day for only 1 month. It isn't poisonous. In my opinion, it's a miracle from GOD. (11/07/2008)

By Judy M.

RE: What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

I just heard about them stopping cancer, too. A friend personally knows 3 people who had 3 different types of cancer - all cured. One was skin cancer so they rubbed the hedge apple on their skin. And yes, they make excellent bows. My father has carved many, many bows from the wood. He calls them bowdark trees. (12/14/2008)

By anne