What Are Hedge Apples Good For?

The hedge apple or Osage orange is said to have beneficial uses. This is a guide about what hedge apples are good for.

April 13, 2009 Flag

There are no chemicals involved so I guess it's a green tip. If you have a problem with roaches, ants, mice, or other pests inside the house, gather some crab apples and place them around your basement, crawl space, and foundation of your house. My in-laws have done this for years and haven't even seen a trace of a pest or rodent.

By Tammy from Cookeville, TN

I have been researching this topic myself recently, and there may be another reason for the trees on your property. Apparently, before the invention of barbed wire, it was common for these trees to be planted close together in rows to act as fencing for livestock. Essentially, it was barbed wire before barbed wire was invented! If your trees are planted close enough to be an effective fence, that's probably the reason. But who knows? Maybe they were planted there to ward off insect swarms from that direction. I'm in Garland County Arkansas have been trying to find a decent insect repellent. When I lived in Montgomery County Arkansas ( part of the area to which these trees are native) I also noticed a low concentration of annoying insects. I'm strongly considering heading out to the old property and asking the new owners if I can dig up a few of the young trees!

I don't think it's an old wives tale. We gather several "apples" from a neighbor and place them around the exterior of our house and have no problems. We were a little late getting them this year and the black wolf spiders and stink bugs were horrible. Now, no bugs.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/nebline/hedgeapple.htm

will these horse apples repel fleas

October 28, 2012 Flag

Are hedge apples OK to eat?

By William

Best Answer

No, it is an ornamental item, we use in the house for bug deterrent. Also known as horse apple and hedge balls here.

Best Answer

I use them whole every year. About 20 to 25 of them under the furniture and sink, in the closets. They do work, and they don't rot if you don't cut them. They just shrivel up. I got them last week and put them out. Never had gnats or any problem. Just use them whole.

Have been reading about the horse apple is suppose to be good for Cancer ! I am not a professional but it might be worth looking in to if it's true ! And we always were told growing up that they were poisonous ! God put them here for a reason !!

Yes, people have been drying them and making pills and tinctures to help fight colds and boost immune system. Some people freeze them and grate off a tablespoon and mix it with honey and take it when they feel like a cold is coming on and then put what's left wrapped up in the freezer. Amazing stuff. Some even say it helps with fighting Cancer

October 18, 2013 Flag

Do you cut the hedge apples in half before placing them around your house for pest control or leave them whole?

By Glenda from KS

Best Answer

You use them whole, but think long and hard before you do this! I did this as I don't like spiders and thought this method would be great as it doesn't involve chemicals. Well, what ended up happening was a ton of gnats came to visit, drawn to the hedge apples. :-( I won't do this again.

I live in Mansfield Ohio and they are on my tree in the back yard. I use them to repel spiders yearly

They are all over missiouri

Did you ever get some ?

August 10, 2010 Flag

When collecting the hedge apples to use for cancer treatment, can you collect them from the tree or do you need to let them fall off first?

By Alharston from Scottsville, KY

Best Answer

Hedgeapples are not poisonous. However, Hedge apples have suffocated livestock by lodging in their esophagus. Very often a Hedge apple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange.

They are used in households to repel spiders. Each Hedge apple lasts about 2-3 months for this.

I do not know of any cancer use and in doing research did not come across any reference to that use.

Human consumption is not recommended and the contact with skin could bring various issues from itching, etc

Best Answer

We wait until they hit the ground. The thorns of the tree make it hard to actually pick them. They usually begin falling off in mid-September. We have two people we know of that have successfully used this for cancer treatment. The Amish suggested it first to a man with lymphoma. Another woman in Cartersville, GA has been told by her doctors that it is a miracle. The doctors, of course, can't condone the use of a natural treatment because they might be held responsible if it doesn't work.

There are several pages on the Internet about the use of hedge apples for treating cancer.

Best Answer

I became very interested in this topic because we had a patient that was eating the hedge apple because of what he heard from the Amish. He is now bleeding throughout his lungs and may not live. He did not tell anyone that he was using the hedge apple but it has messed up his clotting cascade and may not live. Feel it is very important for anyone to tell their doctor or family they are using it, in the event some problem arises. Please be careful.

I am 62 yrs old and have always heard them called hedge apples. I used to pick them all the time for my mom and two aunts to put around the house.

October 27, 2013 Flag

I want to put hedge apples in my basement to repel rodents, spiders, and other pests, but I don't know how many to place down there. Do I put them in groups or singly scatter? Do I need 5 or 50? We have a basement that is around 1000 square ft.

By ERK from eastern IA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I cut up squares of pantyhose-they don't have to be big and cut the hedge apple in about an inch pieces, gather corner to corner and tie in knots. Place where you know spiders are, like behind doors, corners, out of reach of children and pets. They really work!

It is a myth that they repel insects. Although they do have chemicals that help repel insects the concentration of those chemicals is by far to low to have any effect.

maybe not too low if you are a tiny bug

May 4, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about using hedge apples to repel spiders. Hedge apples have a long standing reputation as a spider repellent.

Whole and sliced Hedge Apples (Maclura pomifera) also known as Osage Oranges against a white background

September 12, 2016 Flag

I know I read that hedge apples last 2 to 3 mo., how can you make them last all year?

July 4, 2013 Flag

Is a crab apple the same thing as a hedge apple? I noticed in one of the comments someone mentioned crab apple. As a youngster in south Mississippi I remember crab apples. I want to remember that kids ate them, but I may be remembering wrong.

October 13, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

August 10, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for Hedge Apples?

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 15, 2012
Pruning a Hedge
Pruning a Hedge
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
🎉
🎄