Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Sharpie on Microfiber Couch

I love the tips for cleaning regular ink and other stains off microfiber furniture, but my 2 year old got a hold of a Sharpie. Not a regular sharpie, an INDUSTRIAL cannot be removed Sharpie. Any suggestions for that?

Dish soap, Magic Eraser, alcohol, baby wipes, even Clorox wipes have done nothing. It is not on the cushion, it is on the arm of the sofa, so I can't even remove the cover to wash. Please help. I only had the sofa for a month before he marked his territory.

Eileen from Norton, MA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Gina10/22/2009

I just had this happen to a light cream micro couch and a light brown one, and my son but whose worried about him right now! lol. Sprayed all the sharpie spots down with hairspray then started using a nail brush on the white one because I figured it would take the most to get out. Hairspray was working great but ran out so i used rubbing alcohol. i put it in a spray bottle and sprayed all the sharpie spots again.I used the brush and it worked good too.

It was still there but it was coming out. It did start to "bleed" but those parts came up a lot easier so don't worry! I fig. the white couch was ruined anyway so I tried spraying clorox clean-up on the spots still there. then took the nail brush to it again and then used plain water and the spot bot. it came right out. With the brown couch I realized if I let the rubbing alcohol dry a little bit it came out better.

Don't use water on the sharpie spots I found they wouldn't come out as good. as its drying I can see spots showing again so I'm sure I'll have to do this like 10 more times! Oh! and wear rubber gloves-I was so worried about getting out the stains I didn't and my hands are so dry they're bleeding! Hope this helps! (haven't even worried about the kid yet! lol hope dawn works!)

By john03/19/2009

Over the past couple of months, I've been working with my brother and sister-in-law to design their home and it has been so fun. It's really coming together; only a few accent pieces to go. The major items we added were a new sofa and area rug. The very ones featured in the pic above from CB2.

Last Tuesday, about a week after the sofa was delivered, I got a call from Erin and her voice was shaking. Apparently, her darling 2 year old (really, he's darling) had just written all over the couch with Sharpies. (Why were there Sharpies hanging around, you ask? Erin, like all mothers, is diligent about hiding the Sharpies. This was a total freak accident and not even worth explaining.)

I immediately called everyone I knew with micro suede furniture and had them call Erin with cleaning instructions and the instructions were universal: just scrub it. Just scrub and scrub and scrub and it will come out.

Amazingly, it worked. There is no sign of the Sharpie. I was there and participated in the scrubbing and am a witness that micro suede is the ultimate "family" fabric.

I am way impressed. I have a friend that used hairspray, but unnecessarily. A damp rag and elbow grease work best!

By Jamie (Guest Post)01/13/2009

My daughter wrote all over my brown microfiber sectional with black Sharpie pen. Another website suggested Denatured alcohol. It has worked quite well, and now I wish I would've waited on the hairspray. The alcohol in the hairspray helped a lot too, but left a residue that I am still working to get out. The denatured alcohol (from the hardware store) leaves no residue. It is flammable, so use as little as possible (I applied with a kids paintbrush), but it works.

By Malinda (Guest Post)10/10/2008

I had about ten blue sharpie in spots on my couch, and I put everything you could think of on it to try to remove them, nothing work: until I came here. Thanks to whoever said ALCOHOL and cotton balls. I just dabbed them with alcohol until they came right out. Thank you again!

By Debbie (Guest Post)09/18/2008

I just did it. A little alcohol in a Q-Tip took the pen right out.

By (Guest Post)04/10/2008

Try hairspray.

By Brook (Guest Post)04/06/2008

My son scribbled all over our couch with a Sharpie. I figured time was not my friend and wanted to act fast without running to the store. I tried the toothpaste suggestion because it sounded just crazy enough to work, and it did! I grabbed Crest Whitening out of the bathroom and it removed 99% of the pen marks. You can still faintly see it where the weave pattern includes a shiny thread, but quite the miracle just the same. Plus the couch smells nice and minty.

By Mary, Crown Point, In (Guest Post)03/31/2008

I was with my son when he purchased his microfiber furniture. The salesman SHOWED us how to remove Sharpie on the sample. He just used regular rubbing alcohol. He just poured it on the marks he made and it took it right out.

By barbara calfee03/24/2008

After testing for color fastness, try nail polish remover - it takes permanent marker off of dry erase marker pads and does a lot of other cool stuff. JUST DON'T INHALE!! YOU COULD ALSO CALL THE MANUFACTURER I'm just sure you're not the first with this problem.

Good Luck - Sharpies are so good for so many things and then there's that little draw back!!

By Beth [25]03/13/2008

I had success using Oxy Clean to get Sharpie out of a sofa. It wasn't mircofiber, but it did work on whatever fabric it was.

By Dianna (Guest Post)03/13/2008

Try using toothpaste, possibly the ones with baking soda! It has taking out markers when nothing else would.