Add Oil to Pasta Water

To keep pasta from sticking to pot, add 1 tsp. of cooking oil to boiling water.

By Lily from Creswell, OR

Just stir the pasta occasionally to keep it from sticking. No need to add oil. Pasta sticks if the water temp gets too low and doesn't stay at a boil.

It does help pasta a little but I took a cooking class while in Italy and they said you should not do this because it coats the pasta and the sauce cannot stick as well either.

I agree with not adding oil to the water. Your sauce will not stick to the pasta if you do.

Oh my how many people do this and it is just wrong, even Emeril tells people to do this. The main reason pasta sticks is because most people do not use enough water. Make sure the pasta has room to move around in the pot you use and stir it occasionally. The only thing you need to add to the water is salt. I also agree it will not allow the sauce to stick and please even though it is not mentioned, do not rinse your pasta.

December 27, 2010 Flag

A little oil added to the water will help prevent your pasta from sticking together or to the bottom of the pan as it cooks!

By Robin

Add a Little Oil to Pasta

Robin, this does help with the pasta not sticking together but I have found that when I do this, the sauce slides off of the pasta; it does not want to stick to the pasta. I wonder if there are any remedies to keep the sauce on the pasta?

By Rio Lady

Putting oil on Pasta.

When you put oil on pasta it keeps it from boiling over and helps to keep clumps from forming. I do it all the time when I am cooking for my family! Try it, it works.

Hope it works! (02/18/2008)

By Ms. Banana

Cooking Pasta in a Stockpot
Cooking Pasta
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsDecember 28, 2010
Homemade gluten free pasta.
Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway