What is the Best Environment for Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mixes?

When we think of environment we tend to think of the climate regarding weather. However when choosing a dog breed or mix, environment can also include the make up of your household, the size of the yard, and time available to spend with your new pet. Read about others' experiences regarding the best environment for these intelligent dogs.

What is the best environment for Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Dog Mixes? Here is advice from the ThriftyFun community.

Answers:

Desert Is Not The Best Climate For These Dogs

We live in the desert and had Siberian Husky & Black Lab mix. He was always so hot. He'd dig in the dirt to try to get cool. While he hated water, when he'd get really, really hot, he'd go stand in his huge water bucket we had, not lie down, but just stand in it. His digging in the soil was what ended his life as he contracted "Valley Fever", a respiratory disease. We had to put him down, almost 5 years ago, now. While he was a lot of joy to us, I'd not get that breed of dog again, while living here in the desert, I would if we lived in a cooler climate.

By badwater

High Energy Dogs

Huskies are very high energy dogs so if you're not a jogger or plan to do agility, anything to keep them constantly busy, I'd go with a different dog. Shepherds are very intelligent and need brain stimulation too. If you're laid back go with a Golden Retriever mix. They are very happy just hanging around. Of course that's depending on what they're mixed with. You can tell their disposition by interacting with them. And a shelter is full of great dogs just waiting for you!

By Vicki

Lots Of Play Time

Hello, we own the same breed of dog and I agree that they need lots of play time and are very smart.

By Leaky

Lots Of Room

As far as the best environment goes, I would have to say that you definitely need a fairly large, fenced in yard at the very least. We have an acre lot fenced in and Jackson seems to love it. He is able to really get up a lot of speed as he runs laps when he is playing with us. Also, Jackson loves to dig, but it's been a year now and he doesn't seem interested in digging to get out of the fence. He just digs for the sheer enjoyment of digging. I am constantly filling in holes that he may dig anywhere in the yard. He also really loves going to the local dog park and running with the other dogs there. This type of environment seems to keep him happy as we do not have the time or stamina to take him for long walks or exercise runs.

By JacksonBrowne

Good With Kids

I have a 6 month old Husky/Shepard mix and she is 50 lbs. She is very energetic and lovable, she needs lot of attention stimulation and running room:) Plus she is a wonderful dog for my 2 year old son and she is very loving and protective of him (07/13/2005)

By kim

Advice From An Owner

I rescued a dog that I am told is German Shepherd and Husky. I typed German Shepherd/Husky mix into the search bar and was happily surprised that such a site existed. My dog is guessed to be 2 yrs old and she ways 65 pounds. Her coat is fluffy and very soft and her personality is sweet and playful. She is also a bit wild and hyper.

We live in the valley, too. Everything we have read has told us not to shave long haired breeds in the summer, so we haven't. She has a doggie door and comes in whenever she wants and always has fresh water available. Valley fever is a threat here to pets and humans, but it can be successfully treated with anti-fungal medication. I am sorry to hear about the dog above who got ill.

By Kim

Memories Of Lucy

I live in the Kansas City area. I've had dogs all my life of various mixes. Our last dog, Lucy, who we lost to stomach cancer, was absolutely the most loving, intelligent, and loyal dog we have ever owned. She was a German Shepherd/Husky mix. She was overweight at about 65 to 70 lbs. Size can vary and depends on many, many factors, the first being gender of course.

Our veterinarian told us when we bought Lucy that this mix is extremely intelligent and he was right. They can just about learn anything very quickly. I'd almost bet you could teach one to drive a car!

By KCKID

Top Comment

I just wanted to post a pic of our beauty we rescued from our local humaine society. Her name is Jewel and she is a holy terror, but we love her to bits!

Top Comment

My buddy got me a connection to one of these beautiful dogs, and I've been in love ever since. My pup Izzie is about 5 months now. She was the runt of the litter but she already weighs about 40 lbs. I agree with everyone else - these dogs need plenty of space to run and play, but they are one of the most intelligent dogs ever. At 5 months, Izz already knows sit, stay, lay down, and shake. She is also potty trained, crate trained, and knows what is hers to chew on and what isnt. She is also incredible affectionate. I get a huge welcome every time I come home. :] I live in TN, so I'm a bit worried about the heat to come in the summer, but as of right now, she's perfectly happy.

I have a 1 yr old male Husky/German shepherd mix. I know both parents of my boy Oscar. Dad was 110lbs German Shepherd. I want to breed him so I can have a son of his. Please let me know if you're interested. He is 85lbs @ 1yr. Big boy and smart and a lover! Please e-mail me @ dollfinn63 AT yahoo.com. I am in Orlando.

I just had to mention that I saw on this that someone feeds their dog grapes and recommends it as a treat. Do NOT do this! Grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs and cause severe illness if enough is ingested, including renal failure. I have no idea why so many people think it's ok but it is not. See for yourself: http://www.snop  ader/raisins.asp

@ mhmmmkatysrad. Your puppy resembles mine! Here's a picture of him with his German shepherd/husky mix Dad 'Samson'. His Dame was also a German shepherd/husky mix yet they looked so different. Say hi to 'Wolfie' :-) To back up what everyone else has said, he's mega intelligent and has already learned more than 6 tricks at age 11 weeks. He goes in moods, sighing if he doesn't get your undivided attention, and wakes me up in the morning by placing his head under mine, flipping me up and then lying on the pillows haha. Amazing dog

I had been traveled to another town by the underground, the train and the bus to buy Renji for 100$. His mother is the Shepherd from the military kennel, and his father is the blue eyed black-and-white Siberian Husky. Renji don't like to bark, likes to play with the ball, to jump over the barriers, to swim and likes snow. He's socialized with other dogs and all transport, he likes children and all people very much (so he can't protect me at all) and is very obedient, always walks off leash (where it's allowed) and never run away like purebred Huskies. Now he's 2.5 years old.

We have a 13 week old German Shepherd Siberian Husky, Dasha. According to our trainer, she's a pup with an attitude! We have to take different approaches to training with her as she finds all of the usual training methods humorous and almost laughs at us as we try to correct her bad behavior.

She's learning to respect us, though, and knows many commands already! She loves to test people that watch her for us. She'll do things with them she never does with us! And if she gets away with it, even once - she'll do it over and over and over. She's too smart for her own good.

We take her on at least 3 walks a day, she already fetches her ball, and she loves going out to pet stores. She wants to jump into everyone's lap and say "Hi!." She's a lot of work, but we love her to death and are willing to put the time and effort into her to make her into a wonderful dog. We live in Colorado, so we're hoping she'll enjoy camping and hiking up 14,000 foot mountains with me and my husband!

Hi, This is Jake :)

I am living in Spain (from the UK) and I rescued this big guy a couple of months ago! He's now 9 months but this picture was taken about a month ago! He's huge and keeps growing FAST! I was told at the pound, he was a German Shepperd mix. I came across some German Shepperd/husky cross pics and couldn't help but notice some of them looked like his long lost brother or sister. What do you guys think?

Stacie

Northern breed Dogs should never live in sub-tropical climates.

Anonymous

Oliver was 12 years old and suffered a stroke 2 years ago. As know and prone to developing hip problems in shepherds Oliver too suffered hip problems yesterday he wandered off our 29 acres I presume die in peace as some dogs are inclined to do. He did not partake of a final meal. He just said his goodbyes and left us. I wept like a baby and still am. I miss him immensely. I'll not replace him, as he was more than a companion but rather a very loyal and trusted friend. Goodbye my friend, my Oliver.