What Causes Itchy Ears in Dogs?

My dog has been licking my younger dog's ears. Now they are itchy and my younger dog keeps shaking his head. Is the licking causing a problem?

By Annie from Brunswick, GA

Sounds like ear mites. Your local vet or possibly even a farm or feed store will have meds for their ears that will kill the mites. If left untreated, they can cause infection and itch, burn and be rather uncomfortable.

Ear mites is highly probable, a few drops of olive oil in their ears should take care of that.... It could be as simple as dirty ears though, just like us they get a wax build up from time to time. Just like us, you can clean their ears out with Q- tips, but be careful, your dogs will let you know if it hurts.

If the ears smell there is an infection (yeast) some people put human yeast med. in the ears and it helped, I had to take my dog to the vet he scratched so hard he broke the cartilage in one ear now it does not stand up like the other, and he does not hear as well. The Dr. put a smelly Vaseline type of goop (BNT) in a syringe in his ears and I had to put 3 more every 3 days till they were cleared up. And I feed him yogurt (3tbs.) daily.

Hope this helps.

My mom has 2 dogs who are 5 year old brothers. One of them has long, very furry ears (the other one's ears are shorter) & he gets infections in them very easily (can't remember if it's yeast or what, probably yeast). My mom always knows when he's getting an infection, because the brother starts licking/cleaning his ears all the time - even before there is a smell or itch. At 1st, my mom thought it was the licking causing the infections, but the vet said that he is just smelling it before she can.

Ear mites could be the problem but from what you have said it could also be due to your dog having a reaction to your other dog licking his ears, making them itch, scratching them and they could have become infected from the scratching. You could try bathing them with warm water and a clean tissue then applying an antiseptic cream (suitable for dogs). If this doesn't help, don't waste time, visit your vet as eardrops may be needed to clear it up. Itching ears can make life very miserable for your dog. Hope this helps, good luck to both of you. P.s. My dog suffers with her ears itching and I have to keep a close eye on them at all times and act as soon as I notice her shaking her head.

The older dog has been trying to help the younger one. Please talk to your veterinarian about this.

Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Pets Dogs HealthMay 3, 2011
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
🎄