Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Many pet owners with certain breed dogs are dismayed when their puppy's ears don't stand up as expected. This is a guide about puppy's ears don't stand up.

When should I expect my 11 week Yorkshire's ears to come up? I've seen other yorkies with their ears up at 9 weeks but mines aren't up yet. I've seen the parents and their ears are up and the breeder also said his ears would go up, but when?

By J from Fresno, CA

Answers

Best Answer

My mother used to breed Yorkies, and from my experience with hers, they will probably stand up on their own in a few months.

Just remember one thing. Neither your dog or his ears have ever read any books on when to do what. So they do it when they are ready, and not before. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but it's true! LOL Just be patient and his ears will come up when they are ready. And even if they don't, droopy ears won't make him any less lovable or cute!

Best Answer

I tried taping my lil girls ears for 2 days at a time for about 2 weeks and the longest her ears stood up was for about 4 hours then they went down and you know what?....after seeing her with her ears up I though she was so much cuter with her ears down she's my lil princess I love her!

Best Answer

We have a purebred Belgian Malinois ( they look like a smaller German Shepherd)that's nearly three years old and whose ears stand up, only once in a while.

When she was little, the DH was concerned--like GSD's, the Mals ears usually stand up by around four months. We asked the vet, is it cartilage damage, or nutrition, or is something otherwise wrong?

The answer we got is that in any breed, there's always that one pup who will defy the standard and is otherwise conforming and healthy, and just doesn't hold up its ears.

So your furbaby may or may not end up with standing ears. Chances are it might, but like a child at its own pace. When a kid is three years old, does it matter if it walked at 11 months when its cousin walked at 10?

As long as your dog is healthy and happy. Love it as is. I think the floppy ears give our gal a little...character!

I have a 41/2month old male German Shepherd/Husky mix. Is there any way of knowing if his ears are going to go up his father's are up? One of his brothers has one up, but his are still floppy. When he's laying down they point strait out. Is this any indication just wondering? I heard it can take up to a year before they stand up. Thanks.

By mike

Answers

My German Shepherd/Husky mix dog never did have stand up ears. I thought about that, too, when he was little.

Don't know the answer but he is just beautiful the way he is.

Tessy is three months old and her ears are not standing yet. I don't know why. Please what can I do?

Answers

I have a shepherd who is a year old, and her ears are also like this. I don't think it is a bad thing, unless you are breeding them.

It can take up to a year for a
Shepherd dog's ears to stand up. Most other purebreds have ears standing up at 6 months. You still have plenty of time

I have a 2 month old Belgian Malinois. His ears are standing up, but I've noticed that the tip part of his ear is flipping backwards. What will I do? Should I tape it or not?

By Zyra M. from Philippines, Davao City

Answers

Anonymous

I doubt very much that he cares if his ear does that or not so just leave it alone. Besides it adds to his overall individual character ;-)

When my dachshund was this age his ears were doing this. I spent hours online trying to figure out what to do about it because they looked so weird. Never did figure out what was causing it or what to do about it but after a few months his ear were normal. More than likely that will happen with your dog.

I have a six month old German Shepherd. Her name is Tessy. When she was four months old both ears were floppy, but now that she is six months old, in the morning her ears will be both standing, but in the afternoon they go floppy. Please what does this mean?

Answers

It probably just means the ears are getting stronger. Here are a couple of links about ears:

http://www.pedi  herd-s-ears.aspx

http://leerburg.com/tapingears.htm

My 12 week old Chihuahua has ears that don't stand up. With my 12yr. one I can't remember, we got her at 6wks. Will they have the little points on the tops of them?

By Cathy

Answers

Quite simply, not all chihuahua ears "stand up". Whether or not, or even how, is specifically related to genetics and is explained in the article below.

http://www.petc  m/chihuahua-ears

My tea cup Chau's ears will not stand up. Her siblings' ears are standing. How long will it take? She is 10 weeks old.

By Cindy

Answers

My chihuahua ears didnt stand up untill he was like 5 months. Just give it some time. Now if I can get my male dog to lift his leg when he pees, haha :) .

I have a 3 month old Bull Terrier. How old do you think they should be when their ears stand up on their own? Does massaging them help or do I have to tape them?

By c w

I just got a new German Shepherd/Husky mix puppy in the last 2 weeks. He is 9 weeks old, but his ears are still so floppy. No part of his ears are standing up. Does anyone have any idea if his ears will stand up some day soon?

Abbie from Webster, TX

Feedback:

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Most dog breeds that appear to have standing ears usually require taping (ie Dobermans, Boxers, etc.) when they are puppies -- it's extremely painful for the puppies and tiresome for the owners. Some breeds that have ears that stand on their own, will likely stand on their own. I used to have a German Shepherd cross who's ears would perk up sometimes. I think your little puppy is perfect just as he/she is. (04/30/2008)

By Christene

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Well from what I know, your puppy's ears may or may not stand up. Because German Shepherd's ears have to be cropped as a puppy to stand up, and a Husky's ears will stand up at about 6 to 10 months old. So having a mix, it's hard to say. (04/30/2008)

By melissa

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

A friend of mine raises Shepherds and every once in awhile she has to tape or glue the ears, but if your puppy is only 9 weeks old it's way too young yet. Gluing isn't advised until about 4 months or so. Just give him some time and they will most likely come up on their own. By the way, he's a beauty! I had a Shepherd/Husky mix once too. She lived to be almost 15 years old. Wonderful dogs! Good luck with him. (04/30/2008)

By marisa

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

My husband is a veterinarian and he says maybe by 4 months. When you whistle or call to him do the ears jump up at all? That's a sign that they will some day. (04/30/2008)

By Judi

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

If this is a Shepherd/Husky do not tape, glue, or certainly do not crop. Some dogs that usually have stand up ears will have what is called a gouch ear (doesn't stand up). I had a Shepherd that had one gouch ear and one stand up ear as a puppy. I massaged the muscle at the base of his ear several times day (for quite a while), that seemed to strengthen the muscle and the ear stood up just like the other one.

PS: From the picture you sent it, looks like your pup might also have a little hound in him. If so, the ears might not stand up. So just rub his ears, love him a lot (he is cute) and hope for the best. (05/01/2008)

By C. R.

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Some breeds require your vet or breeder to crop their ears, to make them stand up. Not all breeds' ears stand up automatically. I personally feel, cropping the ears or tails for that matter is unnecessary. Love them for the way God made them. (05/02/2008)

By KJ

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Oh, he is so cute! Even if his ears never stand up. I love dogs with floppy ears. (05/02/2008)

By dayzfan

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have had non-stop German Shepherds forever as pets. Each pup is different in when and how the erectile tissue forms to stand those ears up. They are not cropped or taped. The white on your pup's chest indicates a mixed breed so you may end up with one, two, or no ears standing up. Be patient and love that little darling for who he is. (05/03/2008)

By Carol W.

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Try making sure that he gets enough calcium. Sometimes that helps. But like others have said, they may not ever stand up. And he is awesome no matter what his ears do. Love him unconditionally like he does you! :) (05/05/2008)

By Chihuahua Mom

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Your puppy is adorable. If you are sure he's a Shepherd/Husky and no other mix, his ears should stand up regardless of how long it takes. I have had full blooded German Shepherds for many years. Some of them had ears up right away, and some took so long I began to wonder even though the vet said, "Don't worry". Some have to grow into their ears. I noticed this with my leaner, taller ones. Ears don't matter with a wonderful dog unless you need a certain breed for a certain reason or intend to show them. Enjoy your cute puppy. (05/08/2008)

By Nan Corpe

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

This is an updated picture from the subject's picture. I named him Wolfie. He is a 10 week old puppy now. He is a cute little puppy. Thank you all for giving advice and giving out information. (05/09/2008)

By abbie.n

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have a Husky/Shepherd mix. His ears didn't stand up until he was about 6 months old. He partially lifted one ear, then the other. Then he fully lifted the first ear, then the second one came. He looked so cute! You have such a cute pup! (05/22/2008)

By veronica

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have a Husky/Shepherd mix and her ears didn't stand up all the way until she was about 8 months old, but they started when she was 5 months. It was so cute for her to have one ear up and the other was almost all the way standing up. (11/23/2008)

By Amanda F.