Making Replacement Pads for a Swiffer

You can make these pads; even wash and reuse them to save you money on buying the disposable ones. This is a guide about making replacement pads for a Swiffer.

young woman holding a Swiffer style mop
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 10, 2014 Flag

I use old T-shirts and sweatshirts to make replacement pads for my Swiffer Sweeper. I just cut rectangles large enough to fit around the Sweeper. Make sure you have enough left to poke into the holes that hold it in place. I use the rest of the shirts, sleeves and all, as dust rags. They can be washed or discarded.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 8, 2010 Flag

I recently made a Swiffer Cozy for my Swiffer to replace the dry Swiffer cloths I buy. I think it qualifies as the ugliest Swiffer Cozy ever, but it used up leftover yarn I had and, it is very functional.

I just measured the size of the bottom of the swiffer, and crocheted enough to cover that space, then added the top sides to go over the edges; making one side smaller than the other, so as to be able to slip it on easily. While it is ugly, it works great!

Best of all, when I am done, I shake off the dirt, toss it into the wash, and I do not have to keep buying the swiffer cloths and tossing them into the trash.

I hope to also make a mopping pad for my Clorox ReadyMop; using either cotton yarn or by sewing one with different materials.

By hoptownracer1 from USA

January 31, 2008 Flag

Using a wet Swiffer mop can get expensive with the wet replacement towels that cost about $4.00 for a dozen. It adds up really fast! To combat that, I decided to try using some old thin bath towels cut to size.

I dampen them them with a cleaning solution of about 2 Tbsp. Murphy's oil soap to 2 quarts water, place them on the mop as I would the Swiffer cloths, and clean my laminate and tile floors.

Cloths can be washed and reused over and over. I save the cleaning solution in a container and it lasts a really long time. The cost is pennies compared to what I was spending! (Flannel cloth can work great as well.)

By Debbie from Fisher, IL

February 1, 2010 Flag

I bought a basic 'swiffer', not the battery operated kind. Instead of buying the wet sheets, I use thin wash cloths. I wet them with detergent water, and squeeze it out and they fit on perfectly into the little holes. It is fast and it cleans really well!

By Bubear from Pittsburgh, PA

December 2, 2011 Flag

I would like to know how to knit or crochet a reusable swiffer pad.

By TT from Douglas, WY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just make one in the approximate shape of the pad. I often use old washcloths, microfiber cloths or even old tee shirts cut into the right size/shape. If the tee shirts seem too thin, use a double thickness. I throw my homemade cloths into the washer and reuse them.

I crochet mine from cotton using a single crochet (US); simply chain enough loops to fit your pad and single crochet until you have a piece long enough and wide enough to use. Gauge doesn't matter, all you're looking for here is something that will fit your mop and have enough scrubbing power (hence the use of the dense SC) to get your floors clean.

I use the white and cream colours so that I can bleach the pads.

I have tried everything from old socks to used dryer sheets, but for the past year I have been using a Microfiber cloth. I buy mine at Sam's club, and cut them in half. One half is just right for the Swiffer and to tuck it in the slots. They don't fray, so you don't have to set the cut edges. Each cloth makes 2 swiffer pads.

When I finish sweeping with them, I use one of those scratcher pads that is like a covered sponge, and brush the lint, dog hair, etc off the pad. When they get a little grimy looking, I just throw them in the washing machine with the throw rugs.

Harlean from Arkansas

December 1, 2010 Flag

I think Swiffer cloths are too expensive. I live in an old house and have hardwood floors throughout in addition to two dogs. I am leery of some suggestions for cleaning fluid, washcloths, and the dogs on the wood floors. Occasionally I stumble on dry floor cloths at a dollar store, but not often. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

By UDN from Chicago, IL

Reusable "Swiffer" pads are very simple, purchase large microfiber cloths and use them on a Swiffer or Swiffer type mop. I have used these to clean my hardwood floors, and I have two cats that shed all the time. If I want to mop the floor, I simply spray my favorite wood floor cleaner (I use Bona) and then wipe over with the cloth.

The only issue is that you have some very grimy laundry to do to reuse the cloths.

September 24, 2008 Flag

I love Swiffer type cloths. I found when I ran out one time that you can use cut up rags (esp. flannel) the same size as one of the duster sheets and attach to the mop the same way. Voila!

Better Living Green Living AdviceJuly 7, 2014
    Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
    Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
    steel wool
    Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
    Swiffer WetJet
    Replacement Parts for a Swiffer WetJet
    Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops, Linoleum Floor Being Mopped
    Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 18, 2016 at 10:59:12 PM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.