Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Make Your Own Swiffer Pads

I think Swiffer cloths are too expensive. I live in an old house and have hardwood floors throughout in addition to two dogs. I am leery of some suggestions for cleaning fluid, washcloths, and the dogs on the wood floors. Occasionally I stumble on dry floor cloths at a dollar store, but not often. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

By UDN from Chicago, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By ItalianPear01/27/2011

Reusable "Swiffer" pads are very simple, purchase large microfiber cloths and use them on a Swiffer or Swiffer type mop. I have used these to clean my hardwood floors, and I have two cats that shed all the time. If I want to mop the floor, I simply spray my favorite wood floor cleaner (I use Bona) and then wipe over with the cloth.
The only issue is that you have some very grimy laundry to do to reuse the cloths.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Make Your Own Swiffer Pads

I need to know how to make Swiffer Wet Jet cleaning pads. I love my Swiffer Wet Jet, but would like to find a way to make my own cleaning pads.

Archive: Make Your Own Swiffer Pads

Save money on buying Swiffer dry mop replacement cloths by using Huggies baby wipes! Use the wipes to clean something light, like a dusty surface, then wash with your clothes. Once the oils have been removed, they are ready for your dry mop. You can get about eight uses out of the baby wipes (which you've already used!) than you would spending the same amount of money on their replacement cloths, and the fit is the same.

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

RE: Make Your Own Swiffer Pads

Great idea. I don't have Huggies, but I have the Kirkland brand ones (from Costco) which are large, thick and a bit stretchy. I'll give it a try. I'm tempted to use them moist to clean up areas of dog slobber in the kitchen. (10/15/2010)

By OliveOyl