Save Bread Scraps for Holiday Dressing

If you make dressing for Thanksgiving, now is the time to start saving your good bread. Any pieces of leftover french bread, biscuit or cornbread, rolls, no matter how small, just put in a big zip lock bag. I use the gallon size, sometimes two of them, and pop the bread crumbs in the freezer. Come Thanksgiving Eve, just crumble them all, and put in oven until they are all slightly brown, just toasted.

Now when you get up in the morning, you have your bread crumbs all ready to make your dressing. All you need to do is brown up your celery, onion, bell pepper, green onions in a little oil, add along with your spices like sage, poultry seasoning and such. add enough chicken broth to moisten and bake.

Homemade cheap dressing.

By Eveh

What a wonderful idea. I had difficulty last year finding just "bread cubes" for my dressing, will try this this year, thank you.

I have done this for years and it makes the best 'stuffing', so much better texture than just white bread, and box stuffing mix is just nasty.

November 23, 2009 Flag

Around June of every year, I always start saving bread scraps of all types for the holiday dressing (stuffing for our Northern friends). Example: leftover cornbread, biscuits, rolls, loaf bread, etc. This cuts waste and is always used.

Source: My mother!

By Bama_jypsy1 from Alabama

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holiday Turkey Ready for Freezing
Storing Holiday Food
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadNovember 23, 2009
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 12:06:02 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.