Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing

Category Odors
Urine odor can be difficult to remove from fabric. With the know how, you can have your clothes smelling fresh again. This is a guide about removing urine odor from fabrics.

To remove the smell of urine from clothes I washed them in a load with half a gallon of vinegar and then washed as normal.

My mom is in a nursing home and she is incontinent. I launder her clothes. At times, she has urinated through her slacks. When I retrieve her laundry, her slacks smell badly. Regular laundering does not remove the odor, it exists faintly. I thought I heard vinegar is a neutralizer?

By Modesta from New Bedord, MA

What works very well for me is vinegar and baking soda in the washer along with reg. detergent. But, you must let it soak for a while before washing. The vinegar and baking soda are very economical and work better than anything I've tried. Hope this helps you.

Add Borox to the detergent.

I use a pet enzyme, sometimes it helps. Vinegar doesn't even touch it. I can't use perfumes as I am allergic to the smell. I have them outside right not, but that's not really practical. I even soaked it in the pet enzyme first, no luck. Baking soda isn't the answer either. I am open for ideas.

I think using a pet-accident enzyme formula would be better than anything else. This is specially formulated for urine.

Anonymous

I hope this helps anyone out there with this issue. I tried all of the things that were suggested online. None of them worked very good. Still had that lingering odor. The thing I found that does work is go to a sporting goods store (Cabellas, etc) and buy a product that hunters use to remove the scent from their clothing. I bought Scent Killer. You put a capful in the washer and put through 2 rinses. After that I always rewash with my regular detergent and fabric softener. Takes more time but so worth it to have my mothers clothes not smell of urine. Hop

There is a product called Odoban you can get at Home Depot. I soak soiled clothes in hot water with Borox and a cup or so of odoban. Then I drain and put through a full wash with a splash more of the odoban. It's a miracle worker and we are talking about severely soiled clothes. I use it on everything!

Shout works the best to remove urine smell. Work it in before washing and add to load.

My 2 year old son occasionally urinates through his diaper and the urine gets on his onesie and pajamas. What I've begun to notice is that even though I wash these items, the urine smell remains. Is there anything I can add to the wash load to help with the smell. I've tried Oxiclean but that hasn't worked.

Thank you so much in advance.
keligator from Bensalem, PA

if vinegar doesn't work, there is a concentrated cleaner i found at the dollar store called mean green. i think the label says a half a cap per load of laundry. you might try soaking it in that. i soak the hubbys work clothes in it, it has a nice 'clean' fragrance once washed.

To remove urine smell from clothing use about 1/2 cup of vinegar (white not apple cider) in the wash. Your clothes will be whiter and cleaner with no smell.

Karen in Pensacola

Thanks so much for the feedback. Hopefully the inexpensive white vinegar does the trick!!!

If vinegar doesn't work, try 1/2 cup pine-sol. It disinfects and deoderizes. Happened to me when the borax wasn't enough!

You can buy fabreeze under private labels at the dollars store. Spray well, let set, wash, spritz again. This has helped even when the cat confuses the hamper with the litter box, and cat urine is way stronger than human.

I was looking for info. on urine smell remaining in clothes. My mom is 85 and has Alzheimers and I do her laundry. After a while, even the vinegar doesn't work. I will try the mean green. Thanks

OH! I forgot to add...you need to double rinse the pine-sol, just to be safe!

I have a prom dress that needs to be cleaned due to a cat urine smell that won't come out. How do I get rid of that smell in the dress without ruining the dress?

By Corbi N.

I have found many rodent urine stains on non-bleachable clothing, sheets, and more. How can I remove these?

By Mary Lynn from NC

Our cat got in my daughter's room and peed on all her prom dresses. This year's is a polyester chiffon, but other year's have tulle. What can I do to get the stain and smell out?

By Amelia P