Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing

Category Odors
Urine odor can be difficult to remove from fabric. With the know how, you can have your clothes smelling fresh again. This is a guide about removing urine odor from fabrics.

To remove the smell of urine from clothes I washed them in a load with half a gallon of vinegar and then washed as normal.

My mom is in a nursing home and she is incontinent. I launder her clothes. At times, she has urinated through her slacks. When I retrieve her laundry, her slacks smell badly. Regular laundering does not remove the odor, it exists faintly. I thought I heard vinegar is a neutralizer?

By Modesta from New Bedord, MA

There is a product called Odoban you can get at Home Depot. I soak soiled clothes in hot water with Borox and a cup or so of odoban. Then I drain and put through a full wash with a splash more of the odoban. It's a miracle worker and we are talking about severely soiled clothes. I use it on everything!

Shout works the best to remove urine smell. Work it in before washing and add to load.

I use a pleasant smelling shampoo. Rub it on the smell and throw it in the dirty cloths, after washing it smells good again. I use white rain ocean mist from dollar tree, such a lovely fragrance.

My 2 year old son occasionally urinates through his diaper and the urine gets on his onesie and pajamas. What I've begun to notice is that even though I wash these items, the urine smell remains. Is there anything I can add to the wash load to help with the smell. I've tried Oxiclean but that hasn't worked.

Thank you so much in advance.
keligator from Bensalem, PA

You can buy fabreeze under private labels at the dollars store. Spray well, let set, wash, spritz again. This has helped even when the cat confuses the hamper with the litter box, and cat urine is way stronger than human.

I was looking for info. on urine smell remaining in clothes. My mom is 85 and has Alzheimers and I do her laundry. After a while, even the vinegar doesn't work. I will try the mean green. Thanks

OH! I forgot to add...you need to double rinse the pine-sol, just to be safe!

I have a prom dress that needs to be cleaned due to a cat urine smell that won't come out. How do I get rid of that smell in the dress without ruining the dress?

By Corbi N.

I have found many rodent urine stains on non-bleachable clothing, sheets, and more. How can I remove these?

By Mary Lynn from NC

Our cat got in my daughter's room and peed on all her prom dresses. This year's is a polyester chiffon, but other year's have tulle. What can I do to get the stain and smell out?

By Amelia P