Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Woman frustrated with laundry

Urine odor can be difficult to remove from fabric. With the know how, you can have your clothes smelling fresh again. This is a guide about removing urine odor from fabrics.

Solutions: Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Urine Smell from Clothes

To remove the smell of urine from clothes I washed them in a load with half a gallon of vinegar and then washed as normal.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing.

Question: Removing Cat Urine Odor from Prom Dress

I have a prom dress that needs to be cleaned due to a cat urine smell that won't come out. How do I get rid of that smell in the dress without ruining the dress?

By Corbi N.

Question: Rodent Urine Removal On Non Bleachable Clothing

I have found many rodent urine stains on non-bleachable clothing, sheets, and more. How can I remove these?

By Mary Lynn from NC

Question: Pet Urine Stains on Prom Dress

Our cat got in my daughter's room and peed on all her prom dresses. This year's is a polyester chiffon, but other year's have tulle. What can I do to get the stain and smell out?

By Amelia P

Question: Will Vinegar Neutralize Urine Odor in Laundry?

My mom is in a nursing home and she is incontinent. I launder her clothes. At times, she has urinated through her slacks. When I retrieve her laundry, her slacks smell badly. Regular laundering does not remove the odor, it exists faintly. I thought I heard vinegar is a neutralizer?

By Modesta from New Bedord, MA

Most Recent Answer

By jane09/09/2010

Add Borox to the detergent.

Question: Removing Animal Urine Odor from Wood Furniture

How do you remove animal urine smell from the interior of a wooden antique bookcase? It was stored for years in an outdoor barn.

By Bee from Conroe,TX

Most Recent Answer

By Cyinda [214]12/11/2009

Obviously the pee has soaked into the wood, so you'll need to get the cleaner in to the wood to remove it. Buy "OUT!" brand enzyme based pet cleaner at Walmart or Target ($4.79) and spray this into the wood and let saturate. You'll need to keep the enzyme based cleaner wet for it to do its job (because when it dries the enzymes and good bacteria "die" and stop working). I would also saturate a sponge or cleaner with the "Out!" (or other enzyme-based pet cleaner) and keep the area wet for 2 days. Yes, the wood may warp, but it will remove the pee!

Also, read below. This is a copy of something posted last year on ThriftyFun. I have had quite a few people send me mail here to tell me how amazingly this has worked. One gal followed the directions below and used them to remove ferret urine that had soaked into the wood baseboard below a wall heater. It had been there for several years and she'd tried everything to remove the smell that came out each time she turned the heater on. She had lost all hope. She was so thrilled that something finally worked to remove the smell, that she became a ThriftyFun member just to send a note to thank me. So, give it a try! But, as you know, you'll need to get the cleaner IN TO the wood by letting the "OUT!" soak in. (Hmmm, that sounds strange, let the OUT soak IN, lol.) Afterward, you'll most likely need to re-finish the wood. The post below was originally written to remove cat pee from carpeting, so you may need to re-think it a bit. Also, the enzymes in the cleaner worked best at room temperature. I don't know how well they'd work in a cold barn or garage in the winter. You should carefully run a heater. But don't let the "OUT!" get too hot either, or the enzymes die and stop working. You will want room temp.

A GREAT "RECIPE" FOR REMOVING PET PEE & PET ODOR:
Here's a great recipe for cleaning and permanently removing cat urine, other pet stains, and odors:

Start by first cleaning the area with a vinegar-water solution: Use 2-3 parts water mixed with 1 part vinegar. (It's easiest to put this mixture in a well marked spray bottle.) Clean and blot, with a white towel or white rag.

*** A side note: Never use ammonia to clean up cat or dog urine, because cats and dogs will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again. Since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools" the pets' nose.

Next (and this is the most important step): Buy "OUT!" brand pet odor neutralizer at Walmart. It works by "eating" organic stains and odors by using good bacteria and enzymes. It costs only $4.79. You can use any brand of pet odor and stain remover as long as it says "cleans with enzymes" on the bottle. The main trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria and enzymes stay "alive" by covering the area with plastic wrap or an unused plastic garbage bag. Do not blow dry area, as this will kill the good bacteria that "eats" the stain and smell. "Out!" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

The second day: Repeat the application of the "OUT!" product and re-cover with plastic.

The third day: Pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area and let it fizz and bubble up anything that's left. Do this and I can bet your pet urine smell will disappear. Be careful to pre-test the carpet in a discreet area before using the hydrogen peroxide, just to make sure the carpet won't fade.

I've used peroxide many, many times to clean spots on my carpet and upholstery and it's never hurt my carpet, upholstery or any clothes fabric. Peroxide works to remove any organic stain. (That means it will remove grape juice which is natural, but not grape Jell-O or grape Kool-aid which is artificial, anyway, you get the idea.) Peroxide will also remove blood, coffee, and hot chocolate. Peroxide is a totally amazing stain remover. It works by using oxygen to "fizz out" the stain. Simple, but effective. Do not use the stronger peroxide that women bleach their hair with. Use the cheap 59 cent peroxide that is sold in grocery and drug store's "first-aid" aisle.

Make sure to do the above steps in the exact order I suggested, because if you use the peroxide before the "OUT!" then the peroxide may kill the good bacteria and enzymes. Also, If you don't have the time, you can skip the vinegar step. But if you really want to make sure you get out all of the odor and stain, then follow all the above steps because they are all important. Any one of the steps posted above will work, but all together, they work even better.

Question: Urine Smell on Toddler's Clothing After Being Washed

My 2 year old son occasionally urinates through his diaper and the urine gets on his onesie and pajamas. What I've begun to notice is that even though I wash these items, the urine smell remains. Is there anything I can add to the wash load to help with the smell. I've tried Oxiclean but that hasn't worked.

Thank you so much in advance.
keligator from Bensalem, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Kelly [15]05/29/2006

OH! I forgot to add...you need to double rinse the pine-sol, just to be safe!