Removing Urine Stains and Odor From Clothing

Urine odor can be difficult to remove from fabric. With the know how, you can have your clothes smelling fresh again. This is a guide about removing urine odor from fabrics.

May 20, 2010 Flag

My mom is in a nursing home and she is incontinent. I launder her clothes. At times, she has urinated through her slacks. When I retrieve her laundry, her slacks smell badly. Regular laundering does not remove the odor, it exists faintly. I thought I heard vinegar is a neutralizer?

By Modesta from New Bedord, MA

What works very well for me is vinegar and baking soda in the washer along with reg. detergent. But, you must let it soak for a while before washing. The vinegar and baking soda are very economical and work better than anything I've tried. Hope this helps you.

Add Borox to the detergent.

I use a pet enzyme, sometimes it helps. Vinegar doesn't even touch it. I can't use perfumes as I am allergic to the smell. I have them outside right not, but that's not really practical. I even soaked it in the pet enzyme first, no luck. Baking soda isn't the answer either. I am open for ideas.

I think using a pet-accident enzyme formula would be better than anything else. This is specially formulated for urine.

March 24, 2013 Flag

To remove the smell of urine from clothes I washed them in a load with half a gallon of vinegar and then washed as normal.

March 15, 2006 Flag

My 2 year old son occasionally urinates through his diaper and the urine gets on his onesie and pajamas. What I've begun to notice is that even though I wash these items, the urine smell remains. Is there anything I can add to the wash load to help with the smell. I've tried Oxiclean but that hasn't worked.

Thank you so much in advance.
keligator from Bensalem, PA

If vinegar doesn't work, try 1/2 cup pine-sol. It disinfects and deoderizes. Happened to me when the borax wasn't enough!

You can buy fabreeze under private labels at the dollars store. Spray well, let set, wash, spritz again. This has helped even when the cat confuses the hamper with the litter box, and cat urine is way stronger than human.

I was looking for info. on urine smell remaining in clothes. My mom is 85 and has Alzheimers and I do her laundry. After a while, even the vinegar doesn't work. I will try the mean green. Thanks

OH! I forgot to need to double rinse the pine-sol, just to be safe!

December 11, 2009 Flag

How do you remove animal urine smell from the interior of a wooden antique bookcase? It was stored for years in an outdoor barn.

By Bee from Conroe,TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Obviously the pee has soaked into the wood, so you'll need to get the cleaner in to the wood to remove it. Buy "OUT!" brand enzyme based pet cleaner at Walmart or Target ($4.79) and spray this into the wood and let saturate. You'll need to keep the enzyme based cleaner wet for it to do its job (because when it dries the enzymes and good bacteria "die" and stop working). I would also saturate a sponge or cleaner with the "Out!" (or other enzyme-based pet cleaner) and keep the area wet for 2 days. Yes, the wood may warp, but it will remove the pee!

Also, read below. This is a copy of something posted last year on ThriftyFun. I have had quite a few people send me mail here to tell me how amazingly this has worked. One gal followed the directions below and used them to remove ferret urine that had soaked into the wood baseboard below a wall heater. It had been there for several years and she'd tried everything to remove the smell that came out each time she turned the heater on. She had lost all hope. She was so thrilled that something finally worked to remove the smell, that she became a ThriftyFun member just to send a note to thank me. So, give it a try! But, as you know, you'll need to get the cleaner IN TO the wood by letting the "OUT!" soak in. (Hmmm, that sounds strange, let the OUT soak IN, lol.) Afterward, you'll most likely need to re-finish the wood. The post below was originally written to remove cat pee from carpeting, so you may need to re-think it a bit. Also, the enzymes in the cleaner worked best at room temperature. I don't know how well they'd work in a cold barn or garage in the winter. You should carefully run a heater. But don't let the "OUT!" get too hot either, or the enzymes die and stop working. You will want room temp.

Here's a great recipe for cleaning and permanently removing cat urine, other pet stains, and odors:

Start by first cleaning the area with a vinegar-water solution: Use 2-3 parts water mixed with 1 part vinegar. (It's easiest to put this mixture in a well marked spray bottle.) Clean and blot, with a white towel or white rag.

*** A side note: Never use ammonia to clean up cat or dog urine, because cats and dogs will be attracted right back to that same spot to go again. Since all urine is so strong in ammonia, this "fools" the pets' nose.

Next (and this is the most important step): Buy "OUT!" brand pet odor neutralizer at Walmart. It works by "eating" organic stains and odors by using good bacteria and enzymes. It costs only $4.79. You can use any brand of pet odor and stain remover as long as it says "cleans with enzymes" on the bottle. The main trick is to keep the "OUT!" wet so the good bacteria and enzymes stay "alive" by covering the area with plastic wrap or an unused plastic garbage bag. Do not blow dry area, as this will kill the good bacteria that "eats" the stain and smell. "Out!" smells like yummy vanilla, which is nice.

The second day: Repeat the application of the "OUT!" product and re-cover with plastic.

The third day: Pour plain old drugstore hydrogen peroxide on the area and let it fizz and bubble up anything that's left. Do this and I can bet your pet urine smell will disappear. Be careful to pre-test the carpet in a discreet area before using the hydrogen peroxide, just to make sure the carpet won't fade.

I've used peroxide many, many times to clean spots on my carpet and upholstery and it's never hurt my carpet, upholstery or any clothes fabric. Peroxide works to remove any organic stain. (That means it will remove grape juice which is natural, but not grape Jell-O or grape Kool-aid which is artificial, anyway, you get the idea.) Peroxide will also remove blood, coffee, and hot chocolate. Peroxide is a totally amazing stain remover. It works by using oxygen to "fizz out" the stain. Simple, but effective. Do not use the stronger peroxide that women bleach their hair with. Use the cheap 59 cent peroxide that is sold in grocery and drug store's "first-aid" aisle.

Make sure to do the above steps in the exact order I suggested, because if you use the peroxide before the "OUT!" then the peroxide may kill the good bacteria and enzymes. Also, If you don't have the time, you can skip the vinegar step. But if you really want to make sure you get out all of the odor and stain, then follow all the above steps because they are all important. Any one of the steps posted above will work, but all together, they work even better.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 1, 2011
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
A cat sitting on a couch.
Removing Cat Urine Odor from a Couch