Fixing a Wood Table With a Nail Polish Remover Stain

Nail polish remove can stain your wooden furniture if it gets spilled. Because it may have attacked the finish, it can be difficult to remove the stain. This is a guide about fixing a wood table with a nail polish remover stain.

April 3, 2012 Flag

Regarding nail polish remover spilled on real wood table. Yes! The hot iron with white washcloth worked WONDERS! I was stunned!

By Jojo from Texas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 12 Comments

January 2, 2012 Flag

My daughter spilt nail varnish remover on our small table. The stain is white and very rough; what can I do to put it right? The table is made of yew, and highly polished.

Marion

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Since this was nail polish remover, it has done to the table what it was meant to do to your nails; removed (or at least ruffled) the finish. So the sanding and refinishing will be necessary. Probably the whole table top since you will probably never be able to match the refinished area to the rest of the tabletop.

An alternative to consider is painting instead of staining the wood. Being sure to sand with the grain of the wood, get the roughness restored to as smooth as possible. If you have to spot sand too much, you may create a dip of sorts in the surface. So sand the rest of the tabletop as well, at least the surrounding areas...always with the grain, never against. Then paint the table top with a complimentary paint color. Painting is much easier to do as well as it covers the affected spot better than any stain would especially since you may not be able to sand far enough down to get all the original stain/finish off.

Best Answer

I just reread your post that the table is yew. Painting is probably the least desired effect you are wanting. The high polish is just a very thick layer of clear varnish. The whiteness is the result of the remover trying to break it down (so it could be removed).

Sanding will work, but a faster solution might be to strip the entire surface of the table chemically with a paint or varnish stripper product available most anywhere. Then redo that thick coat of clear varnish.

It may be worth it to seek out a professional furniture refinisher to do this work to get the best result for the beautiful yew wood.

August 9, 2012 Flag

I spilled finger nail polish remover on my wood table. Is there anything I can do to restore the finish?

By JN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Really, the only thing you can do is to refinish the whole top. Sand it down good and reapply some polyurethane. Being the klutz that I am, I have now refinished my coffee table 3 times! LOL

Best Answer

If your top is veneer, please do not sand your table. You could ruin it completely. Carefully remove the finish on the table top with one of the commercial products offered at the hardware or other stores. DO NOT let it drip on other parts of the table or you will end up having to redo the whole table. Your best advice will come from the store personnel who know "how to" restore your table.

You will have several other steps to this process to return your table to useable condition.

July 19, 2016 Flag

I was doing my nails at the dining room table, I will not do that again. The bottle of nail polish remover spilled and ate a place about 5 by 5 inches of the stain off of my table. Is there any easier fix than refinishing the entire table top?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bald's Balm Finish Restorer. You might have to send away for it. Check Lee Valley Tools.

April 8, 2011 Flag

I dropped a bottle of nail polish on our tile floor and it splattered on the leg of our table. My hubby used nail polish remover before I could tell him no and now there are dull lighter white spots, almost like a water stains, on the wood and the varnish is gone. I called Pottery Barn and of course nobody can remember the name of the varnish since it is an older piece.

Should I just varnish it with clear and leave the spots? I have heard about the iron method, but I am scared. I feel so horrible I want to cry about my floor and my table! Thanks for all your help!

By lacullinane from Omaha

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You have stripped the stain with the nail polish remover. Look for products in the paint store for spot touch ups. They may have something that will fix the spot. Sadly, I think you are going to have to refinish the whole table top to get a good match.

There are oodles and oodles of ideas at the bottom of this page in the ThriftyFun archives below.

January 29, 2016 Flag

I accidentally spilled drops of acetone nail polish remover on a wooden table, the color of mahogany. Five stains, the size of quarters, on bottom tier of round corner table.
I tried to cover with them with exact color stain. This did not work. How about spray painting that one tier with same color? Please advise on this or any other solutions anyone may have. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, Sal, I think you might end up having to refinish the top of your table. Finding an exact spray paint match will be diffficult. However, if you don't want to strip the existing colour and re-paint the entire top, why not consider other options? For instance, can you buy a pane of glass the exact size (or have it cut to the size of the table top)? You could have fun deciding on something to put between the glass and the table ... a piece of embroidery or crochet, perhaps some autumn leaves? Ask your family members to come up with suggestions for things which will not only cover the stains but also add interest and variety?

August 19, 2012 Flag

How do I remove nail polish remover from a wooden table?

By Mary Lou D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What's happened is the nail polish remover has removed the finish from your table. I would try a furniture touch up pen. It won't be an exact match, but likely will look better than it does right now, and won't cost nearly as much as refinishing the whole table.

Next time just throw down some newspaper, or a piece of cardboard and that should prevent it from happening again.

February 18, 2013 Flag

My little girl spilled nail polish remover on our big new wood table. Now there is a big white bumpy spot on the table. She spilled almost the whole bottle! Our grandma is here; our dad is on vacation! What is he going to do? What should we do about our brand new table, to make is just like we just bought it?

By Sierra

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know how to fix your table top, but I do know it is fixable. The nail polish remover has removed the varnish, and perhaps the stain on your table top. Two things to do. Google for information online. There are instructions for just about everything on Youtube, and I think you should find some answers there. Secondly, you can go to a local store that sells paint and varnish - whatever good quality store you have in your area. Ask for help from a salesperson who knows the paint products; there are products for spot touchups and repair that may work very well.

Good luck.

The same thing happened to me! I just know what not to try. my mom tried to use this silver for washing dishes thing and it just left scratch marks! Don't even try wax it doesn't do anything! Good luck to the others also! If you find an answer please tell me. My mom is totally desperate. She bought that table for thousands.

Please help!

July 17, 2013 Flag

How can I remove a nail polish remover mark from my table?

By Palika from Rancho Cucamonga

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In my experience nail polish remover takes off the finish of things, so you don't want to "remove" the mark, but to cover it or restore the original finish. We would have to know what your table is made of in order to help you with that. It may not be possible to repair it. I dropped some nail polish remover on the waistline of fake suede dress; there was no way to fix the mark as it removed the fuzziness. A friend suggested I tie the belt in the front and put a broach on it to cover the mark. Worked well. Otherwise, the dress was ruined.

November 8, 2014 Flag

How do you remove a nail polish remover stain from a dark wood kitchen table?

By Maria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have found it impossible to remove it. The chemicals dissolve and dry with the finish on the wood. So you need to refinish the table top, removing the current finish and restaining and refinishing. Or just learn to live with it. It is a real job, but wood refinishing is a rewarding if messy hobby.

April 23, 2013 Flag

How do I get nail polish remover off a wood table? It took the finish off, how do I get it?

By Jessica S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm sorry to say, there is no 'getting it off' because the nail polish remover has removed the finish on that surface. You're going to need to re-stain and then re-varnish at least the spot that has been stripped by the nail polish remover.

There are several products in the paint aisles of any big-box store (WalMart, Target, Home Depot, etc) or you can go to a dedicated paint store (Benjamin Moore, etc). Staff at any of the stores should be able to help you match the stain and find the small cans of the stain and varnish.

The stores will also have free info and instructions brochures to help you get a good application that will last a long time.

Actually, I accidentally spilled some finger nail polish remover on my husbands coffee table. I was frantic.

I panicked and wondered if I'd be able to get it off before he got home from work. Then looked up this website which led me to believe after reading all comments that there was no hope for the coffee table.

Well I tried using my finger nail to scratch up the spot the finger nail polish remover left and it worked!

September 8, 2013 Flag

I have spilt nail varnish remover on my mum's oak table and it has left a big white mark down the leg. Any suggestions?

By Katie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well I got told to put mayonnaise and ashes on the table and let it sit for 5 minutes, then gently rub it into the stain with a cloth (which should also help to remove the ashes and mayonnaise.

Next wet a cloth and put some soap on the table, then rinse the table and let it dry well.

Then pour 4 Tbsp's of wood oil onto the stain, then rub it all in. Then it sit for 10 minutes, and wash the table again with the soapy cloth.

Then get another cloth and dampen it slightly and put it over the stain. Put an iron onto the cloth (using high heat) and rub it in a slow circular motion, keep checking your stain. DO NOT let the iron sit or it will burn it more!

Hope it helps xx

May 9, 2015 Flag

What can I do to fix where I spilt fingernail polish remover?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2014 Flag

How do I repair the mahogany wood table? I spilled nail polish remover on it.

By Tina D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2013 Flag

So I spilt a small amount of nail varnish remover on a light oak dining table. The patch went really pale. I read up on here about mixing mayo with ash so I did that, left it overnight and now it';s gone really dark and into the grains and is looking worse than before! Any ideas how I can fix this?

By KayR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 23, 2013 Flag

I spilled half a bottle of nail polish remover onto the dining table. I tried to get it off by wiping with paper towels. Some stuck onto the surface. Then I tried scrubbing it off which made marks and scratches on the surface of the table. Any easy way to fix this?

By Sam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 30, 2012 Flag

I've got several drops of nail varnish remover with one large one on my oak table. Any ideas on how I can treat this? Thank you. Maria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2012 Flag

How long do I apply hot iron with white cloth to wood table?

By Maria M. from Asheville, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 29, 2008 Flag

How do I fix a varnished table with a nail varnish remover stain?

M Lees from Cumbria

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 8, 2011 Flag

Nail Polish Remover on Table
I spilled some nail polish remover on my kitchen table and it turned white and my table is a dark dark brown. Is there anything I can do to restore it without stripping the stain?

By Jojo from Bouctouche, NB

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

There are oodles of suggestions and ideas in the archives below. Sadly, it's going to take some type of refinishing to repair. :-( (08/06/2010)

By Deeli

Nail Polish Remover on Table

You have stripped the stain with the nail polish remover. Look for products in the paint store for spot touch ups. They may have something that will fix the spot. Sadly, I think you are going to have to refinish the whole table top. to get a good match. (08/06/2010)

By louel53

Nail Polish Remover on Table

To whoever suggested mayonnaise with ashes, thank you! I just created an account to post my testimonial. I spilled nail polish remover on my deceased father's desk four years ago and have always just put a cloth over the surface. I finally found this tip and it drastically reduced the cloudy white stain. I smeared mayo over the surface, sprinkled ashes from the fireplace over the top, and then buffed until it was dry. Thank you so much! (08/19/2010)

By DianaJacqueline

Nail Polish Remover on Table

Forget about mayo or refinishing your table.
I just figure out the easiest most affective way to do it (and believe me, I tried it all).

1. Warm up your iron on max (no steam just the dry iron).
  2. Put a clean, white wash cloth on top of the stain.
  3. After the iron is hot, work circular motion moves with the iron on top of the stain for about 1 min.
  4. Remove the wash cloth to check your progress.
  5. Keep doing that over and over until the stain is gone.

Here is an explanation of why it works: the heat of the iron dilates the wood grain, and also evaporates the nail polish which is very volatile.
Don't let the iron sit on top of the wood for too long, it will damage the wood grain and burn your table.

I hope it works on tables with different finishings. I know it worked on mine.
Hope that helps lots of people staining my table with wood polish was so frustrating! (02/01/2011)

By fefafonseca

Nail Polish Remover on Table

fetafonseca's suggestion with the dry iron worked great for me. I spilled some candle wax on a laminated chocolate brown table and tried some nail polish remover to get ride of it. What a mistake! The stain was still there plus, now, a god awful white stain.

Following fetafonseca suggestion, I used a dry iron over a clean cloth and and the white stain (and the wax!) disappeared.
Note: I first used a facecloth with a line-texture in it and it imprinted the texture on my table. I then switched to a clean plain tea towel and everything was fine! (02/14/2011)

By xtineh

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 1, 2010 Flag

My daughter got nail polish remover on our cherry wood table and it removed the finish. What is the best way to get the finish back? Are there any cleaning supplies that will bring the finish back or make it not so obvious?

By andreandave from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

I once spilled some isopropyl alcohol on my tabletop and it messed up the varnish :-( I washed the entire table vigorously with soap and water and then used a rag to wipe a good amount of sesame oil on and around the spot, let it sit until the oil completely soaked in to the damaged portion and then lightly wiped the table with a soap and water rag. You can still see the damage, but it's very faint.

About the only other thing you can do is sand and re-varnish. There are lots of other ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below. (03/25/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2010 Flag

We had permanent marker on our expensive oak tabletop. My wife used nail varnish remover to remove it, but it's now left 3 dull marks on the table. How do we repair this to make it look right again?

By GAZB from UK

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

A professional would sand it down to bare wood and start over. If you can't do that, then first you have to find out if the oak is oiled, varnished, lacquered or has a plastic / epoxy coating.

If it is oiled, get some Swedish Furniture Oil and let some soak into the dull spots, then wipe the whole table down with it.

If it is varnish, you will need to find some old fashioned, turpentine based spar varnish. Dab some on sparingly and wipe it with a cloth. Repeat the next day and the day after. The trick is to build it up slowly to the right level and shine.

It probably is not a lacquer or a two component epoxy, but if it is, it will always look a bit different, no matter what you do. In that case you might as well rent a belt sander and sand down the top. Never move the sander in the direction of the belt. It will gouge! Always move it at a right or almost right angle to the belt, and if possible in the same direction as the grain of the wood. Then use an oak filler and lightly sand it after it is dry, and top it with your choice of finish. My personal choice is old fashioned spar varnish. Have fun! (08/26/2009)

By DearWebby

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureNovember 22, 2011
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish
Removing Nail Polish from Wood Furniture
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 7:04:22 AM on 10.0.2.156 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.