Fixing a Wood Table With a Nail Polish Remover Stain

Nail polish remove can stain your wooden furniture if it gets spilled. Because it may have attacked the finish, it can be difficult to remove the stain. This is a guide about fixing a wood table with a nail polish remover stain.

April 3, 2012 Flag

Regarding nail polish remover spilled on real wood table. Yes! The hot iron with white washcloth worked WONDERS! I was stunned!

By Jojo from Texas

Doing this right now.Let u know how it works out.

Ironing over the area on top of a cloth worked for me too! Thank you for the tip!

January 2, 2012 Flag

My daughter spilt nail varnish remover on our small table. The stain is white and very rough; what can I do to put it right? The table is made of yew, and highly polished.

Marion

Best Answer

Since this was nail polish remover, it has done to the table what it was meant to do to your nails; removed (or at least ruffled) the finish. So the sanding and refinishing will be necessary. Probably the whole table top since you will probably never be able to match the refinished area to the rest of the tabletop.

An alternative to consider is painting instead of staining the wood. Being sure to sand with the grain of the wood, get the roughness restored to as smooth as possible. If you have to spot sand too much, you may create a dip of sorts in the surface. So sand the rest of the tabletop as well, at least the surrounding areas...always with the grain, never against. Then paint the table top with a complimentary paint color. Painting is much easier to do as well as it covers the affected spot better than any stain would especially since you may not be able to sand far enough down to get all the original stain/finish off.

Best Answer

I just reread your post that the table is yew. Painting is probably the least desired effect you are wanting. The high polish is just a very thick layer of clear varnish. The whiteness is the result of the remover trying to break it down (so it could be removed).

Sanding will work, but a faster solution might be to strip the entire surface of the table chemically with a paint or varnish stripper product available most anywhere. Then redo that thick coat of clear varnish.

It may be worth it to seek out a professional furniture refinisher to do this work to get the best result for the beautiful yew wood.

August 9, 2012 Flag

I spilled finger nail polish remover on my wood table. Is there anything I can do to restore the finish?

By JN

Best Answer

Really, the only thing you can do is to refinish the whole top. Sand it down good and reapply some polyurethane. Being the klutz that I am, I have now refinished my coffee table 3 times! LOL

Best Answer

If your top is veneer, please do not sand your table. You could ruin it completely. Carefully remove the finish on the table top with one of the commercial products offered at the hardware or other stores. DO NOT let it drip on other parts of the table or you will end up having to redo the whole table. Your best advice will come from the store personnel who know "how to" restore your table.

You will have several other steps to this process to return your table to useable condition.

July 19, 2016 Flag

I was doing my nails at the dining room table, I will not do that again. The bottle of nail polish remover spilled and ate a place about 5 by 5 inches of the stain off of my table. Is there any easier fix than refinishing the entire table top?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Bald's Balm Finish Restorer. You might have to send away for it. Check Lee Valley Tools.

January 29, 2016 Flag

I accidentally spilled drops of acetone nail polish remover on a wooden table, the color of mahogany. Five stains, the size of quarters, on bottom tier of round corner table.

I tried to cover with them with exact color stain. This did not work. How about spray painting that one tier with same color? Please advise on this or any other solutions anyone may have. Thanks.

Well, Sal, I think you might end up having to refinish the top of your table. Finding an exact spray paint match will be diffficult. However, if you don't want to strip the existing colour and re-paint the entire top, why not consider other options? For instance, can you buy a pane of glass the exact size (or have it cut to the size of the table top)? You could have fun deciding on something to put between the glass and the table ... a piece of embroidery or crochet, perhaps some autumn leaves? Ask your family members to come up with suggestions for things which will not only cover the stains but also add interest and variety?

April 8, 2011 Flag

I dropped a bottle of nail polish on our tile floor and it splattered on the leg of our table. My hubby used nail polish remover before I could tell him no and now there are dull lighter white spots, almost like a water stains, on the wood and the varnish is gone. I called Pottery Barn and of course nobody can remember the name of the varnish since it is an older piece.

Should I just varnish it with clear and leave the spots? I have heard about the iron method, but I am scared. I feel so horrible I want to cry about my floor and my table! Thanks for all your help!

By lacullinane from Omaha

Best Answer

You have stripped the stain with the nail polish remover. Look for products in the paint store for spot touch ups. They may have something that will fix the spot. Sadly, I think you are going to have to refinish the whole table top to get a good match.

There are oodles and oodles of ideas at the bottom of this page in the ThriftyFun archives below.

August 19, 2012 Flag

How do I remove nail polish remover from a wooden table?

By Mary Lou D.

What's happened is the nail polish remover has removed the finish from your table. I would try a furniture touch up pen. It won't be an exact match, but likely will look better than it does right now, and won't cost nearly as much as refinishing the whole table.

Next time just throw down some newspaper, or a piece of cardboard and that should prevent it from happening again.

February 18, 2013 Flag

My little girl spilled nail polish remover on our big new wood table. Now there is a big white bumpy spot on the table. She spilled almost the whole bottle! Our grandma is here; our dad is on vacation! What is he going to do? What should we do about our brand new table, to make is just like we just bought it?

By Sierra

I don't know how to fix your table top, but I do know it is fixable. The nail polish remover has removed the varnish, and perhaps the stain on your table top. Two things to do. Google for information online. There are instructions for just about everything on Youtube, and I think you should find some answers there. Secondly, you can go to a local store that sells paint and varnish - whatever good quality store you have in your area. Ask for help from a salesperson who knows the paint products; there are products for spot touchups and repair that may work very well.

Good luck.

The same thing happened to me! I just know what not to try. my mom tried to use this silver for washing dishes thing and it just left scratch marks! Don't even try wax it doesn't do anything! Good luck to the others also! If you find an answer please tell me. My mom is totally desperate. She bought that table for thousands.

Please help!

July 17, 2013 Flag

How can I remove a nail polish remover mark from my table?

By Palika from Rancho Cucamonga

In my experience nail polish remover takes off the finish of things, so you don't want to "remove" the mark, but to cover it or restore the original finish. We would have to know what your table is made of in order to help you with that. It may not be possible to repair it. I dropped some nail polish remover on the waistline of fake suede dress; there was no way to fix the mark as it removed the fuzziness. A friend suggested I tie the belt in the front and put a broach on it to cover the mark. Worked well. Otherwise, the dress was ruined.

November 8, 2014 Flag

How do you remove a nail polish remover stain from a dark wood kitchen table?

By Maria

I have found it impossible to remove it. The chemicals dissolve and dry with the finish on the wood. So you need to refinish the table top, removing the current finish and restaining and refinishing. Or just learn to live with it. It is a real job, but wood refinishing is a rewarding if messy hobby.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair FurnitureNovember 22, 2011
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish
Removing Nail Polish from Wood Furniture
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎄