Fixing a Wood Table With a Nail Polish Remover Stain

Category Furniture
Nail polish remove can stain your wooden furniture if it gets spilled. Because it may have attacked the finish, it can be difficult to remove the stain. This is a guide about fixing a wood table with a nail polish remover stain.

Regarding nail polish remover spilled on real wood table. Yes! The hot iron with white washcloth worked WONDERS! I was stunned!

By Jojo from Texas

Didn't work

My daughter was using nail polish remover and spilled some on our wooden dining table. There are now white areas where the finish is damaged. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Use an oil-based stain that matches the surrounding stain.

I've spilt nail polish remover on the top and down the front of my bedside table, which is pine. How can I remove this without wrecking it? Help!

Yes, a definite sanding and refinishing is necessary :(

My daughter spilt nail varnish remover on our small table. The stain is white and very rough; what can I do to put it right? The table is made of yew, and highly polished.

Marion

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Since this was nail polish remover, it has done to the table what it was meant to do to your nails; removed (or at least ruffled) the finish. So the sanding and refinishing will be necessary. Probably the whole table top since you will probably never be able to match the refinished area to the rest of the tabletop.

An alternative to consider is painting instead of staining the wood. Being sure to sand with the grain of the wood, get the roughness restored to as smooth as possible. If you have to spot sand too much, you may create a dip of sorts in the surface. So sand the rest of the tabletop as well, at least the surrounding areas...always with the grain, never against. Then paint the table top with a complimentary paint color. Painting is much easier to do as well as it covers the affected spot better than any stain would especially since you may not be able to sand far enough down to get all the original stain/finish off.

I spilled finger nail polish remover on my wood table. Is there anything I can do to restore the finish?

By JN

Best Answer

Really, the only thing you can do is to refinish the whole top. Sand it down good and reapply some polyurethane. Being the klutz that I am, I have now refinished my coffee table 3 times! LOL

I was doing my nails at the dining room table, I will not do that again. The bottle of nail polish remover spilled and ate a place about 5 by 5 inches of the stain off of my table. Is there any easier fix than refinishing the entire table top?

Bald's Balm Finish Restorer. You might have to send away for it. Check Lee Valley Tools.

I dropped a bottle of nail polish on our tile floor and it splattered on the leg of our table. My hubby used nail polish remover before I could tell him no and now there are dull lighter white spots, almost like a water stains, on the wood and the varnish is gone. I called Pottery Barn and of course nobody can remember the name of the varnish since it is an older piece.

Should I just varnish it with clear and leave the spots? I have heard about the iron method, but I am scared. I feel so horrible I want to cry about my floor and my table! Thanks for all your help!

By lacullinane from Omaha

Best Answer

You have stripped the stain with the nail polish remover. Look for products in the paint store for spot touch ups. They may have something that will fix the spot. Sadly, I think you are going to have to refinish the whole table top to get a good match.

How can I remove a nail polish remover mark from my table?

By Palika from Rancho Cucamonga

Answer Was this helpful? 1

In my experience nail polish remover takes off the finish of things, so you don't want to "remove" the mark, but to cover it or restore the original finish. We would have to know what your table is made of in order to help you with that. It may not be possible to repair it. I dropped some nail polish remover on the waistline of fake suede dress; there was no way to fix the mark as it removed the fuzziness. A friend suggested I tie the belt in the front and put a broach on it to cover the mark. Worked well. Otherwise, the dress was ruined.

I accidentally spilled drops of acetone nail polish remover on a wooden table, the color of mahogany. Five stains, the size of quarters, on bottom tier of round corner table.
I tried to cover with them with exact color stain. This did not work. How about spray painting that one tier with same color? Please advise on this or any other solutions anyone may have. Thanks.

Well, Sal, I think you might end up having to refinish the top of your table. Finding an exact spray paint match will be diffficult. However, if you don't want to strip the existing colour and re-paint the entire top, why not consider other options? For instance, can you buy a pane of glass the exact size (or have it cut to the size of the table top)? You could have fun deciding on something to put between the glass and the table ... a piece of embroidery or crochet, perhaps some autumn leaves? Ask your family members to come up with suggestions for things which will not only cover the stains but also add interest and variety?

My little girl spilled nail polish remover on our big new wood table. Now there is a big white bumpy spot on the table. She spilled almost the whole bottle! Our grandma is here; our dad is on vacation! What is he going to do? What should we do about our brand new table, to make is just like we just bought it?

By Sierra

There is no option for this but to strip the whole area wether it is a leg or a top. Then you will have to decide how to refinish the item. Proffessionally is the best solution but is the most expensive as many of these finishes are french polished which tales some considerable skill to do. others are a lacquer sprayed on in layers.

The main problem is in colour matching and may require mixing different shades to get the desired effect. If yuo are determined to DIY then please got to your library get some books on the subject then practice on some similar timber or veneered woods. starting French Polishing is simple and just requires brushing but the hand finishing takes a delicate touch and some practice to achieve that glass like finish. Best I can offer in the circumstances . good luck. john m.

How do I remove nail polish remover from a wooden table?

By Mary Lou D.

Next time just throw down some newspaper, or a piece of cardboard and that should prevent it from happening again.

I have spilt nail varnish remover on my mum's oak table and it has left a big white mark down the leg. Any suggestions?

By Katie

Well I got told to put mayonnaise and ashes on the table and let it sit for 5 minutes, then gently rub it into the stain with a cloth (which should also help to remove the ashes and mayonnaise.

Next wet a cloth and put some soap on the table, then rinse the table and let it dry well.

Then pour 4 Tbsp's of wood oil onto the stain, then rub it all in. Then it sit for 10 minutes, and wash the table again with the soapy cloth.

Then get another cloth and dampen it slightly and put it over the stain. Put an iron onto the cloth (using high heat) and rub it in a slow circular motion, keep checking your stain. DO NOT let the iron sit or it will burn it more!

Hope it helps xx

How do you remove a nail polish remover stain from a dark wood kitchen table?

By Maria

I have found it impossible to remove it. The chemicals dissolve and dry with the finish on the wood. So you need to refinish the table top, removing the current finish and restaining and refinishing. Or just learn to live with it. It is a real job, but wood refinishing is a rewarding if messy hobby.

How do I get nail polish remover off a wood table? It took the finish off, how do I get it?

By Jessica S.

I'm sorry to say, there is no 'getting it off' because the nail polish remover has removed the finish on that surface. You're going to need to re-stain and then re-varnish at least the spot that has been stripped by the nail polish remover.

There are several products in the paint aisles of any big-box store (WalMart, Target, Home Depot, etc) or you can go to a dedicated paint store (Benjamin Moore, etc). Staff at any of the stores should be able to help you match the stain and find the small cans of the stain and varnish.

The stores will also have free info and instructions brochures to help you get a good application that will last a long time.

What can I do to fix where I spilt fingernail polish remover?

How do I repair the mahogany wood table? I spilled nail polish remover on it.

By Tina D

So I spilt a small amount of nail varnish remover on a light oak dining table. The patch went really pale. I read up on here about mixing mayo with ash so I did that, left it overnight and now it';s gone really dark and into the grains and is looking worse than before! Any ideas how I can fix this?

By KayR

I spilled half a bottle of nail polish remover onto the dining table. I tried to get it off by wiping with paper towels. Some stuck onto the surface. Then I tried scrubbing it off which made marks and scratches on the surface of the table. Any easy way to fix this?

By Sam

I've got several drops of nail varnish remover with one large one on
my oak table. Any ideas on how I can treat this? Thank you.

Maria

How long do I apply hot iron with white cloth to wood table?

By Maria M. from Asheville, NC

How do I fix a varnished table with a nail varnish remover stain?

M Lees from Cumbria

Nail Polish Remover on Table
I spilled some nail polish remover on my kitchen table and it turned white and my table is a dark dark brown. Is there anything I can do to restore it without stripping the stain?

By Jojo from Bouctouche, NB

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

There are oodles of suggestions and ideas in the archives below. Sadly, it's going to take some type of refinishing to repair. :-( (08/06/2010)

By Deeli

Nail Polish Remover on Table

You have stripped the stain with the nail polish remover. Look for products in the paint store for spot touch ups. They may have something that will fix the spot. Sadly, I think you are going to have to refinish the whole table top. to get a good match. (08/06/2010)

By louel53

Nail Polish Remover on Table

To whoever suggested mayonnaise with ashes, thank you! I just created an account to post my testimonial. I spilled nail polish remover on my deceased father's desk four years ago and have always just put a cloth over the surface. I finally found this tip and it drastically reduced the cloudy white stain. I smeared mayo over the surface, sprinkled ashes from the fireplace over the top, and then buffed until it was dry. Thank you so much! (08/19/2010)

By DianaJacqueline

Nail Polish Remover on Table

Forget about mayo or refinishing your table.
I just figure out the easiest most affective way to do it (and believe me, I tried it all).

1. Warm up your iron on max (no steam just the dry iron).
  2. Put a clean, white wash cloth on top of the stain.
  3. After the iron is hot, work circular motion moves with the iron on top of the stain for about 1 min.
  4. Remove the wash cloth to check your progress.
  5. Keep doing that over and over until the stain is gone.

Here is an explanation of why it works: the heat of the iron dilates the wood grain, and also evaporates the nail polish which is very volatile.
Don't let the iron sit on top of the wood for too long, it will damage the wood grain and burn your table.

I hope it works on tables with different finishings. I know it worked on mine.
Hope that helps lots of people staining my table with wood polish was so frustrating! (02/01/2011)

By fefafonseca

Nail Polish Remover on Table

fetafonseca's suggestion with the dry iron worked great for me. I spilled some candle wax on a laminated chocolate brown table and tried some nail polish remover to get ride of it. What a mistake! The stain was still there plus, now, a god awful white stain.

Following fetafonseca suggestion, I used a dry iron over a clean cloth and and the white stain (and the wax!) disappeared.
Note: I first used a facecloth with a line-texture in it and it imprinted the texture on my table. I then switched to a clean plain tea towel and everything was fine! (02/14/2011)

By xtineh

My daughter got nail polish remover on our cherry wood table and it removed the finish. What is the best way to get the finish back? Are there any cleaning supplies that will bring the finish back or make it not so obvious?

By andreandave from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

I once spilled some isopropyl alcohol on my tabletop and it messed up the varnish :-( I washed the entire table vigorously with soap and water and then used a rag to wipe a good amount of sesame oil on and around the spot, let it sit until the oil completely soaked in to the damaged portion and then lightly wiped the table with a soap and water rag. You can still see the damage, but it's very faint.

About the only other thing you can do is sand and re-varnish. There are lots of other ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below. (03/25/2010)

By Deeli

We had permanent marker on our expensive oak tabletop. My wife used nail varnish remover to remove it, but it's now left 3 dull marks on the table. How do we repair this to make it look right again?

By GAZB from UK

Answers:

Nail Polish Remover on Table

A professional would sand it down to bare wood and start over. If you can't do that, then first you have to find out if the oak is oiled, varnished, lacquered or has a plastic / epoxy coating.

If it is oiled, get some Swedish Furniture Oil and let some soak into the dull spots, then wipe the whole table down with it.

If it is varnish, you will need to find some old fashioned, turpentine based spar varnish. Dab some on sparingly and wipe it with a cloth. Repeat the next day and the day after. The trick is to build it up slowly to the right level and shine.

It probably is not a lacquer or a two component epoxy, but if it is, it will always look a bit different, no matter what you do. In that case you might as well rent a belt sander and sand down the top. Never move the sander in the direction of the belt. It will gouge! Always move it at a right or almost right angle to the belt, and if possible in the same direction as the grain of the wood. Then use an oak filler and lightly sand it after it is dry, and top it with your choice of finish. My personal choice is old fashioned spar varnish. Have fun! (08/26/2009)

By DearWebby

Does anyone know how to get nail varnish remover out of an oak veneer table?

Load More