Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

How do I remove Fixadent from my gums?

By Teresa from VA

By WilliamH Colorado05/27/2013

For upper fixtures, the answer is: Sea Bond. Follow the instructions. Trim the back edge. Make the "V" cut. Trim the sides. Customize the front "V" area. Moisten the pad. Install one side at a time using the pinkie, being sure that the front portion of the second side overlaps the first side (not bunched in). Insert and hold about 15 seconds. Done. Cut and carry a replacement. For lower fixtures, suffer the minimal inconvenience of Fixodent.

By Jaylene Graf A.12/03/2012

I have found that arm and hammer, peroxide toothpaste for healthy gums makes denture adhesive release from my mouth. I brush with it and rinse in warm water. When I rinse the adhesive is hanging loose and I remove it with a paper towel. I then wait an hour and drink a hot drink or a soda, both of which will remove any left. Before bed I re-brush with a toothpaste that tastes a little fresher as arm and hammer isnt very refreshing, and use an alcohol based mouthwash. I use Listerine. Works everytime.

By Peggy [6]01/14/2011

I also have the problem of removing excess adhesive from my gums. I have to use a lot of adhesive to make up for my poor fitting dentures and can't afford new ones. First, I wipe as much as I can off with a cheap paper towel, the rougher the better. Then I suck on a Vitamin C lozenge, the chewable kind. By the time the tablet has dissolved, the adhesive is gone and I've got my daily dose of Vitamin-C.

By Poca [1]01/14/2011

I have full upper & lower dentures. I don't need any liners or paste on uppers but my lower, I use Poligrip strips. I apply as suggested on box then cut one strip in half & put that in the front middle of indent on denture. I would have to use denture paste but that day may come, who knows? Anyway, until that day comes, I use Poligrip strips & don't have that much of a problem as the paste would cause.

By Vicki [21]01/13/2011

I just pull it off manually with my fingers, although mine doesn't particularly stick (maybe that is more specific to having only a small partial). I like Polygrip better than Fixodent, although I use both.

By Ann Winberg [282]01/13/2011

Rinse your mouth with as hot of water as you can stand, you may have to repeat a couple of times. I use a soft toothbrush also. I really miss brushing my teeth and the fresh taste of toothpaste and brushing my gums with toothpaste and a soft toothbrush helps a lot.

If you are like me you will find you are using too much denture adhesive. When it gets so you need to use more you really need to use liner. There is a real easy one to use just like the dentists use called permasoft. You can get from ebay the cheapest or from this lab

perma-laboratories.com/denture_reline.html for a couple of dollars more. I used it every three months or so when I first got my temporary dentures. It is a two part mix very easy to do. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I wear dentures and have to use adhesive. My question is, how can I easily get the adhesive from the roof of my mouth when I take out my dentures? I try brushing and it just doesn't work, and it is annoying to have the gunk still in my mouth after removing the dentures. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

jmz2005 from IL

RE: Removing Denture Adhesive from Mouth

The following site ( http://www.fixodent.com/tips_qa.html ) has this advice for their product:
"How do I remove adhesive residue?
To remove adhesive residue from your dentures, use a denture cleanser such as Fixodent® Denture Cleanser System with ProGuard. To remove adhesive residue from your mouth, gums, tongue, and palate, brush the roof of your mouth and gums with a soft-bristled toothbrush, toothpaste such as Crest®, and comfortably hot water." I hope this helps. (06/09/2007)

By Luvyabye

RE: Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I wash my hands and use a paper towel to pull the adhesive. This works very well for me. Also my fingers will get the rest. (06/10/2007)

By Jane

If you want to take your dentures out and you just put them in with adhesive, use this old trick. Eat a piece of chocolate. Believe it or not, this works well. Something in the chocolate makes the denture adhesive breakdown. This also helps in removing the "extra" adhesive from your mouth and what a fun way! Good luck. (06/11/2007)

By Monica

I found that, by putting only a very small amount of adhesive on my denture, I didn't have any residue, but it still held the denture in all day long. God bless you. (06/11/2007)

By tedsmom

Cold, cold water is the key. Even try sucking on an ice cube for a few seconds and it will come off quite easily. (06/11/2007)

By angel-on-board

I had problems as well. My dentist showed me what to do. Use water as hot as is comfortable. Swish it around and it 'melts' the glue, no matter what kind you use. Did you ever notice that when you eat hot foods, your dentures get loose? (06/12/2007)

By Dyann

You can also just use a toothpick to remove obvious dental adhesive from your front teeth. It's great for temporaries/flippers, to keep them comfortable and in place at the same time. (06/12/2007)

By pamphyila

If you use the powder kind it is easier and a lot less messy. It only leaves a light film that normal brushing takes off. Hope this helps. (09/08/2007)

By wvrdnkwmn

I found my solution for this. I'm using now Sea-Bond. Is easy to use, and easier to remove. I only have to rinse my mouth after use to feel my mouth fresh, no residue whatsoever. None in the dentures either, I only peel off the wafer and rinse the denture. It is a little more expensive, but from my perspective worth it. I hope this can help. (11/22/2008)

By CC -Hershey, PA

I remove my full upper denture. I then get a dry washcloth and clean the upper pallet of my mouth. The Fixodent comes right off on the dry wash cloth. Paper towels do not work. A dry wash cloth works wonders. (12/13/2010)

By 4tniyhearts