Removing Denture Adhesive from Your Mouth

Denture adhesive can remain stuck to your gums and the roof of your mouth after taking out your dentures. This is a guide about removing denture adhesive from my mouth.

How do I remove Fixadent from my gums?

By Teresa from VA

Best Answer

Rinse your mouth with as hot of water as you can stand, you may have to repeat a couple of times. I use a soft toothbrush also. I really miss brushing my teeth and the fresh taste of toothpaste and brushing my gums with toothpaste and a soft toothbrush helps a lot.

If you are like me you will find you are using too much denture adhesive. When it gets so you need to use more you really need to use liner. There is a real easy one to use just like the dentists use called permasoft. You can get from ebay the cheapest or from this lab

perma-laboratories.com/denture_reline.html for a couple of dollars more. I used it every three months or so when I first got my temporary dentures. It is a two part mix very easy to do. Good luck.

I have found that arm and hammer, peroxide toothpaste for healthy gums makes denture adhesive release from my mouth. I brush with it and rinse in warm water. When I rinse the adhesive is hanging loose and I remove it with a paper towel. I then wait an hour and drink a hot drink or a soda, both of which will remove any left. Before bed I re-brush with a toothpaste that tastes a little fresher as arm and hammer isnt very refreshing, and use an alcohol based mouthwash. I use Listerine. Works everytime.

For upper fixtures, the answer is: Sea Bond. Follow the instructions. Trim the back edge. Make the "V" cut. Trim the sides. Customize the front "V" area. Moisten the pad. Install one side at a time using the pinkie, being sure that the front portion of the second side overlaps the first side (not bunched in). Insert and hold about 15 seconds. Done. Cut and carry a replacement. For lower fixtures, suffer the minimal inconvenience of Fixodent.

I had a big problem with Polident sticking to my mouth and gums. I finally started rinsing my mouth hot water, after about 5 rinses it comes off really good.

Anonymous

You should be careful how much of the adhesive you swallow as it most likely contains zinc which can overtime cause health concerns.

Anonymous

Drink milk, or eat a bowl of cereal with milk. I find milk dissolves polygrip completely to the point that I have to reapply the adhesive if I am not yet ready to remove my dentures.

Anonymous

I use a dry towel that I have for this purpose only and wash after the day. It rubs most off. I use powdered Fixodent on top so no issues, its just for food seal. But my lowers never will fit because of extreme bone loss and a crooked jawline, i have to use a lot of fixodent cream only on lower. It gets all over, and if you pull it off soon after applying it can rip skin off with it! So I brush with water, then use towel. Then if bits are left scrape with my fingernail and discard. Then re brush. Then swish. I want to invent a gum scraper item just for this purpose though. I think Seabond is awful, slimy and doesnt work for bottems anyhow. I find if I use too much paste it seals worse than with a bit less. Also, if you sleep in dentures and wake up, remove them and the paste will come right off. Why? I guess gums change during sleep? But I am not supposed to sleep in my teeth. I accidently have though!

Anonymous

A teaspoon of salt with 7oz of really warm water. Swish hard and it goes away really fast.

Anonymous

Seabird feels like sticking peach skin to the roof of your mouth terrible stuff I want my old teeth back :*(

If you want dental adhesive goo from you mouth use orange juice. I ate a piece of orange and the goo disappeared immediately but I bet orange juice works as well.

I wear dentures and have to use adhesive. My question is, how can I easily get the adhesive from the roof of my mouth when I take out my dentures? I try brushing and it just doesn't work, and it is annoying to have the gunk still in my mouth after removing the dentures. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

jmz2005 from IL

Answers:

Removing Denture Adhesive from Mouth

The following site ( http://www.fixodent.com/tips_qa.html ) has this advice for their product:
"How do I remove adhesive residue?
To remove adhesive residue from your dentures, use a denture cleanser such as Fixodent® Denture Cleanser System with ProGuard. To remove adhesive residue from your mouth, gums, tongue, and palate, brush the roof of your mouth and gums with a soft-bristled toothbrush, toothpaste such as Crest®, and comfortably hot water." I hope this helps. (06/09/2007)

By Luvyabye

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I wash my hands and use a paper towel to pull the adhesive. This works very well for me. Also my fingers will get the rest. (06/10/2007)

By Jane

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

If you want to take your dentures out and you just put them in with adhesive, use this old trick. Eat a piece of chocolate. Believe it or not, this works well. Something in the chocolate makes the denture adhesive breakdown. This also helps in removing the "extra" adhesive from your mouth and what a fun way! Good luck. (06/11/2007)

By Monica

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I found that, by putting only a very small amount of adhesive on my denture, I didn't have any residue, but it still held the denture in all day long. God bless you. (06/11/2007)

By tedsmom

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

Cold, cold water is the key. Even try sucking on an ice cube for a few seconds and it will come off quite easily. (06/11/2007)

By angel-on-board

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I had problems as well. My dentist showed me what to do. Use water as hot as is comfortable. Swish it around and it 'melts' the glue, no matter what kind you use. Did you ever notice that when you eat hot foods, your dentures get loose? (06/12/2007)

By Dyann

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

You can also just use a toothpick to remove obvious dental adhesive from your front teeth. It's great for temporaries/flippers, to keep them comfortable and in place at the same time. (06/12/2007)

By pamphyila

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

If you use the powder kind it is easier and a lot less messy. It only leaves a light film that normal brushing takes off. Hope this helps. (09/08/2007)

By wvrdnkwmn

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I found my solution for this. I'm using now Sea-Bond. Is easy to use, and easier to remove. I only have to rinse my mouth after use to feel my mouth fresh, no residue whatsoever. None in the dentures either, I only peel off the wafer and rinse the denture. It is a little more expensive, but from my perspective worth it. I hope this can help. (11/22/2008)

By CC -Hershey, PA

Removing Denture Adhesive from My Mouth

I remove my full upper denture. I then get a dry washcloth and clean the upper pallet of my mouth. The Fixodent comes right off on the dry wash cloth. Paper towels do not work. A dry wash cloth works wonders. (12/13/2010)

By 4tniyhearts

If I accidentally use too much denture glue I suck on an Altoid, the peppermint ones are my favorite, and the sugar alcohol eats away the glue.