Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Restoring Shine To Dull Stone Countertops

I just installed granite counters in my kitchen. I have been cleaning it with only water and it is rather dull. What can I use to bring the shine back? I heard it is best to stay away from chemicals.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Pam Griffis [4]07/20/2010

Granite needs periodic polishing (and you need to put a sealer on it once a year). To save my arm from all that rubbing I bought an inexpensive electric car buffer from Costco for $20. I just go to my local tile store or you can find products at Home Depot, etc. to pick up one of their products to give my top a fresh look. I have several friends who swear by Glass Plus (not Windex) as a daily cleaner.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Restoring Shine To Dull Stone Countertops

How do I return the shine to my dark Silestone countertops? They always look dull after cleaning with soap and water which was recommended. They are only 2 years old.

Monica from New Braunfels, TX

RE: Restoring Shine To Dull Stone Countertops

Silestone recommends "Countertop Magic" which cleans and polishes countertops. But you might only have a water mineral deposit problem. Vinegar usually helps remove that. (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

I have Silestone counters in my kitchen. I love them, but how can I get them shiny looking like when they were installed?

By Wendy from Austin, TX

Dollar General has auto wipes, to clean dash and such. I use them on mine. It lasts a few weeks. There are at least 30 wipes in the container, @ 2.50. (12/03/2009)

By iamtheway